We're half way there - JUNE WISH month of motivation

The weekend went well and I feel like my first week of getting up in the morning to go for a walk went well. I missed 2 days but I was sick and as soon as I was feeling better I went back to getting up. Saturday was fun and I got to meet my little brothers girlfriend. He is 13 years younger then me so he is 25. I really like her and I really hope this one lasts as they will be doing a long distance relationship for 2 years starting the fall. I did get a ton of dancing in at the wedding and had a lot of fun. On Sunday we got stuff around the house done and grocery shopping. DH and myself were so tired but we still went for a walk in between the rain. I got almost 11,500 steps so when DH went for a walk at night I declined. I thought I might over do as my legs were a little sore from dancing the night before. We did do some squats and jumping jacks as well and will add in some lunges today. It gave us something to do during the commercials and to keep us awake since we were both wanting to sleep at 6. This morning I got up and went for a walk but I don't think I will be able to get one this afternoon. We have one crazy day of activities.

I'm really pondering @Lady Marie's choice of words: committed versus interested. I really think I am more interested than committed. I think maybe it's the level of commitment I'm pondering. I'm just working on baby steps to be the healthiest I can be in the moment. Maybe if I was more committed I'd be out there working up a sweat at the gym more and never eating (insert favorite indulgence here) again. But I don't know if those things are sustainable for me. This is going to last a lifetime and I think the tortoise approach works.

Those words also really resounded with me as well.... I tend to think I have been more interested than committed in the last couple of years that I have been joining in these threads - but then again that does show that we are on the journey as we even have to be interested to make a start. You comments reminded me of something we covered in a class at uni which is about change and motivational interviewing - the ideas is that there are 5 basic stages of readiness to change behavior include:
  • a. PRE-CONTEMPLATION – no intention of changing presently
  • b. CONTEMPLATION- considering a change in behavior
  • c. PREPARATION – preparatory actions following the decision to change behavior
  • d. ACTION – currently engaged in behavior change activities
  • e. MAINTENANCE – the continuation of a changed behavior beyond 6 mos
The other 2 important factors for change are how important it is to you and how confident you feel that you can make the change... All things that we need help with sometimes.

I think personally I am kind of between b,c &d if that makes sense for different parts of my journey - eating I am more in the c & d but exercise I am more in the b and a tiny bit c - I really struggle with the exercise part of it.

Just remember you are right and if you hit it too hard you may not sustain it and then start a few steps further back from where you are - slow and steady wins the race. I have known @LadyMarie on the threads for a couple of years now and would think she would agree that it took her time to achieve her current level of commitment and achievement as well :-)

Oh no! I hope what I was saying wasn't offensive to anyone. I was just talking about my frame of mind in my journey. What works for some doesn't work for all. But I will 100% agree that what you commit to should be sustainable, and I 100% agree that the pace or size of step doesn't matter -- everyone's journey is their own :-)

@4Mickeys I love your continuum! That's explains it in such a clear way that I think better represents the process. And you're so right-- for three years I hung around the boards between A and C. 18 months ago I was ready to move to D. And if we go by the 1-2 lbs a week thing, I should have lost my weight in 5 months but I took triple the time -- Ice Cream, wine, Friday lunch with the office and all.

For me it looks like this: I was and still am 100% committed to having dessert (or sometimes wine!) about 3 times a week.... this is why it takes me so long to loose. Haha! But that's because I know I am not giving up sweets or wine for the rest of my life. But then that meant I had to get committed on something else.... I had to commit to exercise a little or to eating a leaner dinner to compensate for the dessert and wine commitment. And now I think I should commit to a serving size which is by far the absolute hardest part for me. More often than not I eat two servings of ice cream (who are they kidding with 1/2 a cup!) :rotfl: So I think I am just interested on that front ... But I know I am not giving that up forever so I am trying to find ways to make that work.

Another one that kind of weighs on my mind sometimes is at the gym when I am doing the cardio part of class, I am a "power walker"-- not a runner, jogger, or biker. Not only does running aggravate my hip, I just plain out HATE running. I tried for a while, but eventually said it's not worth it. I know I can't commit to it. Some of my brain demons get to work on that one and I feel inadequate. I mean, so much more progress could be made so much quicker if I would just run. But I am not going to fight that battle. I can commit to walking so that's what I am going to do.

I don't know exactly where I am going with that other than I don't think I have to commit to being the best version of myself... just a tiny bit better and trust the process for the long haul... ok, end of my my ramblings for today Haha!

I also don't know what's motivating me... in fact, this weekend has been off the rails. I haven't been able to plan like I wanted to. I am housesitting for a friend so my whole world is a bit turned upside down. That coupled with the impending weekend in Orlando and I know I should be making better choices for myself. These are the moments I should be learning from but that I struggle with.

