We are Eating Again -- Resistance is Futile Final update Tiffins 2/19

Sorry the fried chicken was a bit of a disappointment but everything else looks phenomenal. Southern food isn't something I can really cook or that we can get very often so Homecoming is always a favorite of ours. Those biscuits especially are pure perfection!

My family is southern, and I gre up eating my Great Grandmother and Grandpa's cooking. Luckily I picked stuff up from them, as well as a great book by the owner of Callie's Southern Biscuits. Homecomin's biscuits were really good. All of the sides and apps were fantastic.

I can so go for that Homecoming Mac and Cheese and Hummingbird Cake.

That mac n' cheese was so good. The only one better is at Hominy Grill in Charleston South Carolina. I want to try the Shine cake so bad. Mike loves the Hummingbird cake too.

Catching up...

I really enjoy the beverage seminars - particularly when it’s either the winemaker or one of the owners/family who is presenting. But the pours are kinda silly. I get its $20 or whatever it is now but if you’re just following along with the presenter you need more than two teeny-tiny sips to appreciate what they’re saying and trying to highlight about the wine.

La Hacienda is one of my favorites too. I’ve eyed the corn soup but not tried it yet... will fix that next time!

Ah, California Grill. So good. And a great way to see Hallowishes without a party ticket.

Sorry you weren’t terribly impressed with the chicken at Homecomin’. The chicken thigh biscuits are my favorite but if you didn’t like the chicken might not be your thing. Those biscuits though... I think I saw recently that they’ve added some new menu items as well.

You are so right about the wine seminar. If you are not really a wine drinker, I guess a small taste would be enough. One can't even begin to discover the complexity of flavors the wine/champagne has to offer in such a small sip. You make a good point.

Take the plunge. Try that corn soup.TDF!

CG is the best Hallowishes seat available for me.

I intend to try the chicken and biscuits. The combination might make it better for me. I didn't think the chicken was bad really. I have just had better. The biscuits are lovely. I wish that Ham biscuit was still on the menu.

My favorite restaurant in WDW is Todd English's Bluezoo. The focus here is on seafood, and this place serves up some good fish. We met Barb and were seated in the beautiful blue dining room. This restaurant has a very calm atmosphere, and really does remind me of the aquarium it was named for.

We started out with wine and cocktails. I knew I would be eating seafood, so I had a glass of Chalk Hill Chardonnay. I really liked this bold buttery white. This is my kind of Chard. Mike had a red wine I dont recall, unfortunately. Barb had a cocktail. Here is a picture, but I don't recall what was in it. She liked it though.
20181101_200158-2268x3024.jpg
20181101_204338-2268x3024.jpg

Mike and I shared an appetizer. One of my favorite foods ever is the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare - Miso caviar, scallion cream, nitro sriracha aioli appetizer. This is miso marinated chopped raw tuna. What really makes this dish is the nitro sriracha aioli. Imagine dippin dots made of spicy sriracha mayo. The presentation is cool, as the ice cream is brought out smoking from the nitro. The wasabi sauce is really good too. Put it all together and you have a really tasty dish. I know I rave about this almost every trip report, but I just can't describe how much I love this dish!
20181101_202250-2268x3024.jpg

Barb was healthy and went with a salad. Fall Pear Salad - saffron poached pears, mixed lettuces, marcona almonds, point reyes blue cheese, port vinaigrette. She enjoyed it, but I recall she said something about the lettuce not being her favorite variety.
20181101_201817-2268x3024.jpg
For my entree I chose Simply Fish, - Daily selection of finest fresh fish selected from coastal waters around the world, simply grilled on our teppanyaki grill, served with choice of sauce: warm crabmeat, dijon mustard, chives sauce. My fish was grouper. It was very mild. The texture was meaty. The crab sauce was fabulous!! Huge chunks of crab really made this sauce delicious.
20181101_203548-2268x3024.jpg
Every time we go into Bluezoo, Mike eyes This Evening's Dancing Fish - heart's of palm puree, roasted marble potatoes, piquillo relish. Basically the whole fish are standing upright on skewers circling in a carousel of fish. The fish sizzle and move as they spin, so called 'dancing' fish. He lived this. He said it tasted like Filipino comfort food, as the family cook he had growing up made something similar. He loved it, and still talks about it at home.
20181101_203524-2268x3024.jpg
Barb ordered the Filet of Beef - salsify puree, forest mushrooms, pearl onion petals, boursin cheese potatoes, bordelaise. She really enjoyed this. I have tried this several times when here with my BFF Sally. This filet is one of the best I have had. Really great steak for a seafood restaurant.
20181101_203834-2268x3024.jpg
We finished with dessert. I dont see it o the menu, but it was a wonderful chocolate cake. Todd English always makes exceptional desserts.
20181101_212030-2268x3024.jpg 20181101_211906-2268x3024.jpg

We LOVED everything about our meal. Makes me want to go back right now.

I am laughing so hard... I thought we were Disney food kindred spirits based on your other posts but this seals the deal. That is my EXACT order at Bluezoo, down to the wine. I ADORE that tuna appetizer!! And the simply fish with the crab sauce is always a winner. Bluezoo is a must do for me every trip.

I am laughing so hard... I thought we were Disney food kindred spirits based on your other posts but this seals the deal. That is my EXACT order at Bluezoo, down to the wine. I ADORE that tuna appetizer!! And the simply fish with the crab sauce is always a winner. Bluezoo is a must do for me every trip.

Haha, we are soul food sisters Christine! We know good food. The tuna and simply fish are two of the best things I have eaten. Bluezoo is a must for me too. I have a trip planned the end of May. We have decided to do all "new" restaurants to switch things up a bit. I will definitely miss Bluezoo!

After Bluezoo, we totally hit the food wall. Mike had actually hit it long ago, but carried on for my sake because, ya know, Resistance is Futile. Anyway, we ditched all of the rest of our ADR. I think Barb was a trooper and carried on longer than we did. Thanks to her, I was able to get a few more treats in that Mike would have refused.

We met at Hollywood Studios the last full day of our trip. By the time we got there, Barb was at Woody's Lunchbox. She knew I wanted to try a pop tart, so she ordered while we entered the park. She ordered a bunch of food for herself too, so we had to help her LOL.

She got two items off the children's menu. First up, S'more French Toast Sandwich Meal - sandwich half with marshmallow and chocolate ganache stuffed in grilled custard soaked brioche encrusted with graham cracker crumbs served with a Cuties mandarin and potato barrels with your choice of beverage. This was really good, but super super sweet. We are talking sugar coma guys. Hop your kid up on this stuff and she will be zinging all day. It came with a cutie which we saved for later and potato barrels. This was my first ever potato barrel. I lived it!! This really reminded me of my childhood, eating tater tots for breakfast.
20181102_093638-2268x3024.jpg
Smoked Turkey Breakfast Sandwich Meal - sandwich half with thick-sliced smoked turkey breast, melted Swiss cheese, sauteed green pepper, onions and scrambled eggs on grilled sourdough served with a Cuties Mandarin and potato barrels with your choice of beverage. This was right up my alley! I live turkey, and rarely have it at home because Mike isn't a fan. The cheese was thick and gooey. There was a lot of meat on it too.
20181102_093624-2268x3024.jpg

I want to mention how large this kids meal was. The half sandwich was really as big as a normal whole sandwich you would make at home. Unless you are a really big eater, are starved or plain to share I think the kid meal is the way to go.

Finally, my pop tart. Chocolate-Hazelnut Lunch Box Tart - chocolate-hazelnut stuffed pastry coated in maple fondant and candied bacon. I have to admit I really wanted the raspberry one, but so Mike could try it I got the nutella one. I liked this a lot. Not sure about the bacon though. I am not a bug sweet with savory fan. Didn't really taste the bacon though, so good for me. Much better than the pop tarts of my childhood. Barb had the raspberry one earlier in the week, and said she liked it better. I must have one of those next time.
20181102_093607-2268x3024.jpg

Overall this was a good breakfast that kept us filled til late that night. I can't wait to try what other offerings they have. Barb says the grilled cheese is fantastic.

Barb and I rode everything that Mike will not, Slinky Dog Dash, Star Tours and my first Frozen Sing Aolng!! We had a great time.

Last edited:
I am so mad at myself because I forgot all about this spot when I was there last time. The loaded tater tots or whatever they’re called have my name all over them.

Hey - did you see the dates from Swan & Dolphin Classic were set? A week later than usual, I think. 11/8-9. That’s Veteran’s Day weekend. I’m contemplating a long weekend to give it another try.

Your Bluezoo meal looks and sounds incredible. Jason and I have been twice but have just had apps Since its not as kid friendly as most other Disney places sadly it is not in our normal rotation.

We were big fans of Woodys pop tarts too, though like you I was jonesing for the raspberry but went for the hazelnut to make the family happy.

I am so mad at myself because I forgot all about this spot when I was there last time. The loaded tater tots or whatever they’re called have my name all over them.

Hey - did you see the dates from Swan & Dolphin Classic were set? A week later than usual, I think. 11/8-9. That’s Veteran’s Day weekend. I’m contemplating a long weekend to give it another try.

The loaded potato barrels do look fabulous. That dish is definitely on my list for the next trip.

I did see the dates for next year's Swan & Dolphin classic. I am so bummed that my annual pass expires October 27. I had already booked my dates. I am thinking of doing a long weekend like you. I am checking flights daily. Hope we both go. Would love to meet you.

Your Bluezoo meal looks and sounds incredible. Jason and I have been twice but have just had apps Since its not as kid friendly as most other Disney places sadly it is not in our normal rotation.

We were big fans of Woodys pop tarts too, though like you I was jonesing for the raspberry but went for the hazelnut to make the family happy.

Blue zoo is definitely not kid friendly. Casey is so well behaved, but I'm sure it could be too much for her. Check to see if they still give 2 hours free kid club. That way everyone could be happy.

O the sacrifices we make for families lol. I will get the raspberry pop tart. I will Dang it!

Our last night we spend hanging out at Magic Kingdom . After riding the rides we had missed, we decided we actually felt like eating. Nothing in Magic Kingdom appealed to us, so we decided some Biegnet were in order.

We headed to Port Orleans French Quarter. Sassagoula Floatwords and Food Factory.

Once there, we decided to look around and get something more substantial. I looked at Pixxa but decided against it.
20181102_204325-2268x3024.jpg

Instead I got Jambalaya - chicken and andouille sausage with vegetables cooked in a rich, spicy sauce with rice. This was really good. The andouille was spicy, but didn't have as much heat as I would nbn have liked. The flavors maxed well, and it was a huge portion. We definately could have shared. The cornbread was really very good. Just a little sweet.
20181102_205528-2268x3024.jpg

Mike got a Po' Boy - Shrimp dressed with lettuce, tomato, and remoulade. This was good too it had lots of shrimp. This wasn't a sandwich you could pick up. It needed a knife and fork. The only problem was that the bread was pretty tough. Fries were ok.
20181102_205531-2268x3024.jpg

Finally, the beignet shaped like Mickey. I was surprised that the texture were changed al8ng with the shape. I didn't like them as .uch as the square ones.
20181102_231536-2268x3024.jpg

I still like this CS. We will do it again.-

On our last day we went to Animal Kingdom to hit some things we had previously missed. Plus, I love this park, and was hoping it would take me out of my funk getting ready to leave Disney. I was also bummed we had cancelled our Morimoto Asia reservation. I was determined to have one last Disney meal, although the Resistance was pretty high at this point I convinced Mike by suggesting Tiffins, as we had never been there before. Yay!

We each started off with a glass of wine. Mike had the Den, like the bottle we had polished off in the room was not enough LOL. He really enjoyed it.
20181103_122345-2268x3024.jpg
I tried the Cederberg Shiraz. I always love the Cederberg Bukettraube, a slightly sweet yet citrusy white, so I figured I would give this red a try. It was good, but I prefer the white.
20181103_122413-2268x3024.jpg
We decided to go with the pre fixe lunch menu.
Chef's Lunch Tasting Menu - Choice of One Appetizer AND One Entree OR Choice of One Entree AND Dessert Appetizer Options: Avocado and Tomato Salad OR Spiced Chickpea Falafel Entree Options: Wagyu Beef Tagine OR Paella. We ordered both appetizers and entrees.

