Wendy Williams . . . I can't even

Where one agrees or not. Her right. Although I don’t watch her show.......
Having a right to say something does not exclude you from the consequences of saying it. The government can’t punish you for exercising yours rights but the court of public opinion sure can and often does. She can say what she wants but if her career does a free fall she’s got no one to but herself to blame. I’m personally against cancel culture, I think it’s gone too far but it’s the world we live in and if your job hinges on what you say it’s something that needs to be taken into consideration before you say something really stupid or horribly insensitive.

Never heard of her but sure not going to listen to her now. And I LIKE shock comedy. Carlin was my fave, the more foul jokes with bathroom humor were the best (His version of the Aristocrats joke was incredible) but that's a very different thing from what she seems to do. Mainly in that Carlin was actually funny. Sounds like she's desperate for attention.

She wasn't originally a stand up comedian. She did ONE stand up comedy tour a few years ago. She originally was a nationally syndicated shock radio DJ. She is in the radio hall of fame. She has had quite an illustrious career and won many awards. Her show and Ellen vie for most popular daytime talk show, with one or the other being #1. She basically invented the type of talk show where it's all about a big, loud, shocking host interviewing people and speaking her mind. That didn't exist before she did it.

People can hate the things she says, but "Wendy Williams" is a character the same way that Bill O'Reilly is a character.

She wasn't originally a stand up comedian. She did ONE stand up comedy tour a few years ago. She originally was a nationally syndicated shock radio DJ. She is in the radio hall of fame. She has had quite an illustrious career and won many awards. Her show and Ellen vie for most popular daytime talk show, with one or the other being #1. She basically invented the type of talk show where it's all about a big, loud, shocking host interviewing people and speaking her mind. That didn't exist before she did it.

People can hate the things she says, but "Wendy Williams" is a character the same way that Bill O'Reilly is a character.
Shock jocking was around on both radio and TV to some extent long before she did it. She just took it one step further down the lowest common denominator programming ladder.

Shock jocking was around on both radio and TV to some extent long before she did it. She just took it one step further down the lowest common denominator programming ladder.

No, I'm saying taking that format to a daytime TV talk show. There is a name for that kind of show now, and she was the first.

When your studio audience goes silent and gasps, that is warning sign you went way too far.

I feel like this point should be emphasized more. Regardless of whether her brand of humor is your style or not (and even as someone who personally enjoys dark humor on occasion this feels like too much). If your audience, the people your supposed to be appealing to to make money, the ones that are most likely to enjoy the humor you produce, don’t react well to a joke. Then that should be a clear sign you went way too far with a topic.

Look at Jake Paul and the anxiety tweet. The amount of people defending it despite several people’s attempts to explain that actual anxiety disorders don’t work that way. And you can’t just excercise it out necessarily. And I’m seeing a lot of people defending him that watch his stuff on Twitter still.

On the flip side if you search Wendy Williams and while I haven’t gone back far have yet to find someone defending her in the recent tweets. And certainly no big amount of large retweets from someone defending her on the top tweets area. She seems to have clearly crossed a line and not just with the general public but her own fanbase

Isn’t she the one with the husband who just fathered a baby with someone else while she was living in a halfway house in total denial of the situation? And she’s throwing stones at someone else? I didn’t actually hear exactly what she said, but oh my.

Never heard of her but sure not going to listen to her now. And I LIKE shock comedy. Carlin was my fave, the more foul jokes with bathroom humor were the best (His version of the Aristocrats joke was incredible) but that's a very different thing from what she seems to do. Mainly in that Carlin was actually funny. Sounds like she's desperate for attention.
I don't think of Carlin as "shock comedy". I thought he was hilarious. He actually did a set at my college basketball auditorium (and this is a small college). It wasn't halfway full. I loved it.

I don't find the "shock" folks (Stern and Williams) funny at all.

I am not defending Wendy Williams as she's 100% in the wrong.

I do think comedians sometimes feel like they're supposed to make a joke off the top of their head or try to make light of a tough situation by trying something light-hearted....and it doesn't always work. Sometimes they might think of something that seems funny at first and don't realize how it may feel to others (How often is a joke told by a comedian about something that happened and it gets followed up with "Too soon?")

Honestly I don't know if her whole reason she mentioned this on her show was the setup for a joke or if she decided to add it herself as the clip suggested but man, that did not go over well.

I'm sure she realized how that landed as soon as she said it. I don't know if she regrets the joke itself though, as cruel as it sounds, or how it landed.

Thought police. Cancel culture and the whole “woke” thing is all nonsense and not freedom. It makes people feel good that they can try to silence anything the disagree with. How anyone could be offended by words or feelings I’ll never understand. Live free or die. Anything else... is not freedom. I guess I just don’t know why someone would be offended by what she said. She could call me ugly or whatever. Who cares. Life goes on. A lot of people with nothing better to do just has to find drama and offense in anything.
On a side note. I don’t watch her. But obviously some people do. If I don’t like a show. I turn it. It makes no difference to me what was said on that show.

Last edited:
Thought police. Cancel culture and the whole “woke” thing is all nonsense and not freedom. It makes people feel good that they can try to silence anything the disagree with. How anyone could be offended by words or feelings I’ll never understand. Live free or die. Anything else... is not freedom. I guess I just don’t know why someone would be offended by what she said. She could call me ugly or whatever. Who cares. Life goes on. A lot of people with nothing better to do just has to find drama and offense in anything.

I am not into cancel culture. Don't get me started on how stupid Kevin Hart's old tweet cost him hosting the Oscars. It is ridiculous.

Personally, I don't consider this cancel culture. Honestly, I have not heard of any mass demand to have her show off the air. Maybe there is one, idk I don't care that much to look. However, I am surprised advertisers aren't leaving, and that she is given so many passes on saying such tasteless things.

I don't offend easily, and I wasn't personally offended. It really just showed me how awful she is. Her true colors are ugly, imho.

My question is this ... if it was your family member would you be offended? I know if was my sister/cousin/aunt who was murdered and I saw that joke, yes, I would be deeply offended. Obviously it was in poor taste, her own studio audience was in shock. It was gross. And I understand people being offended. (Same with the other 2 incidents. YMMV.) It is the repeated pattern of not showing any ounce of forethought that I find very off putting. Obviously it is popular, I just won't watch. Never have, never will.

And if people want to start a boycott to have her canceled, then they have that right to express it. Just like she has the right to say such vile things. Freedom!

(and personally, I always thought cancel culture was more of mass protest for an act that was typically done years ago. Roseanne was an exception to this rule. I am sure there are more, I can't think of more off hand, but someone on here will. Agree 100%, I don't like the whole you said something 15 years ago that was derogatory so now I am out to ruin your career. That is insane. Looking to ruin someone is cancel culture to me. Maybe I perceive it differently, but Wendy Williams actions don't fit the cancel culture definition I think of.)

Last edited:
I am not into cancel culture. Don't get me started on how stupid Kevin Hart's old tweet cost him hosting the Oscars. It is ridiculous.

Personally, I don't consider this cancel culture. Honestly, I have not heard of any mass demand to have her show off the air. Maybe there is one, idk I don't care that much to look. However, I am surprised advertisers aren't leaving, and that she is given so many passes on saying such tasteless things.

I don't offend easily, and I wasn't personally offended. It really just showed me how awful she is. Her true colors are ugly, imho.

My question is this ... if it was your family member would you be offended? I know if was my sister/cousin/aunt who was murdered and I saw that joke, yes, I would be deeply offended. Obviously it was in poor taste, her own studio audience was in shock. It was gross. And I understand people being offended. (Same with the other 2 incidents. YMMV.) It is the repeated pattern of not showing any ounce of forethought that I find very off putting. Obviously it is popular, I just won't watch. Never have, never will.

And if people want to start a boycott to have her canceled, then they have that right to express it. Just like she has the right to say such vile things. Freedom!

(and personally, I always thought cancel culture was more of mass protest for an act that was typically done years ago. Roseanne was an exception to this rule. I am sure there are more, I can't think of more off hand, but someone on here will. Agree 100%, I don't like the whole you said something 15 years ago that was derogatory so now I am out to ruin your career. That is insane. Looking to ruin someone is cancel culture to me. Maybe I perceive it differently, but Wendy Williams actions don't fit the cancel culture definition I think of.)
Offended. No. If someone says something to me or my family that’s mean or whatever. I can just give it back to them twice as bad. But life is too short to be offended. Or such. That’s just weak. It’s an excuse to silent something that someone doesn’t agree with. Something one person may find offensive. Another will not. You can’t censure just because one thinks something is wrong. Because that’s just a personal opinion. I’m 48. Spent 4 years in the Military and 4 reserve after. and 25 years now a Professional firefighter. With those professions.. you have to have very thick skin. We give it and get it. And nothing is off limits. Nothing
But it wouldn’t be better any other way.
This world needs Don Rickles back. And fast.

and this.
Example. People were upset and offended that Vince Vaughn was with Trump at the superbowl. Who in the world that is sane would care who sits with or supports whom? That doesn’t make sense to me. The people that got upset about that needs serious help. Lol
I love Apple. I don’t care what Tim Cook’s political opinions are. I love the products his company creates. I love to enjoy a cigar with him. His beliefs are unimportant to me if I don’t agree with a given opinion. Talk about something else.

Last edited:
Offended. No. If someone says something to me or my family that’s mean or whatever. I can just give it back to them twice as bad. But life is too short to be offended. Or such. That’s just weak. It’s an excuse to silent something that someone doesn’t agree with. Something one person may find offensive. Another will not. You can’t censure just because one thinks something is wrong. Because that’s just a personal opinion. I’m 48. Spent 4 years in the Military and 4 reserve after. and 25 years now a Professional firefighter. With those jobs you have to have very thick skin. We give it and get it. And nothing is off limits. Nothing
But it wouldn’t be better any other way.
This world needs Don Rickles back. And fast.

Don Rickles was hilarious.

I am not asking to censure anyone. I told you point blank I don't agree with cancel culture. My way of silencing Wendy is by not watching her. Unfortunately she keeps popping up in other places so I see her. And yes, I am sick of seeing her. That is it. If she gets canceled so be it, I won't be sad.

And if you're going there ... I am 45 years old. I have dealt with the public in my face for 20+ years as a flight attendant. I have seen a whole hell of a lot. I have been sexually harassed by passengers, and had people of all races and nationalities cursing at me for something that is completely out of my control. It was all a day in the life, and I held my own at a career I loved. And I have a husband who spent 29 years in the military and I can go toe to toe with him when need be. Please, I have a thick skin. I am not a young whipper snapper snowflake so don't get too big in your britches. Don't try and school me . . . we were in school together!

We disagree on this, that is fine.

I just know I cannot tell people they cannot have their feelings. I can't tell someone they cannot be offended. If they are offended, they are offended. I may not agree, and have a right to my opinion, but it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter