My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

Last night was the first "garage" workout. DW joined me which made it fun!!

Workout as follows:

8 min ride on recumbent bike

stretching!

2 sets 15 reps TRX squats
2 sets 15 reps Swiss ball hip lifts (5 sec hold)
2 sets 15 reps TRX rows
2 sets 10 reps TRX side leaps
3- 30 sec planks
3- 30 sec side planks
2 sets 15 reps TRX chest press

Since this was DW first time working out with me, I tried to go back to some of my first week exercises at therapy.
We will probably do the same workout Thursday, but I may throw in something new. I'll have to see how she feels!
She really liked the workout, especially side planks!:rolleyes: First time she has done them.
Overall I think it went well!

DW wasn't feeling well last night, I think she was still recovering from the workout and the painting of the family room downstairs.
So, it was just me and DD for the C25K training last night.

Went something like this:

mile 1- 13:25
mile 2- 12:43
.34 mile 16:30

Total distance 2.34 miles
Miles this week 4.37

Still on first week of C25K, 5 min walk, 8- 60 sec run/90 sec walk, 5 min walk
Pushed DD during runs a little, I think she was feeling it.
I felt really good, but I didn't have time to ice my back afterwards and I'm feeling a little tight today.

DW is feeling better today, so it'll be a good garage workout tonight!! Probably same as Tuesdays workout.
Gonna be a little tricky to get our third run in this week. Going car shopping Friday, gotta work Saturday and then family pics after that.
Might have to have DD and DW run together during the day and I'll run on my own at night.

Last nights garage workout was pretty much the same as Tuesdays. DW joined me again which always make working out more fun!
Listened to our road trip playlist! Always some good jams!!

Workout as follows:

8 min ride on recumbent bike

stretching!

2 sets 15 reps TRX squats
2 sets 15 reps Swiss ball hip lifts (5 sec hold)
2 sets 15 reps TRX rows
2 sets 10 reps TRX side leaps
3- 30 sec planks
3- 30 sec side planks
2 sets 15 reps TRX chest press
Cascading calves starting at 5 for DW and 6 for me.

Added a few experimental exercises to see how DW liked them.

TRX saw (therapist name might actually be called something else but I'm gonna stick with saw)
knee tucks on Swiss ball

We only did a few reps of each of these. DW liked them so we will be adding a few moves for next week!!
Can't run tonight because we are going to the Seattle auto show.
DD and DW are going to run Saturday on their own.
And my plan is to get up a little early and run with Sullivan(our German Shepard) before work!

Woo hoo! up at 3:50 so I could get my run in! I know that sounds impressive, but it's really only 20 min earlier than I normally get up.

Had to run early because I'm working this weekend and we have family stuff going on after work. Felt GREAT to get out and run before the world was awake!!
Had my furry running partner Sullivan with me. sully.PNG
He does much better running when it's just the two of us and no one else is out and about.

Run looked like this:
5 min walk, 8- 60 sec run/90 walk, the final 7 min or so was walking

mile 1- 12:39
mile 2- 10:35 <---- very happy with that mile!! :yay:
final .56 miles- 13:07

total time 30:39
total distance 2.56 miles
miles this week 6.93

All in all a good week of workouts. My back is feeling pretty good. Still not 100%, but certainly making progress. First week without help from the therapist was a success.
Got both garage workouts in and was able to maintain what I felt was good intensity!
Tomorrow is a rest day. But depending on the weather I might go for an afternoon walk with DW.

Question? Where do you guys store your photos so you can put them on here. I was able to link some FB photos. But I tried to link an Instagram pic and couldn't.
Any photo help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Monday- Runday

C25K Week 2 workout 1

According to the C25K app
Avg pace 15:17
total time 29:00
total distance 1.91 miles
5 min warm up, 90 sec run- 2 min walk (repeat 6 times), 5 min cool down

According to Fitbit
Avg pace 15:37
total time 31:30
total distance 2.02 miles
splits
mile 1- 15:19
mile 2- 15:37
mile .02- 31:50

DW and DD joined me last night!! All in all a good run! DW doesn't like the 90 sec runs. Wait til next week when the runs get longer. It's kinda funny, because she says she hates doing it while we are running. But, afterwards she's glad she went and did it! So proud of her for pushing herself!!

I say this every single time. LOL

Sadly, she has decided to take a hiatus from the running. She says she just doesn't like it enough. I totally understand, it's not for everyone. She reserved the right to start back up at any time.

DW joined me again for Tuesdays garage workout. I'm glad she enjoys the garage workout!!

Stretching to start:
Swiss ball chest
Child's pose
Reach thru

Workout went like this:
TRX Squats 2 sets of 15
Swiss ball hip lifts 2 sets of 15
TRX rows 2 sets of 15
TRX side leaps 2 sets of 15
Planks 3- 30 sec
Side planks 3- 30 sec
TRX chest press 2 sets of 15
Resistance bands: side steps & forward steps full length of garage down and back twice equals 1 set, 2 sets of each
TRX saw 2 sets of 15
Cascading calf raises: 2 sets starting at 6 and 6 second hold then counting down

Pretty good workout. DW did great and I'm so happy she will still workout in the garage with me!!

Should have iced and maybe used the TENS on my back last night. I am pretty stiff today. Lesson learned...

We gotta find a happy compromise on the playlist though.... She's a little too mellow for me and I"m a little to head banging for her!!

Last edited:
Sadly, she has decided to take a hiatus from the running. She says she just doesn't like it enough. I totally understand, it's not for everyone. She reserved the right to start back up at any time.
She needs to sign up for a rD event. That may change her mind. :) It did for me!

Last nights run was great! Ran with DD, still bummed about DW's change of heart.

C25K stats:
29:09 total time
2.27 total distance
12:50 min/mile

FitBit stats:
38:53 total time
3.01 total distance
11:59 mile 1
11:33 mile 2
15:07 mile 3 (walked the entire mile)

miles this week 5.03

Rain held off during the run. Remembered to ice my back after run. That seems to have helped out the stiffness. The surgery area has been tender to the touch for a few days. Almost like a bruise. Think I'll ice and use the TENS after tonight's garage workout!!

Another night in the garage working out! Added some reps last night. Feels good today. DW is sore, but in a good way!!

Stretching to start:
Swiss ball chest
Child's pose
Reach thru

Workout went like this:
TRX Squats 3 sets of 15
Swiss ball hip lifts 2 sets of 15
TRX rows 3 sets of 15
TRX side leaps 3 sets of 15
Planks 3- 30 sec
Single leg planks 3- 30 sec
TRX chest press 3 sets of 15
Resistance bands: side steps & forward steps full length of garage down and back twice equals 1 set, 2 sets of each
TRX saw 2 sets of 15
Cascading calf raises: 2 sets starting at 6 and 6 second hold then counting down

I think today is going to be a day off and I'm going to do my 3rd run of the week Saturday morning with DD... If I can get her going early enough!!!

Saturday morning run with DD. Pretty dang chilly this morning, I think it was something around freezing.
C25K
total time 29:11
2.21 miles
13:11 min/mile

Fitbit
2.83 miles
mile 1- 14:01
mile 2- 12:49
.83 mile- 16:17

miles this week 7.86

Rested Friday but took a walk to the local little store with Grandson. Walking through the parking lot my right foot slid on some mud that was next to a parking curb. Came down with my left knee on the curb. Scuffed my knee a little and jarred my back. But I feel fine today, at least as fine as I get at this point.

Felt good to get out in the crisp morning air, times were a little slow but we talked a lot during this run.
Beginning week 3 tonight. It includes a 3- 3 min runs. Should be interesting to see how DD holds up.

Good run with DD last night. A little bit longer interval last night. She is starting to have shin splints so I'm not sure how much longer she'll be able to keep running with me. Poor kid, those things suck!!

Week 3 workout 2- warm up 5 min walk, run 90 sec, walk 90 sec, run 3 min, walk 3 min, run 90 sec, walk 90 sec, run 3 min, 5 min cool down walk
C25K stats
total time 25:09
total distance 1.98 miles
avg pace 12:41/mile

FitBit stats
total time 27:12
total distance 2.04 miles
mile 1- 13:37
mile 2- 12:48
.04 18:57

miles this week 2.04

I was working out my run schedule over the weekend. Barring any problems, I will complete my 10k training sometime in March. And my training for the half marathon doesn't start until June. I'm kicking around ways of adding small distances to my runs and also maybe doing some speed work between March and June. @DopeyBadger or anyone else!! Do you have any suggestions? The ultimate goal would be to increase stamina while also trying to reduce my split times.

I was working out my run schedule over the weekend. Barring any problems, I will complete my 10k training sometime in March. And my training for the half marathon doesn't start until June. I'm kicking around ways of adding small distances to my runs and also maybe doing some speed work between March and June. @DopeyBadger or anyone else!! Do you have any suggestions? The ultimate goal would be to increase stamina while also trying to reduce my split times.

Lots of possible options. I'd say at this point in time, don't write anything down. It's way too far out to even write anything specific in pencil. But once you get to Feb/March is when you can start to really formulate a game plan based on what you've done between now and March. You also want to see what deficiencies crop up between now and March to see what areas would be most beneficial to work on.

Lots of possible options. I'd say at this point in time, don't write anything down. It's way too far out to even write anything specific in pencil. But once you get to Feb/March is when you can start to really formulate a game plan based on what you've done between now and March. You also want to see what deficiencies crop up between now and March to see what areas would be most beneficial to work on.

Thanks for the input! I'll be revisiting this come end of February or so!

Wow! I've really slacked this week. I got my three runs in, but do to turkey day and unforeseen circumstances on Tuesday I missed both garage workouts this week. Bummer.

Wednesdays run was with my buddy Sullivan(see pic above, he's the furry one)

C25K stats
25:07 total time
2.08 miles
12:04 min/mile

All in all I felt good during this run.

Fitbit stats
47:12 total time
3.90 miles
12:06 min/mile
Splits
12:29
12:22
11:10 <-- I'm guessing I ran a fair bit more of this mile
12:26

total miles as of Wed 5.94

Couldn't run on Friday, so I ran on Saturday after a particularly physical day at work. Lots of bending and kneeling and stuffing myself into motor starter cubicles.
Again ran with Sullivan because DD was busy. Sully dang near killed me when he decided to go left at the corner instead of going straight!! Other than that he did great and is a good running buddy!! We did stop and let a couple of little girls pet him. That may account for the extra time and the slower overall pace.

C25K stats
25:07 total time
2.03 miles
12:21 min/mile

Fitbit stats
48:50 total time
3.94 miles <-- same loop as Wednesday only backwards, but .04 longer. Not really a big deal just a curiosity
12:22 min/mile
Splits
12:36
12:41
11:37 <-- again, running more during this mile
12:36

I felt sluggish during this run and I imagine it was from the more physical day at work. I'm still not 100% healed and I really felt it after work. But, I got my butt out there and ran!!

Been slacking on icing and using the TENS lately. Did both last night after playing with my grandson for a bit. I feel pretty good today, but I'm back in the motor starter cubicles again and I'll see how I feel after work.

Begin week 4 of C25K tomorrow! Longer total time and a couple of 5 min runs. Hopefully DD will rejoin me Monday, but she might be hurting after missing 2 out of 3 runs last week!!
Hope everyone enjoyed there Thanksgiving!! Mine was spent making money and then a wonderful dinner with my family! Smoked turkey on the Traeger is the best!!

First day week 4 of C25K. Ran with DD though after running up the long hill on the route I think she would have rather not! After the back surgery, uphills are a little easier on my back than downhill. So, lately I've been running my route backwards to avoid running down the long hill. Up until tonight it wasn't an issue because my C25K portion was done before I got to the long hill and I would just walk up. That all changed with the longer workout. We had to suck it up and run the hill!! Tonight, weather was a bit of an issue. Not the snow and cold that the rest of y'all are dealing with but WINDS!! The run out on our loop wasn't bad, but there was a wicked head wind on the way back! Felt like I was running uphill the whole way!!

C25K Stats
Total time 31:38
Total distance 2.53 miles
Avg pace 12:29/ mile

Fitbit Stats
Total time 51:59
Total distance 4.05
Avg pace 12:50/ mile
Mile 1- 12:54
Mile 2- 11:47
Mile 3- 13:25
Mile 4 13:01

Total miles this week 4.05

Tried to take it a little easy tonight because of the added distance and time. And to not kill DD. Obviously I was successful given my times.
Added a little bit to the route so I could get it past 4 miles. The 3.9ish was just killing me! 4.05 feels much better to my soul.
Tonight, it's back to the garage!

Just wanted to add this. Signed up myself and DD for our first run!! Whoop whoop!!! Super excited to test the repaired back!! http://www.jinglebelldashanacortes.net/

Last edited:
Tuesday's Garage workout with DW! I love working out with her!!

1) Reach thru stretches
2) Bird dog stretch
3) Childs pose stretch
4) TRX squats 3 sets 15 reps
5) Swiss ball hip lifts and hamstring curl 2 sets 15 reps
6) Elbow plank 3 @ 45 sec
7) TRX rows 2 sets 15 reps
8) Side planks 3 @ 30 sec each side (I think we only did 2 sets)
9) Resistance bands forward and side to side 2 sets of down the garage and back
10) TRX chest press 3 sets 15 reps
11) Swiss ball knee raise 2 sets 15 reps each leg
12) TRX lateral lunge 2 sets 15 reps each leg (left hamstring protested the second set so I let it off easy and only did one set)
13) TRX saw 2 sets 15 reps
14) Cascading calves starting at 6 for me and 5 for DW

My hamstrings are very sore today! But in a good way! 10th day in a row of work, 9 more days until a weekend off, I'm getting too old to work two weekends in a row!!
Feeling a little tired, but the running and workouts feel good still. I'll see if I feel that way next week... Pretty good night in the garage. My wife hates side planks with a passion. I might have to replace them in the list. Left hamstring protested the side lunges pretty loudly. I may need to back off a little on those. Tonight is second night of week 4 C25K... I think I'm only going to run the actual workout. No extra distance on top of the training tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter