• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

we finally got it ...help!

motheroftwo

Earning My Ears
Hi! I love the info on these boards... "Disney" people are about the best!

Well, after months of saving up and waiting for the great deals we heard of at RV shows we finally got our camper. We had originally thought of getting a class c motorhome, but then the family van got a little worn out and the new vehicle took priority... So we got a 2001 Ford Explorer with a v-8 that could tow a hybrid camper.
And well, we finally picked it up on Tuesday. It is a Jayco 23' kiwi with a slide out sofa.
I was very nervous about towing it - it is big!!! But hubby, did just great! and it only took him 2 attempts to back it up into the driveway!!! And it only took about 25 minutes to unhitch and set up, not too bad for first timers.

Anyway.... Here are the questions:

What are the important things to get and not forget (EVER ) when we go camping?

Where are some great places to go camping? (east coast preferred, already planning the trip to Mt. Rushmore and Badlands for next summer, and Disneyworld is a given)

What are some neat tricks to optimize the space in the large (but not plentiful) storage cabinets?

Any info would be great!!!! (Disneyworld in 65 days - don't tell the kids!)

Congratulations on your new trailer! You are going to have so much fun!! :D

Let's start a list of must-have's for camping:

1. mosquito/bug repellant
2. charcoal/lighter fluid
3. pots/pans
4. dishes & silverware
5. dish towels/dish cloths
6. dish soap
7. coffee pot
8. crockpot (especially useful for those long days at the parks - dinner is ready when you get back!)
9. pillows/sheets/blankets
10. washrags/towels
11. flashlights
12. mat/rug to put outside the door to wipe off shoes, or take them off before stepping in (Fort Wilderness sells nice ones!)

ok...I have to get back to work - someone else start adding to the list! :D :D

Congratulations on your purchase, Jayco is an excellent company and they stand behind their product. Be sure you have good sway control on your hitch set up, you can visit my hitch page to see what type are available: Our Hitch Guide

Below is a partial list of what we usually take, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the length of the trip and how far in advance we plan it (I Love those spur of the moment trips so we try and leave the trailer packed most of the time) weight has to be a consideration, so if you can, travel with your tanks empty and be sure to evenly distribute the weight of the items you pack.

okay here is our list:
25 Foot 30 Amp extension cord
30 Amp to 50 Amp Pigtail Adapter
2 -15 Amp heavy duty extension cords
2 Sets of Linx Levelers
2-4 Plastic Wheel Chocks
Awning Lights
Lighted Hidden Mickey's
Name Sign
Large Electric Griddle
Portable Charcoal Grill
Bikes
Chairs
Citronella Candles
Portable Cabana - for the designated smoking area, they can not smoke under the awning
Coolers
Pool Floats
Legos - Toys
Indoor / Outdoor Carpet

as you can see we kind of go overboard, but then thats what makes our trips "Griswolds Vacations" no offense to the camping griswolds
;) it just seems whatever can happen does happen to us:crazy: :D

Don't forget rainy day games, not just for the kids, but for yourself too. It's a good idea to have some games that you leave in the RV so that you don't get tired of them too soon. A deck of cards, a crossword book, and a puzzle are all good choices.

Don't forget a water hose, rope or line for hanging wet towels and bathing suits, clothespins, and most especially a well supplied tool box, including a hammer, flat and phillips head screwdrivers, pliers, and electrical tape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter