We Saw, We Ate, We Walked...A Lot

Planner2012

Mouseketeer
Hi all! We just got back from an amazing week at Disney World. This was supposed to be our last trip, but I'm wavering on that one! Thought I would get over some of the vacation-over blues by posting a quick report of the food we had on our trip. There are some photos, but we often forgot to take any. Oops!

**Edit - I have uploaded my photos to Flickr as they were too big to copy & paste from my phone. Not sure how to put them into this report. If anyone can help, please let me know & I will add the pictures. Thanks**

Sassagoula Food Court - we stayed at POFQ for 3 nights and ate at the food court a few times. The beignets were awesome! The pizza not so much. We also really liked the make your own pasta. The food court could be busy at certain times of the day, but overall we had a positive experience.

Garden Grill Breakfast - we have eaten here a few times for dinner, but never for breakfast. We had a reservation prior to park open in the hopes of eating and heading to Soarin'. As these things go Soarin' was down until much later in the morning, so plan wrecked. On the plus side though the food was good and we got to ride Test Track at park open with a minimal wait. Score!

The POG juice was delicious. The fruit salad was good, but had a lot of melon (cantaloupe & honey dew which none of us are fans of). The giant cinnamon roll was nice & flaky. On the platter there was scrambled eggs, tater tots, sausage, bacon & mickey waffles. Everything was nice & hot. For condiments we got syrup, ketchup, salsa & warm hazelnut chocolate sauce (Nutella?). Loved the waffles with the chocolate sauce!

La Cantina de San Angel - the plan was to skip lunch after our big breakfast, but we were starving so stopped in Mexico for a quick bite. We got the kids chicken tacos which included 2 tacos, lots of tortilla chips & apple slices. The tacos were good and the chips filling. Although the chips could have had more salt on them. The apple slices were also good which we found surprising. I've bought sliced apples before and they were smushy, but these were nice & crisp. We also had the kids chicken tenders which were a large portion (3 I think), lots of chips & apple slices. Also an order of the kids macaroni & cheese which 2 of our party voted the "best macaroni & cheese ever." So there you go :)

Beaches & Cream - we ate here for dinner. We weren't super hungry as we had eaten earlier in Mexico so my mom & I split the Angus Beef Burger (blend of ground angus brisket and short rib with cheddar cheese, lettuce & tomato on a freshly baked bun). It was really good and I liked that they split the burger & fries in the kitchen before bringing it out. One of the best burgers I have ever had and the fries were nice & hot. DD had the Turkey Club Sandwich (with bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise on toasted white bread) with fries. She said it was good, but had never had a club sandwich so didn't love the amount of bread involved. DS also had the burger & enjoyed it.
We thought the restaurant was cute & liked seeing other families order the Kitchen Sink. Strangely we didn't find anything that appealed to us on the dessert menu but instead decided to wander over to Ample Hills.

Ample Hills Creamery - we taste tested a few flavours before settling on Lemon Sky, Ooey Gooey Butter Cake (the hands down favourite), and Coffee Toffee Coffee. With the heat we decided getting our ice cream in cups was the safer choice so we ate it while wandering around the Boardwalk. I wish we had made it back here during the trip, but sadly it never happened. I would definitely order Ooey Gooey Butter Cake again. Yum!

On to day 3...

Day 3 - Today we rope dropped Hollywood Studios, took the boat over to Epcot & then went to Disney Springs. Here's what we did on the food front:

Sci-Fi Diner - this place has always been a must do on each trip. We love the atmosphere and the food has been consistently good. Not so much this trip. We were seated a little after our ADR time which wasn't a big deal. We got a 6 person car with those in the backseat in the middle of their meal. To start the restaurant was cold. Not just chilly, but freezing. Not sure if we were sitting really close to an air conditioning vent, but it was icy. Once seated we waited, and waited, and waited... It took 15 minutes before our server appeared and then another 10 before we had drinks. We saw other tables get much faster service. Not sure what was up with our server. When we finally got our food it wasn't great. DS had the kids macaroni & cheese which he didn't like at all (but that could also just be him as he is picky). DD & my mom both got the Smoked Prime Rib Sandwich which they said was okay. I got the American Burger which wasn't good. The best part of the meal was the fries. I would still give it another chance as this could just be a bad day, but it is no longer a must do for us.

Sunshine Seasons - we took the boat over to Epcot to ride Soarin' and thought we would have a treat first cause we're on vacation :-) DD & my mom had the rose gold cupcake. They both really liked it. DS had an m&m cookie which he thought was good. I had the strawberry shortcake which I really enjoyed.

Earl of Sandwich - after Epcot we took the bus to Disney Springs. DS really wanted to go to The Void (which was really fun. much better than I thought it would be). We had dinner at Earl of Sandwich. To be honest, no one was really all that hungry, but we though we should eat something. DS had a kids grilled cheese which was a kids grilled cheese. I had the caprese which was okay. I don't remember what DD had but she ate it all. My mom just had coffee.

Day 4 we switch resorts & head to Magic Kingdom...

Day 4 - we were up nice & early to switch from POFQ to the Poly. My dream resort!! Once we checked in & stored our bags we headed over to the Magic Kingdom.

Be Our Guest - we had pre-ordered our meals so, after checking in, went right into the restaurant. We saw quite a few people standing on the bridge waiting to get in to order. When we had checked in they gave us a yellow rose (as opposed to a red one like we had received in the past). I handed the rose in and paid for our meals. This time they kept the rose and she told me that they would bring us our meals by "magic." My mom had never been here before so we walked around and looked at the 3 dining rooms. The ballroom was packed & very noisy (sound really echoes in there). My mom wanted to eat in the rose gallery which was much quieter. DD & DS both had the turkey sandwich which they liked. DD in fact said this was her favourite meal of the trip! My mom had the beef dip which she really enjoyed. I had the pork tenderloin which was as good as I remembered it. We had also decided to share 3 cupcakes: lemon, strawberry & chocolate. The lemon was the best of the bunch but none were very good. We would definitely eat here again, minus the cupcakes.

Pineapple Lanai - we got an email that our room was ready about 3:30pm so we headed back over to the Polynesian. Before going to our room we stopped and got dole whip floats. Yum! As much as we loved eating beignets at POFQ, the dole whip float won out as our favourite treat of the vacation. We had some form of dole whip every day. So good!

Capt. Cook's - we hung out at the resort for the night and planned to watch fireworks from the beach. We saw the electric water pageant (which I love), but went to bed before fireworks (boo!). For dinner, DD had the Pepperoni Flatbread. She said it was okay but kinda greasy. DS had a Hamburger which he said was good. My mom had the Hawaiian Flatbread which she enjoyed. I had the Pulled Pork Nachos. I really like these. The pork was nice & tender, chips crisp and I like the pineapple for a little sweetness. I would definitely order these again. We had planned to eat here again during the trip, but we never made it back.

Day 5 EMM at Hollywood Studios & then to Animal Kingdom for FOP FP...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!