Wedding Week Dining Report *Updated 1/3 Skipper Canteen COMPLETE*

Forgot to comment earlier, but your wedding looked so lovely! Definitely a full experience not just one ceremony/party and I’m sure your guests loved it!

I finally got to read your report. Everything was so BEAUTIFUL I lived the Disney Welcome Party. The Reception looked AMAZING!! The Fireball Donuts sounded HEAVENLY!!

Plus, you made a gorgeous bride. Yout dress was so beautiful!! You have fantastic memories of your Disney Wedding Day!!

Wow, what an amazing meal from start to finish! Certainly a great wedding day splurge. Though I gotta say I laughed at the juxtaposition of a meal at V&A followed by SciFi :-)

Looks like a great meal. You were a trooper what with being awake since 3am!! Everything looks so delicious. I think I heard that the difference of the QV room is the intimacy and that they do more tableside stuff but who knows. I’ve only dined at the Chef’s Table (got incredibly lucky years ago) - we were encouraged to take a break mid-way through and went out and shopped around a bit to digest a bit... I guess that might be disruptive in the dining room. I’m not sure what to make of the new menu approach. So glad you were able to go on your special trip and enjoyed it so!!
In hind sight this meal would be much better on a day where I hadn't been up before dawn :) but it was the only day it really worked. I'm so happy I didn't have it the day before there would have been no way I could have made it. You are so lucky to have dined at the Chef's Table. I tried to get that for this week and the entire trip it was already booked. With the new menu I don't think the Queen Victoria Room really is as unique as it once was. I think I actually prefer the main room. It was an amazingly delicious meal though.

Oh good point--we loved the harpist!! It would be a bummer to not be able to hear the harp.
You can sort of hear her when the doors open for the waitstaff to bring food, but it definitely isn't as great when you're sitting in the room with her.

Forgot to comment earlier, but your wedding looked so lovely! Definitely a full experience not just one ceremony/party and I’m sure your guests loved it!
Thank you :) I wanted to make it a fun event for the entire weekend and make it more unique than a typical wedding. I think I definitely succeeded with that, my guests are still talking about how great it was.

I finally got to read your report. Everything was so BEAUTIFUL I lived the Disney Welcome Party. The Reception looked AMAZING!! The Fireball Donuts sounded HEAVENLY!!

Plus, you made a gorgeous bride. Yout dress was so beautiful!! You have fantastic memories of your Disney Wedding Day!!
Thank you!! It really was a magical experience and the food was soooo good. Thank you so much, I really did love that gown.

Wow, what an amazing meal from start to finish! Certainly a great wedding day splurge. Though I gotta say I laughed at the juxtaposition of a meal at V&A followed by SciFi :-)
It was a great meal to top off our awesome wedding week. I suppose it is kind of funny to have Victoria and Albert's followed by Sci-Fi. But we didn't stay through that night so it was the only time it worked for the schedule.

November 13
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant

This restaurant concludes my wedding week. I'm going to include some bonus restaurants though since we are going to Disney for NYE to kick off our honeymoons (yes plural, we are doing three :D)

Bonus restaurants will include eating dinner at Ohana on NYE and Skippers Canteen for lunch on New Year's Day. Not sure what we are doing for lunch yet on NYE so might have another restaurant.

Back to our last day of the wedding week. We packed up the car with all our stuff and tried to camouflage it as best we could since our car would be in the Hollywood Studios parking lot for half a day. I also tried to put the cake top in the darkest spot so it wouldn't spoil. I'll let you know if that was successful when we try to eat it on our anniversary.

This was the first time I'd been in the park since Toy Story Land opened. I was really excited to see it and use our FP for Slinky Dog Dash.

upload_2018-12-28_10-44-56.png

I think the land was really cute, although if we've shrunken down to the size of a toy, why were the toys on the decorations humongous?

upload_2018-12-28_10-46-3.png

I don't remember the exact wait time, just that it was really long and there was a line stretching all the way down the bridge.

I really loved this ride. I was expecting something more low key and it definitely exceeded expectations. I don't think I'd wait in a long line for it, but it was definitely fun.

upload_2018-12-28_10-48-13.png

These army men were entertaining to watch. We followed them out of the land and they would occasionally march and then stop and play games. I had a fun experience with them a couple years ago. I was posing with one for a picture and then two more showed up and were doing hilarious things to fight over me. Except I had no clue any of that happened until later when I looked at the string of pictures. I like they walk around and take pictures instead of the normal long line to meet a character.

upload_2018-12-28_10-50-20.png

Here's a picture I found on Google of the place. My photos didn't come out that great since it's really dark in there. If you've never been before it is a really cool atmosphere. The way it's set up, you are seated in a 1950's style car and there's a movie screen in front play short clips of old sci-fi movies. It looks like an outdoor drive-in movie theater at night.

We were seated in the front row. If going with more than two people this place can be a little hard to interact with your party. If you had four people two would be in one row and the other two would be in the row behind, with everyone facing forward. They do have sideways tables set up in some of the cars to accommodate large parties. You can sort of see them in that picture above in the bottom left corner.

We were seated in the front row of the car that was also in the front row, so no obstructed view of the screen. We were also super close so my picture of the screen was a big cut off.

upload_2018-12-28_10-54-2.png

I highly recommend their milkshakes. They are delicious. We both ordered the cookies and cream milkshake to start.

upload_2018-12-28_10-54-55.png

This was delicious and I finished it before I even got my meal. I apologize for the lighting, I didn't use flash for this and they have a light on the table so I tried to use that to show off my drink.

upload_2018-12-28_10-56-9.png

For the main courses I decided to use flash because the food was coming out like black blobs.

For my meal I got Vegetarian Falafel Burger. Crispy Chick Pea Falafel Patty on a Brioche Bun with Arugula, Gourmet Tomato, Tzatziki Sauce, and Red Pepper Aïoli.

So I somewhat liked this. The falafel was hot, but then put on top of cold tzatziki sauce so it made the middle part ice cold. Or they didn't cook it right, I'm not sure. So I liked the outer parts way more and didn't end up finishing this.

upload_2018-12-28_10-58-29.png

My husband got this. I don't know what this is, I had thought it was a reuben sandwich, but I don't see that listed on Disney's website. So I have no idea what this is, but he enjoyed it.

I've been to this restaurant before and although the food isn't my favorite here, the atmosphere is really cool and unique and I will be back in the future. My husband had never been before and was really blown away by the whole concept.

We went on Star Tours ride with our last FP and then drove back home. It was definitely my best Disney trip and will be hard to ever top (although I am trying to convince him to do a vow renewal at Disney for our five years)

So stick around to hear about my mini mini moon spending NYE at Disney. For Mini moon I'm doing a Disney cruise to the Caribbean leaving on January 5th and will do a trip report after if you'd like to read :) My main honeymoon we are going to England and Scotland for two weeks, no Disney elements so won't be sharing that trip unfortunately.

Wish me luck braving the NYE crowds!

3 honeymoons?????? Any chance I can come on one :P

I'm so with you on SciFi. Food isn't the best, but its solid and of course the atmosphere can't be beat. Though I got nothing on that sandwich your husband got. I have had the reuben there before, but that looks like it has coleslaw on it. :confused3

My husband got this. I don't know what this is, I had thought it was a reuben sandwich, but I don't see that listed on Disney's website. So I have no idea what this is, but he enjoyed it.

Though I got nothing on that sandwich your husband got. I have had the reuben there before, but that looks like it has coleslaw on it. :confused3

I'm pretty sure that's the prime rib sandwich they offered this summer/fall. I had it in August and it was amazing!

December 31
Ohana NYE Dinner

We got back last night from our quick Mini mini honeymoon spending NYE at Disney World. It was an amazing experience that I will definitely be doing again in the future. It was crowded and we were in Magic Kingdom when it was closed for capacity. Although it was only in phase 1b, but Disney doesn't really communicate that information well. If you go with a plan and set your expectations you'll have a great time.

We drove up NYE morning and went up and above Disney and then drove in the back entrance to the Magic Kingdom to avoid the parking lot of traffic happening. Was really great and didn't encounter any traffic anywhere. We were staying at the Contemporary in a Theme park View Room. This room was awesome and I highly recommend staying here to watch the fireworks away from the crowds.

When we checked in they told us there was a room ready now, but on the 7th floor. If we wanted we could wait for a higher floor room. I chose to go with the room that was ready now. That way if the crowds were too intense in the parks we could retreat to our room and not worry about having no where to go. We checked in around 11am.

upload_2019-1-2_10-37-32.png

This was our view from our balcony. We were on the 7th floor almost at the end away from Magic Kingdom. The only downside to this room is how loud Chef Mickey's is when they open at the crack of dawn when you want to sleep in.

upload_2019-1-2_10-38-54.png

A view of the monorail outside our door. A bit dirty on top :)

Disney does a great job handling the crowds. I never really felt it was insanely crowded and had been preparing for the worst, especially when my husband doesn't handle crowds well. There were a few points where there were large bottleneck crowds. One was outside of Big Thunder Mountain, which we had a fast pass for. :crowded: The wait time for standby was 180 minutes, which is 3 hours :sad::scared1: Honestly I don't know how people handle standing in line for that long. You could literally watch the entire movie of Titanic in line.

upload_2019-1-2_10-43-45.png

They had tape down on the ground going back and forth for the overflow line, but then the line went way past that point too. It took a little bit of effort getting through everyone, but nothing too terrible. We had a couple minutes to kill before our fast pass time so we took some pictures, some nice gentleman offered to take photos for us and did a bit of a photoshoot with him. We watched huge crowds go to Tom Sawyer island. I don't think I've ever seen so many people go there before. Then we got in line and waited no more than 5 minutes to get on the ride. It was awesome.

upload_2019-1-2_10-46-20.png

Had front row too! It was a lot of fun.

We had Fast Passes for Little Mermaid and I was able to move the time up with some refreshing. Then we found a spot to sit and wait for the Christmas parade.

upload_2019-1-2_10-47-4.png

Watching the Christmas parade at 3pm. We weren't front row to view, but still had a pretty decent view as it went around the hub by the castle. I've never watched the Christmas parade before and thought it was really cute.

After we went on the Jingle cruise with our last fast pass and then headed out of the park around 5pm. We had dinner reservations at Ohana at 7:40pm and wanted to rest a bit before going there. We watched the 6:30pm firework show from our balcony. It was great. I was surprised that they included the countdown and new years part at the end. That version only includes the fireworks over the castle. For the midnight fireworks they also shoot them off from the island in the middle of the lake.

After the fireworks ended we headed off to the monorail. I was worried there would be a huge line. Nope. We walked right on and didn't wait a minute. The cast member actually opened the gate as we were walking so we didn't have to go all the way down and got on to an empty cabin. So no time at all later we were at the Polynesian way too early. Tried to check in and they told us we couldn't more than 15 minutes ahead. So we went downstairs and had a dole whip while we waited.

upload_2019-1-2_10-52-47.png

My favorite type is the swirl with pineapple and vanilla. This was a great pre-dinner snack.

We went back 15 minutes before our reservation and checked in. Barely sat down before we got the text that our table was ready. This dinner turned out to be so much fun and we made new friends, which I've never done at a restaurant at Disney before. I don't know if it was because it was NYE, but everyone we met that day was so friendly. We got seated at a table that was super close to the tables around it. I've only seen this at Le Cellier and was a bit surprised. But it ended up being great. We befriended the next two tables and talked with them the entire meal. They were so excited we were celebrating our honeymoon and I've been texting with the couple that sat next to us.

On to the food:

upload_2019-1-2_10-55-50.png

They asked if we wanted one or two of the coconut breads. We decided on two, which was a good choice since out waiter was a bit MIA and we finished both before he even came by to say hi. I love this bread. It was warm and delicious and the butter goes perfectly with it. I probably ate too much of it, but was hungry and had nothing else to distract me.

upload_2019-1-2_11-2-31.png

We were brought the salad, which I love adding the peanut dipping sauce to. From past experiences I remember more things being in the salad. I'm not sure if it was changed or this was just missing a lot of items. It was pretty much just lettuce, those crunchy noodles and a few dried cranberries. It was still good though and I ate most of this.

upload_2019-1-2_11-3-58.png

The peanut dipping sauce. I love this stuff. I put it on the salad, noodles, chicken, dumplings and shrimp.

upload_2019-1-2_11-4-56.png

They also give you a sweet and sour sauce. I didn't have any, but my husband loved this and used it on most food items.

Continued in next post...

December 31
Ohana NYE Dinner continued

upload_2019-1-2_11-6-37.png

Next we were brought out the big platter of food. It had pork wantons or dumplings? I normally check the Disney website for the menu, but it's telling me that Stitch ate the page. Bad alien. These were really good. I don't like chicken wings, but my husband ate a bunch. The noodles are my favorite part and I ate almost all of them. Usually we ask for a second plate of them, but I got really full quickly and could barely finish my meal. I ate some of the vegetables and forced my husband to eat a piece of broccoli.

So ate first I completely forgot to take pictures of the foods they brought around on skewers. So our second round of shrimp I got a photo in. These are peel and eat shrimp and were delicious.

upload_2019-1-2_11-9-49.png

In the corner you can see scraps of the chicken they bring around. I forgot to take pictures of those and I didn't like it and gave it to my husband to eat. We didn't get seconds of it.

upload_2019-1-2_11-10-53.png

The steak was really good and we both had second helpings of it. It did take a really long time to get the second though. I tried flagging down our waiter, who would see me and disappear. Then the guy with the skewers came by with chicken and I asked if we could get more steak. It took about twenty minutes to finally get some, although it did help me digest my food.

upload_2019-1-2_11-12-29.png

The dessert here is one of my favorite parts of the meal. It's a bread pudding topped with caramel sauce and bananas served with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. This was amazing as usual. I was so full though I only had a couple bites.

I enjoyed our NYE dinner a lot. We made some great friends and had some great food. The service was a bit slow, but I kind of expected that with it being New Years Eve. They also gave us leis and NYE hats and party noise makers.

upload_2019-1-2_11-15-25.png

I know the restaurant can get mixed reviews, but I've always enjoyed it and will definitely be going back in the future.

upload_2019-1-2_11-16-24.png

The castle was all lit up after dinner. I love this look, kind of wish it was like this year round.

We made it back to our room around 10pm and then I struggled to stay up until midnight. Was all nice and snuggled in bed watching the Times Square NYE balldrop stuff on TV. Missed the very end, but it was fun watching since I usually do that at home. Then we went out on the balcony around 11:45pm. I could see all the people out on their balconies and we ended up talking to our neighbors. It was so fun! I've never talked to hotel room neighbors before.

The music for the show was also broadcast from Magic Kingdom and was very loud. Before going I was worried about hearing the music because it isn't included on the TV like the normal firework shows are. But it ended up not being an issue at all and was absolutely perfect.

The firework show was amazing. I've watched it on TV through the live stream the last couple years and it was even better in person. Our view from the balcony was perfect, watching the fireworks over the castle and from the lake. The sky became so bright at the end it was like it was daytime and a bunch of car alarms went off in the parking lot.

upload_2019-1-2_11-20-45.png

It was really a wonderful way to spend NYE and kick off our honeymoon trips. We had lunch at Skippers Canteen the next day. I'm going to try and wrap up this report before I leave for my cruise this weekend.

Happy New Year everyone!! pixiedust:

You could literally watch the entire movie of Titanic in line.
Hmm not a bad idea to pass the time :rotfl2:

From past experiences I remember more things being in the salad. I'm not sure if it was changed or this was just missing a lot of items
That salad is totally different than the one I had last time I was there (but that was Sept 2017). When I had it there was iceberg and romaine lettuce, wanton strips, shredded carrots and peppers and a few other things. The new one looks good though!

Our view from the balcony was perfect, watching the fireworks over the castle and from the lake.
This sounds like the perfect way to watch those fireworks without the madness of the crowds! What a great mini mini moon!

Have fun on your cruise!

The wait time for standby was 180 minutes, which is 3 hours :sad::scared1: Honestly I don't know how people handle standing in line for that long. You could literally watch the entire movie of Titanic in line.
Nope. Nope. Nope. I'm doing a NYE trip next year and I've basically decided, do my FPs and that's it! Enjoy the resorts, have some nice long meals, etc!

We watched the 6:30pm firework show from our balcony. It was great. I was surprised that they included the countdown and new years part at the end. That version only includes the fireworks over the castle. For the midnight fireworks they also shoot them off from the island in the middle of the lake.
That is good to know! Do you know if if they do the lake fireworks on the 30th too?

Hmm not a bad idea to pass the time :rotfl2:
I hope some of the people waiting were doing something like that.

That salad is totally different than the one I had last time I was there (but that was Sept 2017). When I had it there was iceberg and romaine lettuce, wanton strips, shredded carrots and peppers and a few other things. The new one looks good though!
What you're describing is what I've normally had there. I do agree this salad was really good.

This sounds like the perfect way to watch those fireworks without the madness of the crowds! What a great mini mini moon!

Have fun on your cruise!
It really was, getting away from all the crowds and still enjoying them in person was the best. Thank you! I need to pack still lol.

Nope. Nope. Nope. I'm doing a NYE trip next year and I've basically decided, do my FPs and that's it! Enjoy the resorts, have some nice long meals, etc!
Ya the crowds are a bit intense. If you plan everything out and set your expectations you'll have a great time. I did a lot of people watching and had a much slower pace than normal. Those fp's will be gold. Definitely try refreshing to get more than the first three. If we had stayed in the park later I could have gotten more. ADRs a must! The lines we saw for the quick services were terrifying.

That is good to know! Do you know if if they do the lake fireworks on the 30th too?
I'm not sure, I got up there on the 31st. I think the 30th fireworks are supposed to be like a test run so I would think they would do the lake ones too at midnight.

I like Ohana, but the service has never been that great. Your meal looks great ,though.
Ya there service can be a bit hit or miss. This one was definitely amongst the worst we've seen. But the food was great and I had a wonderful time. I'd still recommend it :)

January 1
Skipper Canteen Lunch

I'm going to finish up this report today since I'm leaving for my cruise in two days and then starting that trip report.

I forgot to add this picture from the previous day:

upload_2019-1-3_7-55-5.png

When we got inside Magic Kingdom the app buzzed with this message. It is really vague and makes it sound like the park is closed to everyone, but it was actually only a phase 1b.

So my plan for the 1st was to sleep in a bit. Our first fast pass was 9:20am and I wanted to get to it closer to the end of the hour. Well, Chef Mickey's had a different plan. It was so loud and noisy I was woken up at 6am. I'm a very light sleeper and if I ever stay in the Theme Park view again at the Contemporary I'll be requesting a higher floor further away from the restaurant. Since we were up we decided to get ready to go to Magic Kingdom a bit earlier than planned. We figured we could stop in Starbucks from some much needed coffee first.

upload_2019-1-3_7-58-17.png

I love Starbucks and really wish they'd add them to the hotels. The one in Magic Kingdom is always so crowded and today was no different. I actually was standing by the board that had everyone's drinks listed and the time they were placed. Most of the drinks were in the red and said rush on them. It took 8 minutes to get my cup of coffee.

upload_2019-1-3_7-59-48.png

For breakfast I got their bacon egg and Gouda cheese sandwich. This actually came out really fast so I ate it while waiting for my drink. It was delicious as always.

upload_2019-1-3_8-2-34.png

My Iced Caramel Macchiato was really good and of course had to be drunk in front of the castle.

So we check our fast passes and see that our 9:20am Pirates fast pass is now an anytime fast pass and the ride is temporarily closed. I was pretty disappointed, it's one of my favorite rides and I purposely didn't take a fast pass I could have the day before because I wanted to ride it first thing this day. We were hopeful the ride would open eventually so we didn't use the anytime fast pass before our other rides.

We went on Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with fast passes then hustled over to Skipper Canteen to make our 11:50am reservation.

upload_2019-1-3_8-7-43.png

I know NYE was crowded, but this day felt ten times more crowded. Everyone had told me people sleep in and the parks are empty in the morning. It sure didn't feel that way. The walkways were extra crowded with people and the lines for all the rides were all over an hour at 9am. We got to the restaurant a little before our reservation time and were seated pretty quickly.

This was our first time dining here. The people who work in this restaurant are hilarious. It's an extension of the Jungle Cruise ride with the silly jokes and everyone we encountered did not disappoint.

upload_2019-1-3_8-10-11.png

I've never seen a napkin laid out like this before, thought it was really cute.

upload_2019-1-3_8-10-58.png

upload_2019-1-3_8-11-23.png

Pictures of the menu. My husband wasn't very hungry so he ended up ordering an appetizer and a cup of soup. I went with the Perkins Thai Noodles. They tell you it's spicy, believe them! It was beyond spicy my mouth felt like it was on fire. I ended up having them bring a bowl of rice out to try and help cut down some of the spice. But besides that over powering the dish was really good.

upload_2019-1-3_8-13-0.png

There was a bit too much of the sauce and it kept getting all over me every time I took a bite.

upload_2019-1-3_8-13-47.png

My husband got the falafal and I ate one ball. They were really good. I was not a huge fan of the hummus that I think was made with edamame instead of chickpeas.

Reached my picture limit, continued next post...

January 1
Skipper Canteen Lunch Continued

upload_2019-1-3_8-15-40.png

The soup was a butternut squash and he seemed to really enjoy it since he finished it quickly.

Our waitress disappeared and we flagged down a different waitress to ask to find her so we could get the check. Took a while before she came back and then as soon as she put the bill on the table disappeared. So it took a while before we could leave. I did like this restaurant. I think the food is unique and the antics are fun. I would go back.

As we were leaving Pirates was back up and working so we went on it before leaving the park. We were driving over to Tampa to visit my husband's cousin for a few hours before driving home.

upload_2019-1-3_8-17-50.png

I love being able to walk back to the hotel. It saves so much time not having to use any transportation.

A little bonus restaurant review. We stopped in Ft. Myers to go to this restaurant called Stir Crazy. I absolutely love this restaurant. They used to have one near my house, but it closed a couple years ago. This one is the only one left in Florida, but there are 5 other locations around the country. What I love about the place is creating your own stir fry. They give you a bowl where you pick the vegetables you want and the sauces you want and then they cook it in front of you with your choice of noodle or rice and a protein.

upload_2019-1-3_8-20-23.png

upload_2019-1-3_8-20-46.png

It was just as amazing as it was the last time I had it. Then we drove across Alligator Alley to get back home. Witnessed a terrible car accident on the other side of the highway that actually closed it down completely. I felt really bad for those people, we went by them at 9pm and I read online the highway didn't get re-opened until 1:30am. If you aren't familiar with this highway, it goes across the state and there is pretty much nothing but Everglades around you.

So that concludes my wedding week and first honeymoon trip. I'm so happy I could share it with all of you :) Thank you for reading along! If you want to read my cruise trip report, I'll be posting it shortly after I come back from my cruise in a week.

Until next time :wave:

hummus that I think was made with edamame instead of chickpeas
Huh I've never heard of hummus from edamame. Sounds interesting!

As we were leaving Pirates was back up and working so we went on it before leaving the park
Glad to got to ride POTC before you left :D

A little bonus restaurant review. We stopped in Ft. Myers to go to this restaurant called Stir Crazy. I absolutely love this restaurant
I love this place, too! There's one near my company's HQ just outside of Chicago and I've been there a few times while visiting. Definitely a cool experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter