We're Going Back! May 2017 Trip Report

ChipDale

Earning My Ears
May 12 – 15, 2017

Jane – (that’s me, ChipDale)
Ron – husband
Samantha – sister

I’ve read some very informative trip reports here and they’ve been so helpful that I am going to attempt to do one. As a matter of fact, it was one of Schumigirl’s reports that inspired us to stay at the Royal Pacific two years ago. I hope that I can help someone else as much as her wonderful reports helped me.

A little background – we are longtime Disneyland Annual Passholders and visit 3 to 4 times per year. We used to be frequent Walt Disney World visitors, but since we discovered Disneyland, we make the trip to WDW only every two years. We’ve been to Universal Hollywood quite a few times, most recently Christmas 2016 to check out the new Harry Potter stuff. Our first visit to Universal Orlando was two years ago and we really enjoyed it – the customer service in comparison to Walt Disney World really blew our socks off! I’m the Harry Potter fan, my husband and sister put up with it but also enjoy the Harry Potter areas and appreciate the quality and detailed world that Universal has created. The three of us travel really well together. At Disneyland, my sister and I are up with the birds, get to the parks for Early Entry, do a bunch of rides, then meet my husband for a leisurely breakfast. It works out well for all of us. We like to take it easy in the afternoons and generally try to avoid the peak crowded times in the parks. That’s another reason we loved the Universal Orlando Resort so much – we could easily take breaks and relax at the hotel or enjoy an extra-long lunch hour without feeling rushed.

Our plans:

We fly out of Chicago at 6:00am on Friday, May 12th, land at MCO around 9:30am and pick up the rental car. (We like the freedom of a rental car even if we only use it to get from/to the airport.) We’ll head straight to the Royal Pacific and get checked in and store our bags if our rooms aren’t ready, pick up our Express Passes and probably head over to Universal Studios. Depending on crowd levels, we’ll probably go to Diagon Alley and explore, maybe take the Hogwarts Express over to Islands of Adventure and see what’s happening over there. We would like to try the new Kong ride – we got a taste of that on the Universal Hollywood Studio Tour (there’s a 3-D section with Kong and Fast & Furious) and would like to do the new Jimmy Kimmel ride and finally ride Gringott’s (which was down our entire trip last time). Other than that, our park touring plans are “go with the flow” and see what we feel like doing each day.

Restaurant Plans:

We like to dine at full service places with a bar. I don’t have any concrete plans, but we enjoyed Margaritaville last trip, as well as the restaurants at the Royal Pacific: Jake’s American Bar, Islands Dining Room (breakfast and dinner). I would like to try Toothsome’s and have been reading any reviews I can get my hands on, but I’m not convinced to try it yet. I’ve read excellent reviews of Cowfish and the NBC Sports Grill so we may try them. We are not fish eaters (sister is allergic) but we’ll try about anything else. One thing that I must try is at the Bula Bar at the Royal Pacific – the blood orange margarita! I’ve read good things about their food too.

We are a little over two weeks away and I’ve started pulling our warm weather clothing out. The tip envelopes are made, tickets purchased, and lists made. I’ll try to take some decent notes so I can share my experiences with anyone planning a trip. I am very excited to return and hope that this trip will live up our last visit!

Sounds like you have great plans for a fun vacation.

I have noticed it is getting busier during the last two weeks of May so you all are probably going to be ok with crowds. I will be there a few days after you leave. I take the grandkids every year about the same time in May and have noticed it getting busier every year.

Don't count out Toothesome Chocolate Emporium. I went a few times in September last year and again in January food was very good. Wait times can be a bit daunting sometimes at the busier times, but it is worth a visit.

We have never been disappointed at Cowfish. I tried NBC in January and the food was very good. We do love Mytho's
In IOA. Always have to have a meal there.

You will love Escape from Gringotts. We can't get enough of Diagon Alley.

Have a great trip. Look forward to your trip report pixiedust:

Looking forward to this one.........and thank you for the shout out........so nice to read things like that!!

You have some excellent plans.......and your food options are fabulous! We are not sold on Toothsome at all, but many love it and enjoy it. Jake's, Islands and Bula Bar have gorgeous food........

And love Cowfish and NBC was excellent too........