First some bread. This was like naan, but heavier. It was ok.
20181103_123310-2268x3024.jpg
Next the avocado tomato salad. This was good as well. The better of the two apps.
20181103_123508-2268x3024.jpg
The falafel was good too, but not great. Kind of plain flavor. The serving size was really big though.
20181103_123504-2268x3024.jpg
Entrees were a step up. The beef tangine was really good.
20181103_125152-2268x3024.jpg
The paella was also good, but the flavors were a bit different than I am used to. Not Caribbean, nor Spanish. Unusual flavor, but very good. It needed some seafood other than shrimp to be real paella.

20181103_125148-2268x3024.jpg
What we had for dessert is no longer on the menu. We had a trio of sorbet, lychee, raspberry and ube. I am not typically an ube (purple yam) fan, but this wasn't bad. Pretty good for an ube dessert. The raspberry was great and a bit tart, and the lychee was heaven. The mango coulis was awesome. Although small, the flavors were huge. I enjoyed dessert the best.
20181103_131606-2268x3024.jpg

Tiffins was good. I am glad we tried it. It doesn't hold up to Jiko though. Next time we will just try the Nomad lounge.

Well, that's it folks. Thanks for following along. It was a great trip with way too much food. I enjoyed every bite!

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with all of us again. Glad Tiffins was a solid last meal, though I like you think Jiko is the superior experience. And of course I'd never turn down an opportunity for some Nomads :-)

It looks like a great time! I don't think I've ever seen anyone review Tutto Gusto. Now you have me wondering whether I should cancel our Via Napoli ADR and just go there...

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures with all of us again. Glad Tiffins was a solid last meal, though I like you think Jiko is the superior experience. And of course I'd never turn down an opportunity for some Nomads :-)
Jiko is far superior IMHO. I enjoyed the experience but I'm not sure I'll be running back any time soon. The lounge however may be another story.
Great report! Tiffins looks yummy, hope to try it one of these days.
I would definitely try Tiffin's. It was good.
It looks like a great time! I don't think I've ever seen anyone review Tutto Gusto. Now you have me wondering whether I should cancel our Via Napoli ADR and just go there...
The food at Tutto Gusto was really good. My review was of a special wine luncheon their. While they do have a small menu, nothing like what we had. I don't think you could go wrong eating there even without the full menu. The small plates look fantastic. I have never tried Via Napoli so I can't compare.

Thanks everyone for following me to the end.

Thanks for a great report . And for the warning about the new Mickey beignets at POFQ. The regular ones worked good for 20+ years, why change :confused3

Thanks for a great report . And for the warning about the new Mickey beignets at POFQ. The regular ones worked good for 20+ years, why change :confused3

Right? Why do that? I am positive they won't sell more just because they are Mickey shaped. Why change a good thing that works for something that looks better but isn't as good quality. Pretty disappointing.

Thanks for reading the whole thing.

Thanks for the power read. We like to try different things, and have a pretty broad palate. I hope my review helps someone to try new things.

The next morning we.attended one of my most favorite events at the Food & Wine festival, the Parisian Breakfast at Le Chefs de France. This is an all you can eat buffet consisting of French pastries, cheese and cold meats. The fact that it also includes unlimited mimosa (or just nice champagne if you are a lush like me.) Plus at a $35 price point you can't go wrong. Did I say French pastries?

Is this offered only on certain days of F&W- do you know offhand?

I don't comment very often but, OMG woman, you've inspired half my dining bucket list for when DH and I go for our 20th...in 2021 :( I'm going to try and schedule the trip with the Il Mulino brunch, visit Tutto Gusto for a luncheon, Chefs de France breakfast, Blue Zoo and Jiko (both of which I've been trying to make happen the last two trips). Yum!

My last trip was a girls' vacation with my cousin. We managed to put away 6 Annapurna Zings and a few appetizers between us, after a big lunch and beer at Satuli. Our service wasn't great but we sat on a big ole sectional couch enjoying the view for a couple of hours, at least. We were in a great mood when we left!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!