Wedding

Tygerlilly

DIS Veteran
Has anyone been to or had their wedding while on a cruise? We're finally going to tie the knot and decided a cruise sounded like the most fun! A wedding and honeymoon built into one, plus the kids can have some fun with family and we can have some alone time and I don't have to leave them for a whole week.

Looking for experiences, things you like/disliked about it, what you included or opted out of... Just everything! I'm really kind of excited about this.

I have not done it, but have you seen RCL's brochure on it? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/Royal_Weddings_Brochure_7_12_17.pdf

Aside of the price, one thing that dawned on me reading that is that getting married on the ship locks you in to RCL for everything. Want flowers? RCL. Music? RCL. Photographer? RCL. Getting your hair styled? RCL. So if their offerings on something fall short of what you would like you either try working with them or go without.

Everything else I would say is just personal opinion on how much I wouldn't want my family on my honeymoon (or how I wouldn't want to have to pay for a cruise just to go to a wedding and then also be expected to babysit), so I won't delve in to that. Good luck with your research and planning!

If you decide to be married in port, be aware that ports may be skipped or change for weather or mechanical issues - I read yesterday about someone on an upcoming Allure of the Seas wedding sailing that has lost St. Thomas as a port due to the ship's mechanical issues...

Does the captain have to do the ceremony? Does a minister's powers work at international waters?

Does the captain have to do the ceremony? Does a minister's powers work at international waters?

I can only speak from my 14+ year ago experience on DCL. Back then, me and my husband debarked the ship while it was still in port in Port Canaveral and had a small civil ceremony performed by what I guess was a justice of the peace or something. That way, we were legally married in the US. It made it so we have 2 anniversaries. We don't celebrate the first one, even though that's the one on our US marriage license. We celebrate the day of the ceremony instead.

I don't know about ship weddings, but I know many couples who have had destination weddings in the Caribbean. These couples had a civil ceremony before they left, assuring their marriage was validated in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!