The good news is I am back in my house tomorrow night and can get a few days back on track before we leave.

Have a wonderful Monday all!

I'm really pondering @Lady Marie's choice of words: committed versus interested. I really think I am more interested than committed. I think maybe it's the level of commitment I'm pondering. I'm just working on baby steps to be the healthiest I can be in the moment. Maybe if I was more committed I'd be out there working up a sweat at the gym more and never eating (insert favorite indulgence here) again. But I don't know if those things are sustainable for me. This is going to last a lifetime and I think the tortoise approach works.

One of the thoughts I had on this topic was this is an example of action versus passive. Committed is action. I'm committed to my weight loss journey because I do X, Y, and Z.

"Interested" is passive. I see a recipe and I'm interested in making it, or a diet and I'm "interested." When I take a step to making the recipe or starting the diet, I'm committing to it.

I can't help but feel that it has had some negative effect on my weight-loss as well.

Apart from it playing with your motivation - prolonged periods of stress cause the release of cortisol and other hormones that will affect the body and its ability to lose weight.

On the plus side, so far I haven't broken my diet plan and I'm down .8lbs from last week

Good for you :-)

Been a long time since I storm ate like that.

But I'm chalking it up as a learning experience and moving on

So - it sounds like you don't do it every weekend - but I hear your disappointment - but loving that you are letting it go as a reminder and powering on this week.

In lean business methodology there's a process called "Plan, Do, Check, Adjust" and "iterating" is a big deal right now... meaning don't wait until you've got everything perfectly worked out, get close, try it, then tweak it and try it again. I really hadn't thought of it before, but these ideas can also be applied to our healthy living goals.

There is also an approach used in the health field very similar to this (I can't for the life of me remember its actual name right now) so yes you can definitely apply what you already know from your success at work to adding to your success with wellness.

The weekend went well and I feel like my first week of getting up in the morning to go for a walk went well. I missed 2 days but I was sick and as soon as I was feeling better I went back to getting up. Saturday was fun and I got to meet my little brothers girlfriend. He is 13 years younger then me so he is 25. I really like her and I really hope this one lasts as they will be doing a long distance relationship for 2 years starting the fall. I did get a ton of dancing in at the wedding and had a lot of fun. On Sunday we got stuff around the house done and grocery shopping. DH and myself were so tired but we still went for a walk in between the rain. I got almost 11,500 steps so when DH went for a walk at night I declined. I thought I might over do as my legs were a little sore from dancing the night before. We did do some squats and jumping jacks as well and will add in some lunges today. It gave us something to do during the commercials and to keep us awake since we were both wanting to sleep at 6. This morning I got up and went for a walk but I don't think I will be able to get one this afternoon. We have one crazy day of activities.

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and a great balance of family, fun, activity and healthiness :-)

Oh no! I hope what I was saying wasn't offensive to anyone. I was just talking about my frame of mind in my journey.

Definitely not offensive - it was a great post that got a few of us thinking :-)

I just plain out HATE running.

Me to - soooooo me to:rotfl:

Topic Tuesday

There are a range of theories, guidelines and recommendations not just about what we eat but WHEN. For example 3 meals a day, grazing across the day, intermittent fasting etc. So as we talked a little bit last week about habits and routines let’s get a little more specific this week.

What is your eating routine? What influences your routine … Is there a reason you have chosen or follow it? Does it work for you? Or, do you think you need to make changes?

What is your eating routine? What influences your routine … Is there a reason you have chosen or follow it? Does it work for you? Or, do you think you need to make changes?

I tend to have Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner and really probably 2-3 snacks. Breakfast is usually between 6.30-7.30 on a weekday, Lunch around 12pm on a weekday and dinner anytime from 6-7.30pm - sometimes even as late as 8pm depending on work and getting it cooked on a weekday.

Snack - recently I am generally having fruit for a morning snack - although sometimes I don't have morning snack at all - especially when I am in schools. I can sometimes slip when I get home and have a pre-dinner snack - and then I am still having a chocolate snack after dinner.

What influences my routine is family and work. I think it mostly works - I would like to clean up my snacking more - it is not the general timing of my routine I think but mostly what I eat - although I do think 8pm is getting a little too late to eat dinner - but life happens some nights.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I got some news about DD14 this afternoon from her dentist - we need to go and see an orthodontist after she has a special type of mouth xray - early indications are that she needs surgery and orthodontic work - they picked up last year that she had not lost one of her canine-baby teeth and it is sitting sideways in the gum pushing on the root of the eye tooth - we are hoping it has not damaged the eye tooth root too much. I am putting on a brave face for her - she is upset and anxious about it all as is expected. I have no idea where I am going to find the $$$ to cover it all - but I guess in the end we always do as parents.

No wonder this morning I had a moment of anxiousness after having unexpected pain in my back - which induced a trip to the doctors - as I couldn't shift my mind from worst case scenarios. Just when I thought I had been doing really well for some time now. Dr thinks it is muscular - I think it is that and stress - anticipating the bad new for DD and DS17 was also experiencing year 12 exam anxiety this past week - he had to do an oral presentation and he finds those really hard.

So it has been a tough week - but I am sticking to our meal plans - although there has been chocolate eating - definitely chocolate eating.

I have an awesome routine during the week. I walk to/from the train station (2.6 miles roundtrip), exercise at the gym before work, and bring my breakfast, lunch, and snacks to work -- only have to plan a sensible dinner and NOT EAT IN THE EVENINGS! Love my weekday routine, and it works. Example -- have already logged over 10,000 steps by 8:00 a.m. this morning.

But when I work from home, and on weekends, I tend towards slug-like behavior. It's hard for me to get my 10,000 steps, unless I stomp my foot and remind myself of my promises and commitment and get my butt out of bed on the weekends.

I keep listening to the weekend podcasts by Phit-N-Phat, and need to get some better weekends wins under my belt. I'm not exactly white-knuckling it, but I'm really afraid of losing traction and gaining some of the weight back (I keep hovering around 223-225, since mid April, so it's not happened yet).

I'm working on doing a written plan for the full weekend -- I do 24-hour plans during the week, but somehow I give myself a "vacation" on the weekend.

For the first month of my 'plan' I was eating a light breakfast and lunch and a larger dinner. This gave me wiggle room with my spouse and friends, so I had more calories available incase people wanted to eat out or something.

This week, I am trying intermittent fasting. So far, I do like the fact that it gives me a larger lunch, but I've found I seem to feel hungrier in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. I don't tend to get super ravenous in the mornings, though and oddly, despite not having food in the mornings, I feel like I have more energy. It's given me the boost to put in extra steps walking to the train station or before lunch.

My weekday meal routine is pretty simple.

Breakfast: Redbull + Protein Drink
Lunch: V8 Fusion + Lean Cuisine Cheese Pizza
Dinner: Teriyaki Chicken / Brown Rice or some other chicken
Snacks (optional): Vitamin Water, Protein Bar, Outshine Fruit Bar

Weekends are a little harder, but I typically do ok. I think I need to try to cut back on the snacks and try to stay below 1500 calories if I want to lose the last few pounds. I'm still trending downward, but I seem to lose some one week, gain some the next week. It's in a more constant state of flux than I'm comfortable with, but at least it's trending in the right direction. I've also been drinking a lot more water than usual (it's hot), so that may account for the weight fluctuation somewhat.

My biggest problem is trying to find a consistent way to exercise. I walked 10+ miles on Saturday and I hauled hay yesterday, but my current schedule doesn't allow me to do the same thing everyday. It's not the end of the world, but I like to stay consistent whenever possible.

Weekdays I start with sugar/carbs and caffeine aka Starbucks. Then lunch usual ends up grabbing something quickly and eating at my desk, fortunately there's a fresh market buffet style place across the street where you can pick and choose what you want. Afternoon snack comes from the vending machine and is something sugary. Dinner could be anything from eating nothing, to grabbing some left overs or fast food, to eating out which may include a cocktail. Weekends is no breakfast, lunch eating out and dinner is nothing or something frozen or left overs. YIKES!

Do I need to make changes? Well, yes I do! I had already determined that this morning would be my last trip to Starbucks: I was thinking of this because I need to be dairy-free so I stop coughing, but also starting the day with sugar sets up needing more sugar in the afternoon to keep going. And I'm getting going on my green smoothies again, which will be my dinners. Making just those two changes will be huge!

After being on probiotics and the anti-yeast stuff for a week I was trying to figure out if its working or not. I had another anger-flare up last evening... that tells me more stuff is dieing off, which is ultimately a good thing. I've been staying awake when I get home from work, instead of curling up for a nap, so that's also a good thing... I think things are moving in the right direction.

The gal putting together the knitting retreat has invited everyone to make knitted pendants that she'll be putting together to make a banner that'll be hung each year. Last night I started to putz around with the pattern and ended up totally changing it... partly because I was struggling with the instructions but also because the yarn I wanted to use didn't want to be knitted up that way. And you always have to listen to the yarn. So instead of a solid piece with a raised pattern in it, I now have a lacy pendant that is slightly reminiscent of a fishing net, which is totally appropriate. I'm really pleased with it and can't wait to finish and block it tonight, so I can post it on IG. I think I'll even knit another one... or two.

I eat breakfast at at 10, lunch at about 12 and dinner at about 5. Sometimes I do have a snack at night around 8. I eat breakfast late because I am not hungry in the morning and hate eating right after I get up. I only eat toast so nothing big. Lunch just kind of happens at this time. Sometimes it is later all depends on how hungry I am. DH always has dinner ready when i get home. The kids and DH are starving by then. I usually force myself to eat but I am usually not hungry but know I should eat. I could wait another hour or 2 but DH and DD get Hangry at the slightest bit of being hungry. It is best to eat at 5 before the mood kicks in.

I have oatmeal and fruit (recently changed from brown sugar!) and Greek yogurt for breakfast weekdays around 6:45 when I'm back from the gym. Lunch is leftover dinner around 12:45 and then dinner is around 6:00. I eat almonds for a snack around 10. Sometimes I munch while making dinner but I try to not do that! Sometimes I'll have an ice cream sandwich (150 calories!) or something in that calorie range or less (popcorn, hot cocoa) for dessert. I used to not have a snack and took my lunch about half an hour later. I discovered I ate tons before dinner. Once I started my mid-morning snack, I wasn't hungry after work. Weekends are either I'm so busy I don't snack at all or I spend the entire weekend grazing! It's a crap shoot.

There's really no reason why I eat that way. It just seems to work. The oatmeal started because I would go to the gym, dash home, and then meet friends for a three mile walk. I'd get too hungry walking so ate that before and then the yogurt after. I'm very much into consistency so like my specific meal times. I guess that's why!

We went to Ikea Sunday. Bought a little cabinet to put by the front door (it replaces a little table). DH didn't like the fact that the back of the black cabinet was just the foldable thin stuff and it wasn't black on both sides. So tonight we ran out and got a can of black spray paint. He sprayed it so now everything is black. Finally I can start hiding some of our stuff! I would like to begin purging but think I am just starting to think about it (a: pre-contemplate)--I'm a long way from committed!!!

I cut my healthy eating reading and talking but always love this forum. I guess it's where I posted when I lost weight last time and there is so much learning & sound advise from others! I am not giving up this one

I had too much watermelon last night but manage to balance my end of day calories. I woke up having thoughts about wanting to lose weight again but Corrine voice reminded me I want to live healthy! I repeated the thought few times - I want to live healthy, I want to be healthy and I love that I love a good salad a good walk and a yoga class.

After about 60 seconds I felt happier

I just want to do my best every day, every meal while enjoying my life.

I also decided to weight myself little more often (compared to once monthly). Main reason is I want to relax into my maintenance and start feeling that I am living it but also have a regular feedback to know I need to be more careful if things start going the wrong direction

whoohoo of the day - well, you know - one week to go to our big 16 day at SSR vacation!!! If anyone is in florida around that time and fancy catching up for walk & salad pm me

WooHoo its Wednesday !!! Let's celebrate ourselves and each others achievements this week - Share it all big or small

giphy.gif

My Woohoo is small after a week of stress and worry about the kids. My weight has been fluctuating in the last week and a half (thanks peri-menopoause and prolonged you know whats) - The scale did a small move downwards below my last lowest weight which was back on 29 May pretty much 2 weeks ago!! - so woohoo for that small but inspiring downward shift.

My woohoo is that I have gotten up early to walk every day so far this week. Well except for today. I won't walk by myself early in the morning or after dark so i go with DH. He works from home 4 days a week so those are the days that I walk with him. This morning he was leaving at 445 or 5 because he has to leave the house by 6 for work when in the office. That is just too earlier for me. Maybe I can handle that later down the road but right now 530 is the earliest I am getting up.

Woohoo... I'm officially a year older, wait, is getting old really woohoo-able? Still being here is a happy thing, so we'll woohoo to that.

My first birthday present came yesterday, an 'Adventurers Kit' from the website Minimus that sells sample and single-use sizes of tons of stuff. The kit is full of things an adventurer would need, like poison ivy ointment, Advil, bug spray. I'll be getting my second present tonight, a travel watercolor and sketching kit: one of the days in Alaska we're doing a land excursion, which includes sketching and water color journaling, something I've been wanting to get in to. My third present comes either today or tomorrow, the book that the gal I took my block printing class from just published. Fourth gift will be a Birds of Alaska book, that should come Friday. I get one gift per decade, so I'm still working on the last two... maybe I'll wait and get a couple things form the yarn store hosting the retreat.

Full disclosure... I got my breakfast at Starbucks this morning, but I got unsweetened iced tea, so no dairy. Well done me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter