Welsh DISers /DVC

RDP

DIS Veteran
How many of us are out there? Where have you bought and when do you go?

How many of us are out there? Where have you bought and when do you go?

Hello RDP,
PamOKW here - DH and I bought into OKW back in 1992, before DD was born in 1996- and we have loved every minute of it. We have been taking her to OKW since she was 5 months old - and she's 14 now! We usually stay in OKW and have taken lots of family members with us over the years.We have some fantastic memories.

The 3 of us have also stayed at Boardwalk, SSR, & Beach Club- but in our opinion you can't beat OKW - that's why we always go back there.

We used to travel in early Sept or May - but since DD has been in school it tends to be August school holidays.

We go back there again this August - but I am getting a little nervous about the room renovations. Not sure I'll like it as much as "the OKW we fell in love with"- oh well we'll just have to wait and see.

Hope to hear from you and others soon!

:wave2:

(Sorry, forgot to add that we're in Swansea.)

Hi

We bought in about 5 years ago at SSR and just did an add on a few months ago at BLT, I always promised myself if BLT ever did become reality then we would buy, luckily I got a big promotion at work and we could afford it.
We go around twice a year (we if we can) and have stayed at SSR, BWV, BCV, VWL, AKV, OKW, OK so that's all of them in Orlando except BLT!! LOL. we are staying there next May and September.

It's the best thing we ever bought and still think we always made the right decision.

Sam

Ps. we're in Swansea

Hi All,

we have had many a good trip to Disney ( see signature). We are relatively new DVC members (2008). Our home resort is AKV and we are very happy we bought there. Our DD5 has been to Disney 3 times already and our DS3 has been twice. We hope to add on and buy at BLT but need to save up first! Cant imagine going anywhere else on holiday! The combination of the restaurants, Spa's and children's activity's makes for a perfect holiday that cant be matched. We were taken with the quality and variety the 'World' offered on our first visit and are now addicts! The DIS boards are a great source of reference and we find ourselves using them more and more to plan our trips. This October (26th - 9th Nov) we are staying at SSR for the first time and cant wait. The Dream would be to be able to go twice a year! (We are based in Llanelli)

First a confession - I'm not Welsh ... but I have lived in Wales for longer than my native England, so I hope I'm allowed to join in this thread ;) Both our DDs were born here.

We bought our first contract at VWL in 2001 and have since added on a few points at each of VWL and VB.

We've managed to stay in VWL, OKW, SSR, BWV, BLT and VB so far, and I'm hoping we'll be able to claim the full set eventually :) We've stayed in every size accommodation from a studio to a 3 bed villa and have been in party sizes from 2 to 12 when we've been visiting with friends and relatives.

DH and I have managed two (short) trips per year for the past few years, and we still take trips with DDs (now 21 and 25) whenever we can schedule it so that we're all available at the same time.

The big expense is obviously flights, and it's disappointing for us that Continental are discontinuing their Bristol/Newark route, as it suited us so well. I don't look forward to reverting to the Gatwick run, but I don't think it will put me off wanting to get back to DVC as often as we can manage :)

First a confession - I'm not Welsh ... but I have lived in Wales for longer than my native England, so I hope I'm allowed to join in this thread ;) Both our DDs were born here.

We bought our first contract at VWL in 2001 and have since added on a few points at each of VWL and VB.

We've managed to stay in VWL, OKW, SSR, BWV, BLT and VB so far, and I'm hoping we'll be able to claim the full set eventually :) We've stayed in every size accommodation from a studio to a 3 bed villa and have been in party sizes from 2 to 12 when we've been visiting with friends and relatives.

DH and I have managed two (short) trips per year for the past few years, and we still take trips with DDs (now 21 and 25) whenever we can schedule it so that we're all available at the same time.

