We are Eating Again -- Resistance is Futile Final update Tiffins 2/19

Niki Andiokno

DIS Veteran
Hi all! Niki here again with another Food & Wine Festival trip. We stayed at the Boardwalk Villas October 26 - 29, then moved to Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Sea World October 29 - November 3.

My cast of characters was a bit different this year, and none of us like having our pictures taken. We dont really have a good photo of us all, so I hope my friend Barb has at least one I can share. Here we are:

Me - I am a 50-something Disney Nut and Foodie. My favorite rides are roller coasters, and I am a member of American Coaster Enthusiasts. My favorite meals all include seafood. I am an equal opportunity drinker, so lots of wine and cocktails here.

Mike - My Dear husband. He loves Disney as well, and patiently waits until all food has been photographed before eating. He used to love coasters, but vertigo has taken that away. His favorite ride is Tower of Terror. He is a fish lover, especially if the head is on staring back at him.

Barb - my partner in food. We met through the Disboards, even though she lives near my hometown. Barb loves Flight of Passage. We talk about food all the time, so I am not really certain what her favorite is.

Krissie - one of my BFFs, Krissie is a fun loving girl. She loves the classic rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. She doesn't eat much at home, but she was a real trooper this trip. Her favorite foods include Starbucks, Indian flavors and lamb. She is definately my partner in drinking. She only stayed the first leg at Boardwalk.

Kev - Krissie's dear husband. This was his first trip since he was a child in the 70's. He went on every ride with me, and allowed me to stuff him with food and drink. He loved the food at Jiko, saying it was his favorite. He went home early with Krissie, of course.

We visited the following fine establishments;

Leaping Horse Libations
Jiko
Chefs de France Parisian Breakfast
Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Classic
Be Our Guest
Il Mulino Bubbles Brunch
Tutto Gusto Italian Wine Lunch
Flying Fish
Ale & Compass
La Hacienda
Homecomin'
California Grill
Bluezoo
Food & Wine booths
Woody's Lunchbox
Sassagoula Floatworks
Tiffans

We ate a LOT of great food. We ate so much that everyone (except me and Barb) started putting up a resistance early on. I was like a Food-Borg. You will eat. Resistance was futile.

Last edited:
We drove overnight from Chicago. We had hoped to start our vacation in Hollywood Studios, but traffic had other ideas. Chicago traffic was horrible. It rained the entire way. We hit 3 car accidents in Tennessee and 2 car accidents in Atlanta. Needless to say, I needed a drink upon 20181026_171544-1512x2016.jpg arrival.

Less than 5 minutes after check-in I was sitting at the bar at Leaping Horse Libations. The Muscato Coladak is no longer on the menu, but boardwalk has great bartenders who will make one for you if you ask. This is a thing of beauty. Pina Colada mix with Skyy muscato grape vodka and blue curacao. I asked him to make it strong, and he did. A perfect way to start vacation!

I love the way you started a vacation with a drink. It is the right way to get it started!

Looking forward to your report. You have a great lineup. Love the Borg reference:thumbsup2

Shortly after arrival, our friends were delivered by Magical Express. We had just enough time to clean up and get to Jiko for our dinner reservation.

Jiko is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. I love the dark interior. It is so cozy. I love the African décor. The staff is always so friendly. Our favorite server Shelley was not there, but The server we had was very nice. We sat in the wine room, which is a little room directly behind the waiting area. I really liked it.

We started our evening with a bottle of wine, De Toren Delicate. This is a very nice wine that reminds me of red cherry and caramel. Although it is a red, it is served lightly chilled. Perfect for a warm African climate. The entire export from this winery to the United States goes to Jiko. This wine is available nowhere else in America. I tried to purchase a bottle directly from the winery and was unable to do so. Needless to say, I took a bottle home.
20181112_132119-1512x2016.jpg

We began our food journey with Grilled Wild Boar Tenderloin - with Mealie Pap, Chakalaka, Truffle Oil and Micro Cilantro. I really love this dish. The flavors meld really well, and I love to sop up the sauce with extra bread. I swear I took a photo of our appetizers, but I can't find them.
20171022-174648-540x720.jpg

The bread service was a brown flax seed bread with honey butter. Perfect to shop up the Boar juice.
images-3-142x89.jpg

We also shared the Taste of Africa - African inspired Dips, traditional papadum, sesame fatir, house-made flax seed naan. The dipping sauce were red pepper hummus, red chili/curry, cucumber riatta and something like a pesto sauce. These probably aren't the actual names, but that is what they tasted like. We all really appreciated the spice and heat in these sauces, as well as the cool of the cucumber. I will definately do this again.
taste-of-africa-appetizer-412x309.jpg

Krissie and Kev were feeling a little veggie action with the Jiko Salad, - Epcot Land Pavilion greens, Heirloom Apples, Goat Cheese Spread, Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette, Sweet-and-Spicy Pumpkin Seeds. This was very good. I stole a little, of course.
o-1.jpg

We all felt like meat after our travels, so we split a couple entrees. Mrouzia-Syle Moroccan Lamb Tagine - parsnip silk, root spinach, medjool date smoor, pomegranate glaze and Botswana-Style Seswaa Beef Short Rib, - Istambu Samp and Beans, Sambal, Sukuma Wiki, Mushrooms. Both of these dishes were out of this world good! The tender lamb had a mild flavor, yet a ton of spicy goodness. The short rib was also nicely spiced. I often have issues with short rib because they can be fatty. Absolutely NO FAT on this dish. The ribs still had the rich flavor, but none of the fatty gristle part. Yum!!
20181026_193103-1512x2016.jpg

Finally, we had some dessert. We again shared these two.
Safari Sunset - carrot cake, cornbread calamansi and lemon cremeux, Kenyan coffee streusel, citrus gel, valrhona dulcey mousse, candied carrots and Kilimanjaro - Tanzanian chocolate mousse, pistachio financier, pink peppercorn meringue, cacao nib crunch, ras el hanout pineapples. Both of these were fantastic. The Kilimanjaro was right up my alley with all the chocolate. I'm not a huge carrot cake fan, so this was my favorite. The boys both had some specialty coffees. One had the Nutty African, Amarula, Grangelica and Coffee topped with whip cream. The other had Cape Town Coffee Van Fer Hum, Kahlua and Coffee topped with whip cream. I dont recall who drank what, but they were both a big hit.

I have reached my photo limit, so dessert in the next post.

Attachments

• 20171022-174648-540x720.jpg
    20171022-174648-540x720.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 6
  • images-3.jpg
    images-3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 6
  • taste-of-africa-appetizer-412x309.jpg
    taste-of-africa-appetizer-412x309.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
  • images-3-142x89.jpg
    images-3-142x89.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 4
I love the way you started a vacation with a drink. It is the right way to get it started!

No better way to start. Plus, I really needed that drink!

Looking forward to your report.
Thanks for joining.

Joining in!
Happy to see you

:laughing: Best line ever.......food-borg, priceless! Looking forward to more. :)
Thanks. I am such a Trekkie

May I join the fun? That list is a wonderful lineup! :-)
Welcome. Glad to have you.

Looking forward to your report. You have a great lineup. Love the Borg reference:thumbsup2
Thanks. Love the Borg (love/hate ya know)

Signing on!
Thanks for following

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!