Really do hope this trip exceeds your last experience.........can't wait to read it.........

We're back! Sorry it has taken so long to get this report started but work and life has a way of interfering LOL. I am happy to report that our trip was fantastic and things could not have gone better! I didn't take many pics (sorry!) so I'm just going to do a day-by-day report and will be happy to answer any questions. I'm going to summarize all of our dining experiences and post them in the Dining thread when I'm done.

Day One - Friday May 12, 2017

We were up in the middle of the night to make it to Chicago ORD for our 6:00am flight. Things went smoothly and we were through Security and at our gate in plenty of time (we’re all Pre-TSA). Our United flight left 10 minutes early and we landed about 15 minutes early at MCO. Due to the recommendations on this board we decided to go with a car service instead of a rental car. Tony Hinds was waiting for us with a sign at the bottom of the escalator (he texted me when we landed too), we waited a couple of minutes for our bags and went downstairs with Tony to his car. It was a quick trip to the Royal Pacific Resort. (Thank you macraven and everyone else who recommended Tony – he was fantastic!) Boy, it was so good to be back at the Royal Pacific! The resort has such a “get away from it all” serene feeling that immediately relaxes you. We left our bags with Bell Services and checked in. Our rooms weren’t ready yet (it was about 10:30am), but we were able to get our Express Passes with our room keys and our Annual Passes at the ticket desk. The whole process only took a couple of minutes so we were ready to walk over to Toothsome for lunch before heading into the parks. Weather was gorgeous – sunny, warm, and a nice breeze to keep the humidity down. We arrived at Toothsome around 11:15 am and were seated upstairs (no wait). Only a few tables were occupied when we sat down, but by the time we were finished it was almost full. Our server took our drink orders right away and gave us time to look through the giant menu (seriously, those things weigh a ton!). The “steam punk” atmosphere is cool and they play an eclectic mix of jazzy music that really sets the mood of the place. Our beers were brought out promptly and we ordered our entrees: two of us had the Southern Fried BLT (buttermilk fried chicken BLT on a fresh bun) with kettle chips, and one had the Pub It Up burger with fries. The chicken BLT was delicious, the kettle chips fresh and crispy (big portion too). I didn’t taste the burger but my husband said it was perfect and he polished off the whole thing. Our server was attentive and brought us more beers as we requested them. None of us had room for dessert, although we enjoyed looking at other diners’ shakes. After reading some mixed reviews of Toothsome I was hesitant about trying it but I am really glad that we did. We browsed the store after lunch but were so full we didn’t buy anything then (we came back the next day).

We started our park touring in Universal Studios. Even though we had the Express Passes, Samantha wanted to try the “reserve a spot” for the Jimmy Fallon ride. We only had about half an hour to wait, and just as we approached the New York street, the Blues Brothers show was about to start. What a fun show and the musicians, singer and the brothers were all fantastic! They really got the crowd going with “Shake Your Tail Feather”. I was so glad that we happened upon them because we enjoyed it very much. We went over to the Jimmy Fallon ride after the show (it’s just around the corner). We browsed the lobby downstairs – it’s a nice museum/tribute to the history of The Tonight Show. We made our way upstairs and this room was packed. After they announced a color, it emptied a lot so we could sit at one of the game tables. We tried a few of the games - cute but nothing I’d want to spend more than 10 minutes on. Our color was announced and we queued up. This is a fun ride, you sit in a theater and with the effects it feels like you’re racing around New York City. Some have asked about motion sickness on this ride but we didn’t think it was very rough and none of us felt sick. The whole attraction is nicely done but we didn’t feel the need to ride it again during our trip.

After Jimmy Fallon, we headed over to take the Hogwarts Express to Islands of Adventure. We ended up waiting about 20 minutes which I didn’t think was too bad for the time of day. The parks were a little crowded but still manageable. Once we got to Hogsmeade, we received texts that our rooms were ready, so we wandered out to the entrance and walked back to the Royal Pacific. We were in Tower 1 (as we requested) on the 4th floor, my sister was on the 5th floor. I love the new décor! Very soothing and relaxing. The rooms have a tiled entryway and bathroom/vanity area (the shower and toilet are in a room separate by a sliding door). We had a king bed and a full-size sofa. The rooms are a decent size. Our room happened to be a connecting room and the only time I heard other guests was from the room next door in the tiled area (it echoes).

Once our bags were delivered I quickly unpacked and we headed down to the Bula Bar and Grille. We were lucky to get three seats at the bar – the pool was busy and most of the tables around Bula were full. Samantha and I had the blood orange margarita on the rocks (yum!) and Ron got a regular frozen margarita. Now the vacation could really begin! There’s nothing like sitting outside at a bar with a nice breeze and a good drink! We had a couple more rounds and hung out for a couple of hours since it was so pleasant. We were planning to have dinner at Islands that night. Since we had been up since the middle of the night we just wanted to hang out at the resort and have an early night. By 5:00pm we were hungry so we headed over to Islands. Surprise! They don’t open until 6:00pm LOL. Change of plans – we were going to eat at Jake’s the next night so we flipped plans and would save Islands for tomorrow night. We got seated right away at Jake’s, it wasn’t busy yet since it was still early. Our server brought our drinks out (more margaritas) and took our food order. I ordered the Roasted Chicken with Pancetta Mac ‘n Cheese; Ron & Samantha ordered the Rib-eye Steak & Frites. My chicken was tender, juicy and succulent and the Mac ‘n Cheese was very tasty (not your regular orange cheesy-sauce Mac ‘n Cheese – this was lighter and the pancetta gave it a lot of flavor). Ron & Samantha loved their steaks and frites. We all cleaned our plates but didn’t save any room for dessert. After dinner we were really feeling the length of the day so we went to our rooms, watched a little TV (they have Turner Classic Movies – yay!) and hit the sack early. Samantha and I have plans to be up for Early Entry to Islands of Adventure tomorrow. We could not have asked for a more perfect beginning to our mini-vacation!

You got me. !!!!

Always something at Jakes that is delicious
Only issue I have at at Jakes is they change their menus at times

Good thing is, they can still make some of the dinners no longer on the menu

Tomato soup and donut was off the menu but they were able to make it for me

Really and truly love your report!

Btw, wasn't Tony great...

You had me at cocktails...........:D

Yep, a lovely start with some excellent fun in the parks and some fabulous food........Jake`s is always top notch!!

Look forward to reading more.......

ORD?

Chgo?

Flew out from there for the last 30 years for Orlando with the exception of using MKE when SW was a steal over United

Yep - ORD O'Hare Chicago is our home airport. :) We're only about 45 minutes away and we are loyal United flyers so it's really convenient for us!

You got me. !!!!

Always something at Jakes that is delicious
Only issue I have at at Jakes is they change their menus at times

Good thing is, they can still make some of the dinners no longer on the menu

Tomato soup and donut was off the menu but they were able to make it for me

Really and truly love your report!

Btw, wasn't Tony great...

Tony was fabulous! I will tell more about him on our last day report. He surpassed our expectations! :) Thank you so much for "introducing" him to us! We really like Jake's and if we had had more time or didn't have so many restaurants that we wanted to try on our list, we would have repeated that meal it was so delicious!

Day 2 – Saturday May 13, 2017

Popped right up with no problem this morning since we hit the sack so early last night. Samantha and I planned to hit Islands of Adventure for Early Entry today. We met up in the lobby and made the beautiful and pleasant walk over to the Citywalk Starbucks for a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich. I love walking through the Citywalk so early (we were there right about 7:00am). Everything’s clean and wide open! Starbucks was empty too, it’s good to beat the crowds LOL. After breakfast, we went over to Islands of Adventure to get in line. There were people already queued up this early (for an 8:00am entry). They opened on time and we walked along with the masses towards Hogwarts. They checked room keys right at Seuss Landing – we knew this and had them ready to show. We went straight to Hogwarts and started our “Castle Tour”. Samantha wasn’t riding, so I could take my bag with me and meet her on the other side. The ride was basically a walk-on. After riding (the ride felt the same to me, somewhere I had read that they toned it down), we wandered around Hogsmeade a little and browsed the shops before joining the queue for the Hogwarts Express. By this time (around 8:30am) the line for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey was outside the gates! We waited (and waited…) in the Hogwarts Express line. They didn’t open the turnstile to check our tickets until right about 9:00am. Ron texted us that he was already inside Universal Studios waiting at Kings Cross station (Universal had opened early at about 8:40am). I’ve read some good strategies on this board how to beat the crowds to Gringotts via Hogwarts Express but today was not one of those times where it could work.

Once we got off at Kings Cross station, we met Ron and went straight into Diagon Alley. While I do like Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley just blows me away and I could spend a lot of time there. We went straight to Gringotts – Ron wasn’t going to ride, so we could take our bags with us. (Gringotts was closed throughout our last visit so this was our first time.) WOW WOW WOW! best describes how I feel about this whole experience. The bank lobby with the chandeliers, marble and the goblins at their desks is nothing short of spectacular. I’m glad that Ron came in with us because I didn’t know that they take your picture before moving on further into the queue. The effects with Bill Weasley in the bank office are outstanding. We simply loved the entire queue! We parted with Ron at the designated checkpoint and went upstairs to load onto the ride. It reminded me a lot of the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland in the way that it’s set up. We weren’t prepared though for our car to actually spin around! LOL Again, simply spectacular! Loved it! We met up with Ron after the ride and bought a few items in the little shop at the exit.

Samantha and I wanted to do the show at Ollivander’s so we queued up for that while Ron went in search of frozen Butterbeer. They were just letting a group through, so Samantha and I were first in the queue to wait for the next show. We started chatting with Team Member Candace who was so adorable and friendly! We enjoyed chatting with her more than we enjoyed the show (we did like the show, I don’t need to do it again though). Samantha posted a picture of Candace on Twitter with our compliments about her and Universal responded and asked for more info. I hope that they passed it along to Candace because she was exactly the type of Team Member you want to meet and was just perfect for working in Diagon Alley. We wandered around Diagon Alley some more, browsed the shops and visited Knockturn Alley. Ron visited Florean Fortescue’s for some ice cream while we shopped. By now Diagon Alley was filling up so we left to explore the rest of the Studios.

We had never been on The Mummy before, so Samantha and I decided to try it. With our Express Passes it was a walk-on (Ron didn’t want to ride so he held our bags). This indoor rollercoaster was a hoot! I think I laughed through the entire ride. We both really enjoyed it and planned to ride again tomorrow. After Mummy, we went over to Shrek 4-D where again our Express Passes came in handy (the line was very long). I didn’t like being crammed in to the pre-show room with so many people and by the time we got into the theater there weren’t any seats together. It’s a funny show and we did enjoy it but I didn’t need to do it again on this trip. After Shrek we decided that we had had enough of crowds and left the park to go to lunch. Today we chose The Cowfish at Citywalk because I had read so many great reviews of the place. We arrived around 11:30am and were immediately seated upstairs. Nice airy & sunny atmosphere with “fishy” TV screens. Ron and Samantha ordered beers and I tried their “Grapefruit Smash” cocktail. It was delicious! We ordered the Edamame (with sea salt) appetizer. Large portion, plenty for 3 of us to share and really tasty. All three of us ordered the Cheeseburgooshi Roll (a rolled-up, sushi-style burger, coated with crispy hashbrowns). The Cheeseburgooshi turned out to be our favorite meal of the trip. All three of us cleaned our plates and wished we had more LOL. Service was great – our server kept an eye on our drinks so we didn’t have to wait long for refills. We didn’t have dessert because we were planning to hit up Toothsome’s candy shop. All three of us give The Cowfish a hearty thumbs up and look forward to dining there again.

After lunch we wandered back over the bridge to Toothsome’s. Samantha and I checked out their candy shop and bought a few things and Ron went to their quick serve ice cream counter and got a chocolate shake. We sat at a table in the quick serve area so Ron could enjoy his shake and we nibbled on our chocolates. The shake was so thick he had to eat it with a spoon. I tried a bit and it was really yummy!

