Web Bases and phone interview

Tatiana Trevino

EarningMyEars
Howdy! I am applying for the DCP this August for Spring Advantage 2017 and I am super duper nervous! Does anyone have any advice to give about the web based and phone interview? Like tips to stay calm or questions to have prepared that they ask everyone? Anything will help! As well as personal experiences about roles you have done at Disney!

Thanks and Gig' em!!

Hi.

I did my program back in Spring 2012. Here is some advice.

For the web based portion be consistent. Read every questions thoroughly and do not rush. They will ask the same question in different ways to see if you are consistent and actually reading the questiosn. I.E. Someone asks you to clock them in for work is this a) extremely unacceptable b) unacceptable c)neutral d) acceptable e)extremely acceptable and then pages later you will get something like someone asks you to clock them in for work do you a) clock them in and say only this one time b) clock them in and say don't worry about it c) tell them no but do nothing d) tell them no and contact your leader

So as you can see if it is extremely unacceptable you would probably also tell them no and contact your leader or something similar. These aren't exact questions just for clarity I made them up.

For the phone interview practice with a friend, profession, or parent/adult. Have them ask you why you want to work for Disney. What do you expect to get out of the internship? Have you lived with other people before? How did you deal with a bad situation in the work place? How did you deal with a question you couldn't answer? How did you deal with a high stress situation? What top 3 roles would you like and why? If attractions how would you go above and beyond in a repetitive situation? What attraction and why?

I was an Agent P World Showcase Adventure hostess. That is an attractions role. It also include Illuminations and AM Guard Crowd Control and I now believe involves FP+ shifts as well. It was a bunch of fun but long hours in the hot sun and standing all day. Unlike other attractions you were never rotated into an air conditions area so your only break from the heat and the elements was on break. After a while you build up a tolerance to the heat.

On the housing front I got very lucky. Due to an unfortunate circumstance my roommate in my 1 bedroom at Chatham got sent home from the program. For whatever miracle I did not get another roommate until the last 2 weeks of my program. I basically had my own apartment for 2 whole months. It was bliss honestly couldn't complain. When I did have a room mate it was mostly okay. I wouldn't bring anything of value though. Yes they give you lockers and you supply the lock but I always felt weird having people i had never met in my apartment and even in my room because they were friends or coworkers of the room mate. You can't stop your room mate from having people over so just know at any time of the day there could be people there. (I think everyone is suppose to be out by 1 am but nobody followed that).

Follow the rules. They are laid out pretty black and white. So if they say no light sabers on housing property they mean it. Just leave it in your work locker or ship it home. I had a friend get sent home for having a throwing star in his room. Crazy thing is Disney gave us the throwing star for working in Epcot as they yearly host a friendship exchange between the countries for CMs. Japan gave us the throwing stars. Most of us kept them in our work locker until we could send them home but this guy threw his under his bed and forgot about it. He was sent home during a room inspection that discovered it. Great CM not issues on his record card and sent home for violating a housing rule that he forgot he even violated. So just know they are pretty strict.

Be open about your position. Even if you get housekeeping or food and beverage use your time in the company to network. If you want to do something specific in the company look up that departments information on the hub. Find people you might be interested in meeting with and learning from and just politely request a face to face. I got to chat with the VP of Epcot after meeting him while working one day and asking if I could have a sit down chat with him one day. Most people at Disney have an open door policy. I learned a lot form my management team and always tried to keep an open mind. Before I left the program I was offered a position on the fireworks crew. 3 years after leaving EPCOT I still kick myself that I didn't take that role. I have a feeling it might always be the what if point in my life.

Howdy! Awesome to see another Aggie here! I did the program in Spring of 2015, and as far as the interviews go my biggest advice is to be honest and be yourself. Especially on the web based interview as consistency is key- if you're being 100% honest, you'll be consistent. On the phone interview I'd say be prepared and that will help with nerves. Going into my interview I had a notebook in front of me where I'd written down my top 5 roles and why I wanted them because I knew that would be asked, and once it started I used that notebook to take notes of my interviewer's name, questions I had, details he mentioned, etc. Don't write out answers to possible questions and read it like a script- be natural! Oh, and smile- not only can they hear the smile in your voice, it will also help you stay calmer. Basically take some deep breaths when you see the phone ring, then smile and be yourself! My interviewer was super nice, they just want to have a conversation with you- they don't want to scare you or try to make you fail. Do you have any ideas on which role you'd like? I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would love to tell you about theirs!

I was merchandise in Epcot Future World North and I loved every minute of it! It wasn't the most exciting location I could imagine at first but the friends I made there more than made up for it, and I loved my role. There's tons of guest interaction in Merchandise which was the best part of the job for sure! I would second what wilkeliza said though, don't be too dead set on a position because there are some that might not look great but can be good learning experiences. Definitely network and try to get to know your managers. This will help you especially if you want to work for the company after graduation

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd love to tell you more about my role, housing, or anything else you may be wondering about! Can't wait to hear about your application process! Gig 'em!

Hi.

I did my program back in Spring 2012. Here is some advice.

For the web based portion be consistent. Read every questions thoroughly and do not rush. They will ask the same question in different ways to see if you are consistent and actually reading the questiosn. I.E. Someone asks you to clock them in for work is this a) extremely unacceptable b) unacceptable c)neutral d) acceptable e)extremely acceptable and then pages later you will get something like someone asks you to clock them in for work do you a) clock them in and say only this one time b) clock them in and say don't worry about it c) tell them no but do nothing d) tell them no and contact your leader

So as you can see if it is extremely unacceptable you would probably also tell them no and contact your leader or something similar. These aren't exact questions just for clarity I made them up.

For the phone interview practice with a friend, profession, or parent/adult. Have them ask you why you want to work for Disney. What do you expect to get out of the internship? Have you lived with other people before? How did you deal with a bad situation in the work place? How did you deal with a question you couldn't answer? How did you deal with a high stress situation? What top 3 roles would you like and why? If attractions how would you go above and beyond in a repetitive situation? What attraction and why?

I was an Agent P World Showcase Adventure hostess. That is an attractions role. It also include Illuminations and AM Guard Crowd Control and I now believe involves FP+ shifts as well. It was a bunch of fun but long hours in the hot sun and standing all day. Unlike other attractions you were never rotated into an air conditions area so your only break from the heat and the elements was on break. After a while you build up a tolerance to the heat.

On the housing front I got very lucky. Due to an unfortunate circumstance my roommate in my 1 bedroom at Chatham got sent home from the program. For whatever miracle I did not get another roommate until the last 2 weeks of my program. I basically had my own apartment for 2 whole months. It was bliss honestly couldn't complain. When I did have a room mate it was mostly okay. I wouldn't bring anything of value though. Yes they give you lockers and you supply the lock but I always felt weird having people i had never met in my apartment and even in my room because they were friends or coworkers of the room mate. You can't stop your room mate from having people over so just know at any time of the day there could be people there. (I think everyone is suppose to be out by 1 am but nobody followed that).

Follow the rules. They are laid out pretty black and white. So if they say no light sabers on housing property they mean it. Just leave it in your work locker or ship it home. I had a friend get sent home for having a throwing star in his room. Crazy thing is Disney gave us the throwing star for working in Epcot as they yearly host a friendship exchange between the countries for CMs. Japan gave us the throwing stars. Most of us kept them in our work locker until we could send them home but this guy threw his under his bed and forgot about it. He was sent home during a room inspection that discovered it. Great CM not issues on his record card and sent home for violating a housing rule that he forgot he even violated. So just know they are pretty strict.

Be open about your position. Even if you get housekeeping or food and beverage use your time in the company to network. If you want to do something specific in the company look up that departments information on the hub. Find people you might be interested in meeting with and learning from and just politely request a face to face. I got to chat with the VP of Epcot after meeting him while working one day and asking if I could have a sit down chat with him one day. Most people at Disney have an open door policy. I learned a lot form my management team and always tried to keep an open mind. Before I left the program I was offered a position on the fireworks crew. 3 years after leaving EPCOT I still kick myself that I didn't take that role. I have a feeling it might always be the what if point in my life.
Thank you for this, it was very helpful to know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!