Whale watching in or around Newport Beach, CA

Millermom3

Earning My Ears
Looking for feedback on where to go whale watching in or around Newport Beach, CA. We will be there in late June. My daughter loves whales and will be disappointed if we don't see at least one. I've searched for reviews on the Whale watching cruises in the area. But the reviews are all over the place. Some look like they loved it others hated it. Don't want to spend a fortune but want a good experience. Some of the companies look like they just shuttle as many people out as they can or if they don't get a full load they cancel the whole trip. Really don't want to be on an overloaded boat looking at only dolphins. Any suggestions or feedback would be great! Thanks!

June isn't a great time to whale watch in southern CA. They tend to be most visible in the winter months. I wouldn't personally book a whale watching excursion in June. Just go to the beach and enjoy!

June isn't a great time to whale watch in southern CA. They tend to be most visible in the winter months. I wouldn't personally book a whale watching excursion in June. Just go to the beach and enjoy!

Unfortunately, we will only be there in June. And my daughter (who wants to be a marine biologist) is so excited to see a whale out in nature. Most of the cruise companies say they can be viewed year round but I figured they are harder to see in the summer months. That's why I was trying to figure out which company was the best. Who makes the most effort to get out there and find them? Any suggestions on which company does the best job? Thanks!

I haven't done this one, but it has been highly rated for years. Dana Point is a little south of Newport Beach. http://www.dolphinsafari.com/
I wouldn't set my sights too high on seeing whales, though. In San Diego, prime whale watching season is Jan - march. I went in March once and the people working on the boat said that whale watching season was already over and we should only go in January.

Unfortunately, we will only be there in June. And my daughter (who wants to be a marine biologist) is so excited to see a whale out in nature. Most of the cruise companies say they can be viewed year round but I figured they are harder to see in the summer months. That's why I was trying to figure out which company was the best. Who makes the most effort to get out there and find them? Any suggestions on which company does the best job? Thanks!

Well, you will likely see a ton of great white sharks and sea lions in June. Your daughter should be interested in those as well. Honestly, whales are super rare in the summer months this far south. The companies will say you can see them "year round" because they have a business to run. They won't guarantee you a whale sighting. The best chance of that is a summer cruise to Alaska. You will see tons of whales that way.

Currently, our coastal waters are being innundated by dozens of great white sharks. So, that is what you will likely see if you take a whale watching excursion next month. Get your daughter excited about that. The whales will stay away due to the sharks. They have all long gone. You *may* see a random gray whale. Maybe.

If you must, choose a company out of Dana Point Harbor.

OP, look on these site for the area you are visiting for whale watching to get discounts

Groupon.com
Livingsocials.com

Travelzoo.com

I use them all the time. Wonderful to save a little money

They do get an occasional blue whale in June, but the chances are excellent on dolphins which are actually much more entertaining then a whale. I seen pods of 100s at a time, and they love to play with the boats

I've gone with danawharf.com a few times in July and Aug, tho last was 3 years ago. Each time we saw blue whales and lots of dolphins. This may have changed since but when we went there was free parking at the wharf and the restaurant on the pier was great.
Tuesday's are half price.

I've gone with danawharf.com a few times in July and Aug, tho last was 3 years ago. Each time we saw blue whales and lots of dolphins. This may have changed since but when we went there was free parking at the wharf and the restaurant on the pier was great.
Tuesday's are half price.

Well, you will likely see a ton of great white sharks and sea lions in June. Your daughter should be interested in those as well. Honestly, whales are super rare in the summer months this far south. The companies will say you can see them "year round" because they have a business to run. They won't guarantee you a whale sighting. The best chance of that is a summer cruise to Alaska. You will see tons of whales that way.

Currently, our coastal waters are being innundated by dozens of great white sharks. So, that is what you will likely see if you take a whale watching excursion next month. Get your daughter excited about that. The whales will stay away due to the sharks. They have all long gone. You *may* see a random gray whale. Maybe.

If you must, choose a company out of Dana Point Harbor.

Thanks so much! We'll give it a try! You're right I think she'll enjoy seeing any of the ocean life. Would be great if it worked out and she got to see a whale. So confusing with so many different companies to pick from. Good and bad reviews for them all. Guess we'll keep our fingers crossed that it's a good experience.

I'm sure she'd love seeing dolphins too! Guess we'll just hope for a whale to be hanging out too!

if you look around on the danawharf.com. com site they list what was spotted each day. Not the fish count page - that lists fish that were caught, I've hit that page too often. There's another page that lists how many and what type (dolphins, whales, etc) were seen.
It might be interesting for your daughter to keep an eye on whale activity.

We went last June, on Father's Day actually, used newportwhales.com, there was a groupon for it.

We had a humpback right by the boat and tons of dolphins. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I'd definitely recommend it.

Have fun and take dramamine if you think anyone in your group might get seasick and bring a jacket - it's chilly out there even when warm on land.

Definitely check out the discount sites, I've seen a lot of whale watching for very cheap on Groupon lately (because, as PPs have said, there are very few whales this time of year).

We went last June, on Father's Day actually, used newportwhales.com, there was a groupon for it.

We had a humpback right by the boat and tons of dolphins. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I'd definitely recommend it.

Have fun and take dramamine if you think anyone in your group might get seasick and bring a jacket - it's chilly out there even when warm on land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!