Today was mostly cloudy and the news this morning said afternoon storms, so we headed back over to the Royal Pacific. After freshening up in our rooms, we headed down to get a couple of drinks at the Bula Bar before the storm. We all had more margaritas and we were enviously eyeing the nachos, so we ordered some chicken nachos to share. Warning – it’s a huge portion and plenty for at least four people. They’re really good too! We munched on the nachos and enjoyed our drinks while we watched the sky get darker. After a while they announced for everyone to get out of the water due to lightning and not too long after that they closed the bar so we paid up and shifted inside to Jake’s American Bar. Jake’s was busy but we managed to snag three seats at the bar. It had started raining by now and people were seeking shelter from the storm. We ordered more margaritas and had fun just relaxing until dinner. We planned to eat at Islands Dining Room tonight – they open at 6:00pm. We went across the hall and checked in right after 6:00pm and were seated immediately. The restaurant was not busy but would fill up after we were done eating. Samantha and Ron ordered water and I had a beer. Ron started with the Thai Coconut soup and we all enjoyed the fresh bread & butter. We ordered a Chicken Yakitori as an appetizer (very tasty). For our entrees, Ron and Samantha had the Kung Pao Chicken and I had the General Tso’s Chicken. Service and food were excellent and we were all so full that we didn’t order dessert. Again, we made it an early night, went back to our rooms, watched a little TV and hit the sack early. Another fun day! :)

I apologize that these are taking so long. Life's been crazy busy these last few weeks! Thank you for sticking with me...

Day 3 – Sunday, May 14, 2017

Samantha and I got up super early again so we could take our wonderful early morning walk (I love the walkway along the water) to Citywalk and hit up Starbucks for breakfast again. We were going to Universal this morning and skip the Early Entry at Islands of Adventure since I was good with riding Forbidden Journey just once and taking the Hogwarts Express to beat the crowds to Gringotts yesterday was a bust. I needed to pick up my tickets for the Cinematic Spectacular dessert package that I purchased online, so we stopped at the Will Call kiosks outside the park. This was super quick and easy – I simply inserted the credit card that I used to buy the tickets, everything came up on the screen I verified it and it printed our tickets in seconds. We were early, but we queued up at the turnstiles at Universal. The official opening time is 9:00am, but since they opened at 8:40am yesterday we were hoping that they would do the same today. I love the movie music that they play and it was a nice sunny breezy morning, so we didn’t mind waiting. Soon Ron texted that he was finishing breakfast (Orchid Court again at the Royal Pacific) and he would meet us in line. Sure enough, they did open early (yay!) so we made our way over to Diagon Alley with the rest of the crowd. I love that the Team Members in Diagon Alley are lined up to greet the first Muggles of the day! We went straight in to Gringotts, Ron came with us again so he could hold our bags while we rode and get another picture taken. Our second time through the queue and on the ride were just as fabulous as the first time! It is so gratifying how incredibly well done this attraction is. After Gringotts, Ron went to seek out more frozen Butter Beer (that was his favorite treat of the trip) while we shopped and meandered. The shops in Diagon Alley are just so perfect! (Be sure to go to the mirror in Madam Malkin’s.) As we all know, Harry Potter merchandise isn’t exactly cheap, but I feel that it’s quality stuff and worth the price. We bought several gifts for family and friends, met up with Ron and left the area after walking through Knockturn Alley. Samantha and I wanted to ride The Mummy again, so Ron held our bags and we went right through the Express Pass queue. We managed to escape with our souls intact – phew! This coaster just cracks me up – our picture was hilarious! We went over to the Simpsons area because I had read about the Big Pink Donut. We had to try one! The Simpsons area was really calm in the morning (Duff Gardens doesn’t open until 11am) – the place was a ghost town today. We found a table in the shade (it was a very warm day) and started in on the donut. Wow, it was fresh and delicious! It comes with a knife so we could easily cut pieces. We enjoyed people-watching while we ate.

After our snack, since we were close by, we went on the E.T. ride. I know many love this ride for the nostalgia (I like it too) but it could really use a facelift. We walked right on and didn’t need our Express Pass. After E.T., we went over to do the Minions ride. Express Pass is awesome since the line for this was already pretty long. We walked right on straight to the preshow. This is such a cute ride, who doesn’t like the Minions? We decided that since today is Mother’s Day and it was getting fairly crowded, we should make a reservation for lunch, so Samantha called Dining and got us a spot at the NBC Sports Grill & Bar (turns out we didn’t really need it, but better safe than sorry). We had some time before lunch, so we walked over to Islands of Adventure to try the new King Kong ride. We had been to Universal in California over Christmas and their Studio Tour tram ride includes a 3-D King Kong experience. We figured that the ride in Florida would be an expanded version of this, and it was. With Express Pass we walked right on. The effects in this attraction are good and we liked the ride, but once was enough for this trip.

We started out of the park to make our way over to the NBC Sports Grill. The crowds were getting to us and it was getting hotter so we were ready to sit somewhere cool and get some cold beers with lunch. We checked in at 11:30am, and were seated immediately. It was a little busy but not overwhelming. We were seated by the open windows – I really liked the design of this place. We were sort of outside but not actually outside (the windows can close up completely or when they’re open it’s sort of like sitting on a porch). It’s a great place to people watch! Our server was really good – she brought us our cold beers right away and we cooled down quickly. Ron and I had the chicken salad sandwich with tater tots and Samantha had the Cuban meatloaf with tater tots. Everything was delicious and our server was attentive and made sure our drinks were full. No room for dessert. I have read a lot of reviews on this place and they were right!

After lunch, we were too full to do more park touring, so we walked back to the Royal Pacific. We decided to take a little nap since we had tickets for the Cinematic Spectacular Dessert Party tonight. After our rest, Samantha and I met in the lobby and played some backgammon and enjoyed the atmosphere. I do wish that the Orchid Court Lounge was open during the day. It’s a comfortable place to hang. We played for a little while then went back upstairs to clean up for and early dinner. Samantha is a Jimmy Buffet fan, so of course we had to go to Margaritaville. We arrived about 4:30pm and it was busy. We opted to sit inside vs on the porch because it was hot. We were told that it would be about 20 minutes for a table, so we went to the bar and ordered some margaritas. I had a watermelon margarita, Samantha got pineapple and Ron had regular. The watermelon was fantastic and so was the pineapple! We enjoyed our drinks and got seated in about 30 minutes. We all ordered another drink and some cheese curds for an appetizer. The cheese curds were really good, crispy on the outside and not too greasy – just like we get in Wisconsin. For dinner, Samantha and Ron had the Cheeseburger in Paradise and I had the Cuban sandwich. Everything was yummy! We had a good time listening to the music and enjoying the atmosphere. Service was good and attentive. We shared a Key Lime Pie for dessert – delicious!

After dinner, we wandered over to Universal Studios. I couldn’t believe how uncrowded the park was. It was so busy earlier. We had some time to kill before we had to check in for the Cinematic Spectacular Dessert Party at 8:00pm, so Samantha and Ron got a coffee at Starbucks and we stayed in the New York area near Starbucks and enjoyed the gorgeous weather (by this time it had cooled down significantly) and enjoyed the atmosphere music. A little before 8:00pm we went over to Lombard’s to check in for the dessert party. We gave the Team Member our tickets, he gave us each a glass of sparkling cider and we sat at a table. The dessert (buffet-style) included both white and dark chocolate-covered strawberries, brownies, mini orange cupcakes (those were delicious), cookies, and other small-bite desserts. They had coffee and lemon-flavored water on hand (self-serve). They had chairs set up facing one of the screens, so after getting something to eat, we seated ourselves. The evening was breezy and I almost wished that I had brought a jacket with me, but it wasn’t too uncomfortable. We felt so calm and relaxed – there was a ton of space (I’d say there were maybe 30 to 40 people on the deck with us). The show is good – it’s not a “pull out all the stops” extravaganza but we really enjoyed it and would watch again. I like how laid back the nighttime crowds are at Universal as opposed to Disney where it can be stressful and frenzied trying to see their nighttime shows. We would do the Dessert Party again – it wasn’t so crowded that we needed to do it to guarantee ourselves a viewing spot, but it was nice to have a place to sit and the desserts were good too. My only wish is that the restaurant’s bar was open so we could have enjoyed a cocktail while we watched. (Special thanks to DisneyMomKB for the Cinematic Spectacular Dessert Party information!)

The park was now closed so we slowly walked out, enjoying the music and the wonderful weather. We walked back to the Royal Pacific for our last night in their comfy beds. We thought about stopping at Orchid Lounge for a nightcap, but decided against it since we’d be up early again tomorrow.

I've not heard of the dessert party before, that sounds like fun! Loving your trip report so far & I totally agree with Ron...frozen Butterbeer is AMAZING!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!