Wearing a sundress to the parks - any issues you've come across?

It's not so much the straddle rides, but rides you step down into, or up out of that have flash potential. Space mountain has been brought up. I would add kali river rapids to that list of rides to be cautious on. While seated myself, a young lady stepped into the ride and paused there on the step for what seemed a long time to me. She was unaware that owing to her position and posture, me and my neighbors were eye to eye with her unobstructed nethers.

She was unencumbered, beyond the ineffectual dress skirt, by any other attempt to rein that in down there. Generally I'm far from a prude, a panty flash is not the end of the world in my household but ... I had to cough politely to get this kind soul to drop the curtain on that show, so to speak.
Hilarious!

This thread is reminding me of something that happened to a friend of mine. She was on vacation in Florida and went to a local park with her husband and ten-year-old son.
They were sitting at a picnic table, and all of a sudden, she felt something move under her sundress. She leapt to her feet, and realized that a gecko had crawled under her dress! Apparently she turned into a whirling dervish, complete with windmilling arms , trying to get the lizard out of her dress. At one point, she said her dress was completely over her head. I asked if she was wearing full coverage underwear, and she said, "Not even close." Apparently it was very traumatic/embarrassing for her son! I still laugh out loud when I think about it. Lesson learned: Don't wear a thong under a sundress!

Wearing coverage under skirts and dresses is always a good idea no matter where you are, no matter how old you are, even if not worried about wind/rides, for there are unfortunately peepers on purpose out there, I'm sure, even at Disney.

I've never had issues wearing dresses or skirts, and definitely don't wear shorts under them - like OP says, would defeat the purpose of being cool. That's all I wear, so am used to knowing how to keep it in place - plus don't wear billowy ones there.

I've never had issues wearing dresses or skirts, and definitely don't wear shorts under them - like OP says, would defeat the purpose of being cool. That's all I wear, so am used to knowing how to keep it in place - plus don't wear billowy ones there.

Billowy!!! That's the word I was looking for....

Wearing coverage under skirts and dresses is always a good idea no matter where you are, no matter how old you are, even if not worried about wind/rides, for there are unfortunately peepers on purpose out there, I'm sure, even at Disney.

Well, I don't go commando! :p Just no extra shorts.

So I figure if I can handle the wind in downtown Chicago, I can handle the wind at Disney. Just will be careful of stepping in and out of rides, straddling, etc. I should be fine!

Should anyone get a passing glance under my dress, I'll just sing "you're welcome!!!" :hyper:

I'm ready to pack!

What kind of shoes do y'all wear with dresses? I've always thought I'd be miserable in anything other than sneakers.

I wear Ortholite Keds with my sundresses--super comfy and look cute.

I've never worn compression shorts, but I'll do a swipe of deodorant if it looks like it's going to be an extra hot day.

Thanks all!

Seems like only issues will be straddling rides. I can tuck my dresses between my thighs on rides like test track, etc. And they aren't short, just a bit above knee (I think 3 inches I said earlier is shorter than they actually are). I said fit/flare, but that may not be accurate description.
I won't wear a dress on Animal Kingdom day - Kali River Rapids, I don't want to walk around in a wet dress.

My thighs don't rub luckily! I walk 7-9 miles a day (work, walking home from train, etc.) and never experience it, even when it's hot.

Obviously if it's a stormy/windy day, I'll wear shorts. Just nice to have the option of a dress if I want. :) Especially for days when it will be more meandering than going on rides.

It's funny that you said that. I just thought that I wouldn't wear a sundress, except maybe for rides where I get wet, so that the clothes dry faster. Lol.

Where do buy compression shorts? I have a sundress that I'm a little uncomfortable in re: length, and all I could find was workout shorts so i bought them and they are too thick.
Try Undersummers. They are not compression or for support, and they are lightweight and comfortable. I have compared them to the Jockeys version (try JCPenney for sales on Jockeys), and I like Undersummers better. I think that Undersummers are better in the heat. I would call them slip shorts as another poster mentioned. I buy from the website. They are little more expensive but I don't find that I need more than a few. If you have to hand wash on vacation, tney probably dry overnight. (I pull mine from the washer, hang to dry, and they are dry by morning. )

And from memory, Space Mountain seems like trouble in a dress. I have trouble getting in the seat gracefully in shorts!

I plan to bring a couple of skirts to wear and will just cut down cheap leggings (£2.50 a piece from Primark so there you go) into shorts to wear under my skirts. I don't fancy trying to get on and off Space Mountain with a short skirt on!!!

Hmmmm Undersummers look interesting,and claim to stay in place!!! Is that even possible? On the Target JKY brand.... I gave those babies a serious workout:rotfl: and I can say this.... I like them better than the Jockey Skimmies for sure. I got the 'wicking' fabric,they're light and comfortable,even in hot weather.They just feel better than the other ones- I like the fabric better,it doesn't catch the skirt and stick to it-the banded legs stay in place better than the skimmies (!) which shocks me b/c they're cheaper! That said, I still have 'creep' on the inner leg of these,sitting/standing/sitting seems to be the problem- Less movement than the skimmies for sure,and less annoying feel- but still there. I'll actually wear these JKY ones though,which I won't wear the skimmies after multiple failures and uncomfortable days. I may check into the undersummer line too. I probably think way too much about this stuff lol

I just wear what I want and it doesn't bother me if people want to look under my dress. A bunch of weirdos aren't going to prevent me from doing what makes me feel comfortable. There's nothing special about my....parts. There's thousands and thousands and millions of pictures of "parts" on the internet, so if some perv is going to get excited checking me out, well more power to them.

Has anyone tried the skirt with built in shorts made by Columbia? They are a bit heavier than the skirt/shorts combo made by Eddie Bauer but I liked the style better. I also bought the moisture wicking shorts from Eddie Bauer. Has anyone tried these items?

Has anyone gone on the new Flight of Passage ride while wearing a dress? That one looked problematic to me.

I have - twice - it's not really a problem. You straddle the ride vehicle, but you walk forward on it - you don't throw your leg over like getting on a bicycle. Then the front of the vehicle shields any view of your legs from the sides. Plus, everyone is concentrating on getting themselves positioned correctly they barely have time to notice anyone else until they're seated themselves.

Thanks to the ladies of this forum, tonight I stopped at Target and got some Jockeys! 2 styles (short and fairly long, near biker short length), black and nude.

And since this happens...

4c2faa386266e6fe0202a7a827f93d83.jpg

...I also found a super cute Eeyore night dress in the clearance rack for $10! :lovestruc There were Mickey/Minnie and more, too, so if you're interested, zoom to Target asap.

Stupid question. For those who wear skimmies, etc, do you still wear underwear or do consider that your undies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!