The big expense is obviously flights, and it's disappointing for us that Continental are discontinuing their Bristol/Newark route, as it suited us so well. I don't look forward to reverting to the Gatwick run, but I don't think it will put me off wanting to get back to DVC as often as we can manage :)

Hi Hilary, great to hear from you.. any tips you could give a relatively new DVCer would be appreciated. We have always made the Gatwick run.. its fine going but very hard coming back, especially with the children at the ages they are but the alternative of non stops flights don't appeal.We always try to stay at the Gatwick Hilton on the way out and the moment we walk through the doors of that hotel the holiday starts because the next time we set foot outside its in Orlando! When the kids are older we may consider flying to Miami and spending a night or two making our way to Orlando. Llanelli to Gatwick is a long run with the kids but worth it to get to our home resort (AKV) We stayed in a 2 bed at AKV last year, it was fantastic! its SSR this year (Oct)

.. any tips you could give a relatively new DVCer would be appreciated.
One tip that's worked really well for us is to set up a savings account into which you can pay 1/12th of your estimated annual dues bill each month.

I did this because I wanted to spread the dues cost through the year, but we couldn't pay DVC monthly on a UK credit card. We don't use that account for anything else, so I always know we'll have the cash ready once the dues bill arrives. If it earns a bit of interest while it's in there (fat chance at the moment!), or the dues bill is a little lower than anticpated, then so much the better! :thumbsup2

We have always made the Gatwick run.. its fine going but very hard coming back,

Yes, this is our big bugbear. We sometimes do Heathrow/Miami and find we can just about do the drive back from Heathrow, but that doesn't always suit our plans if we're only in Florida for a short trip as it cuts down on our Orlando time and use of DVC. If we have to use Gatwick we book a day room for our return so we can grab some sleep and freshen up before the drive home, but it obviously adds to the cost and time involved. It was certainly harder when we had young children to keep happy, too, so I don't envy you that!

Have any DIS DVCers in South Wales found a cheap, reliable airport transfer option to/from Gatwick?

Yes, this is our big bugbear. We sometimes do Heathrow/Miami and find we can just about do the drive back from Heathrow, but that doesn't always suit our plans if we're only in Florida for a short trip as it cuts down on our Orlando time and use of DVC. If we have to use Gatwick we book a day room for our return so we can grab some sleep and freshen up before the drive home, but it obviously adds to the cost and time involved. It was certainly harder when we had young children to keep happy, too, so I don't envy you that!

Have any DIS DVCers in South Wales found a cheap, reliable airport transfer option to/from Gatwick?

Not so far! priced a chauffer Driven people carrier once - £480!!!!!! (more than the flight!

We recently moved to Carmarthenshire from Wiltshire.

We have owned at BCV for about 7 years. We have stayed at many of the hotels but only "our" resort at DVC - often in September. We don't go that often any more - not so much into Disney these days - so tend to build up points then use them staying at nice hotels eg GF when we do go or let family and friends stay where and when they want. When prices rise we may consider selling but we'll hang on until they do rise.

Normally we fly out of LHR for holidays but we have the long trek back from LGW for the first time in October, after our holiday in Grenada, but we should manage a good sleep on the aircraft, as we tend to fly UC so hopefully will feel fresh enough to drive. If we don't then we'll try and get a day room at the Sofitel.

We recently moved to Carmarthenshire from Wiltshire.

Welcome to the ranks of DISers living in Wales, Gill :wave:

How does Carmarthenshire compare to Wiltshire? I have a few colleagues living in the Llandeilo area and DH does a lot (a lot!) of fishing on the Cothi and Towi so, although I've never lived in Carmarthenshire, I tend to hear quite a lot about parts of it.

We really love it here, Hilary. We're about 4 miles north of Llanelli and everyone, even shop assistants, are so much friendlier and more helpful than they were in Swindon - and of course we're only a few miles from the wonderful Prembrey Country Park and the spectacular coastline - so, yes it's fair to say we love it.

NOT looking forward to the Gatwick run though :eek:

Hi there!

We only joined DVC last year after many trips to The Mouse.
We've just returned from our first visit home to BLT. We were also able to use our points for our first ever cruise as we had 2 years worth of points to use up. Needless to say we have had a fabulous time and I'm bust planning for next year already.
We live in Newport.

One tip that's worked really well for us is to set up a savings account into which you can pay 1/12th of your estimated annual dues bill each month.

We have always made the Gatwick run.. its fine going but very hard coming back.
Just wanted to add that these things aren't peculiar to you Welshies. :teeth:

Deb
(Not too far away in) Gloucester

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter