We want to move to Florida!! Where can we get advice on where to go?!

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
We are sick and tired of the weather in New England and travel to Disney 5 times a year. We have decided it is time to move down to sunny Florida and start a new and exciting life! We have 2 kids, 4 and 2. We would like to be in a town close to Disney and all Orlando has to offer without being in Orlando. What towns are close (within an hour drive) that are good for a family with children? We would like a good school system in a town with several shops/restaurants/things to do where the cost of living is affordable!! Any ideas from you Dis'ers?? Help us find places to look!!!

We did something very similar. We lived in the mid-Atlantic and were just tired of winter and wanted to go somewhere warm. The Orlando area was a consideration for sure, but honestly we decided we didn't want to be THAT close to Disney because we felt it may loose some of its' luster if we went every weekend. We settled on Atlanta.

When we were looking, we started looking hard at towns called Lake Mary or Maitland. But for really good info, I'd suggest City-Data. It's got a lot of good info, plus a forum dedicated specifically to local metro areas. Great resource.

Both jobs and housing are almost impossible to find right now due to the influx of thousands of Puerto Ricans headed (or are now) here due to Maria. Schools are also taking a huge hit. Unless you already have a confirmed job please don't move here.

I have to agree on the job thing--once you have an offer in hand, you'll be able to narrow down the neighborhood search. I know for DH, he has to live within a certain driving time of his place of employment--that, and special needs for our kids (specifically, a good school with a strings program) really limited our choices on our last move.

You don't want to get your heart set on a neighborhood, then find out that you have a 90-minute commute through rush-hour heck. Once you have a job, ask co-workers about decent neighborhoods with good schools and whatever other priorities you may have (walking neighborhood, close to parks, whatever).

Both jobs and housing are almost impossible to find right now due to the influx of thousands of Puerto Ricans headed (or are now) here due to Maria. Schools are also taking a huge hit. Unless you already have a confirmed job please don't move here.

Valid points! My co-worker is taking in her step-son (high school) and his younger brother into her home. Bio mom is flying them in from PR over the holiday and she has to go back to PR to work, but there are no schools for the kids, so co-worker (who has a 5 year old of her own) is taking them in. She is great, she is even taking in the step-sons younger sibling that is not her DH son. She is going from it being just her, her DH, and 5 year old to having three boys full time for an undetermined amount of time. They have already worked everything out with the schools for them to start in January. It will be interesting to see how many new students show up at Florida schools in January.

I have to agree on the job thing--once you have an offer in hand, you'll be able to narrow down the neighborhood search. I know for DH, he has to live within a certain driving time of his place of employment--that, and special needs for our kids (specifically, a good school with a strings program) really limited our choices on our last move.

You don't want to get your heart set on a neighborhood, then find out that you have a 90-minute commute through rush-hour heck. Once you have a job, ask co-workers about decent neighborhoods with good schools and whatever other priorities you may have (walking neighborhood, close to parks, whatever).

Agree, traffic here is terrible. It took me 45 minutes to get home tonight and I live 8 miles from my office. #Not kidding.

I agree with finding jobs first, then start looking. With kids that are almost school age, you'll want to make sure you're in a good district before moving. Although there are some very good schools in Florida, in general, many public schools are not that great. You'll definitely want to do your research.

Why would you even think about moving without having jobs lined up first? Then decide where to live within commuting distance of your job.

We have looked into it a few times; the flora and fauna is the ONLY thing holding me back. Oh, and the job thing. I understand the desire to be free of winter and to start over new. I hope it works out for you!

Having moved from KC to Orlando about two years ago, a couple of things. Make sure you have a job lined up before you move, I strongly suggest NOT buying a house before you move, atleast move down here and get an idea where you want to live before you actually build/buy a house. Last, Don't buy a house anywhere near the WDW/Universal attractions, or I-4, especially I-4.

I am moving to Davenport, but I have heard Clermont/Oakland, which is a new area north of the city (but right off the turnpike), is very nice.

Jennifer

I'm from Jupiter (about 2.5 hour drive south of WDW) and lived in the Orlando area for a few years during college. There are a lot of 'suburb' cities to Lake Buena Vista. But I agree with what many of others have said, depending on your field jobs can be difficult to come by. If you are in retail or the hospitality industry you should be able to find something without too much difficulty. But other than that... good luck!

That being said I will answer your question:
Lake Mary - North of Orlando
Appopka - NW of Orlando
Stanford - NE of Orlando
Winter Garden - West of Orlando

The airport is on the south side of Orlando and UCF is on the east side. While neither of these areas are particularly "bad" they are just very populated with traffic and take a long time to get a short distance. Personally I wouldn't recommend either area as I find them both frustrating to no end. But everyone is different in their wants. Also the coasts aren't too far away on either side. Tampa has some very nice suburbs as does Daytona.

Wow folks, give her some credit. I'm sure that the OP knows jobs and schools need to be researched. Once she chooses a general area, they can start applying for jobs in their chosen area BEFORE they move. I don't get the feeling they are packing up and heading to a new city without jobs and schools lined up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter