We are there

Obviously everyone has a breaking point - and going to Disney should be something you enjoy and feel like you are getting proper return on your investment ... if that isn't there, you shouldn't go

I do think there are ways to do Disney cheaper - we stay off site, share meals, get the free water at quick service locations, etc. - and still have a great time ... but I am sure we will get to a breaking point eventually as well

Problem is, there seems to be people to take the spots of those that no longer go - and that will only be easier once Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens. So in the short term I think Disney is just fine .... now, for the longer term, that is a different question

I get it. It makes me pause and reevaluate my vacation priorities. Our current trend of a family disney trip every 3 years will likely hold for the foreseeable future.

We enjoy each of our other vacation destinations for different reasons. We do Disney for the whimsy, the bubble, and the abundance of options. There are no must-dos for us. If something isn’t available or within budget or timely, then we have dozens of other fun options to choose from. This isn’t always the case at other destinations and we factor that in.

Heard on the podcast several times that we shouldn’t complain about the price, unless you aren’t going to go anymore.

We are there. High prices combined with the loss of the Disney customer service.

We just can’t do it.

This post is pretty worthless without context.

What prices do you find objectionable?

What problems with customer service did you encounter?

We're also at that point. We have tried to save and make smart choices for our trips, but I feel like this year was our breaking point. Add in that our son is now 3, so we're buying an extra ticket makes for even more expense.

Thankfully, our personal situation is changing very soon (yay Florida residents!) so our method of "doing Disney" will be wildly different. We will now be AP holders, day guests only. Disney will not get my money for hotel rooms, "overnight parking" or many of the other inflated charges they are working on. We will still buy a CS meal in the park on days we visit, but gone are the pricey table service/character meals and gobs of souvenirs.

I think it's a cop-out saying that people shouldn't complain about the price if they are still going.

Sadly Disney has created an experience that is difficult to replicate in any other way.
Now coming from the U.K to Disney World it is very expensive and for some it is their only vacation of the year or even for a few years.
Some people are lucky and live closer, or have the ability to live to closer, so the costs don't affect their only vacation to Disney for years.

This isn't just popping to the cinema and it seems more expensive each time you go but you still go.

People put so much into it and things like hurricanes and personal health can ruin such an expensive vacation quickly.

When you see record profits but your experience is diminishing in comparison to how much you previously spent, you have a right to voice your opinion, regardless on whether you still go again.

Just because people are going doesn't mean they are not making sacrifices more and more to pay for it.
And just because you can "afford" to make them sacrifices doesn't make the costs okay.

I would understand if the park was making big losses, then yes fair enough.
I'll go again maybe in a few years, last time I went I booked 16 months in advance.
I'll struggle and skimp and save the next time I go to be able to afford it, because sadly there isn't an experience like it. But it's becoming a bigger gamble to take each time as I have no control over what happens between booking and arriving.
But some days it is worth it and some days it isn't and some days it is just nostalgia pulling on my heartstrings.

Heard on the podcast several times that we shouldn’t complain about the price, unless you aren’t going to go anymore.

We are there. High prices combined with the loss of the Disney customer service.

We just can’t do it.
Sadly been in the same boat with you for 5 years now, and for the foreseeble future. :(

Sadly been in the same boat with you for 5 years now, and for the foreseeble future. :(

As you probably know, we are locals with AP. But, this is unwelcome news for everyone in my opinion. The only way I can foresee a change in a reduction in pricing is for an economic collapse in the U.S.

We would stay onsite for the experience, but not sure I can justify the parking fee(s). I know there will be a line of folks willing to take that spot, but I'm not going to pressed into a financial corner given our position.

The price increases for everything year to year and lowering of quality and service is mostly noticed by the guests that return frequently, the loyal guest.

It may be a price increase at a restaurant you notice, or how the samples at the food and wine went from $1.50 over the years to $6, or the your favorite pastry you get every year is gone now, replaced by a pre packaged low quality replacment

Maybe you notice the Magic Kingdom is closing early AGAIN for ANOTHER hard ticket event.

Maybe you are a AP holder and its time to renew and notice how much the price went up and then review past few years and see just how fast the price went up.

Maybe you are one of those loyal visitor who always travels by car and stays on site and now are hit with the new parking fees.

There are many, many more examples where Disney raises prices and lowers quality. Disney will continue to push the envelope until something changes to force them to correct themselves.

Everyone has their own unique breaking point. My family will eventually have to decide when enough is enough and decide if its time to "take a vacation from our Disney vacation".

Last edited:
Maybe you are one of those loyal visitor who always travels by car and stays on site and now are hit with the new parking fees.

You bring up a lot of good points, but this is pure speculation and doesn't really belong with your other (factual) observations.

The paying for parking thing is absolute garbage. It won’t affect me because I never have a car there but it’s gotta suck for a family staying for a week and now has to add an extra $100 - 150 more to their trip for literally nothing; nothing that wasn’t free two weeks ago.

I’m usually someone who says “if you’re going and gonna pay it, don’t complain” but this is ridiculous.

Ok more context.

We used to go down one or two times a year. Now we haven’t been since ‘15 and I don’t see us going back soon because although I still love Disney, I feel it’s lost it’s value.

Disney has always been a bit on the expensive side. I also am not faulting Disney for making money, I get that too.

I feel though it’s lost value for two main reasons.

1) I was always willing to pay extra because their service was stellar, which is largely gone now for all but the deluxe hotels.

2) It used to fell egalitarian to me. Once I was through the gate, everyone was largely treated the same, had the same experience and everything was largely included. I didn’t worry about money anymore once I was in, Anne that felt freeing and relaxing. Now, they have gone to nickel and diming you to death, and the parking at resorts when you are already paying an huge premium to stay is really over the top for me.

So I’m not leading a charge, or even angry or upset at Disney. I just have found the place where it isn’t a value. Considering the conversational reference over the years on the podcast, I guess I posted out of curiosity to see if I was alone.

Scotte

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter