What’s the consensus: tipping the postman

LOL. Our letter carrier yesterday delivered all the mail one house off on my street. ALL 44 houses. So NO tip.

Also, given that Letter Carriers now start at $37,000, that is a pay grade that I don't tip at. Now a card, or cookies, sure

We ship all of our orders via USPS so our carrier backs up to our door every afternoon and picks up dozens of packages. He doeas a great job and we tip him well.

I don’t tip. I personally don’t feel that someone getting a decent salary for performing their job is doing anything special for me that warrants a gratuity. We are in a development with mailboxes on posts at the street. There are different workers all the time. They drive down the street to each house. No extra service performed other than the job they get paid to do.

Nope. I never considered a postal employee to be a tipped position.
I think it’s more of something people do when their mailman goes above and beyond. I only left a Christmas gift for my mailman when he picked up packages from me everyday. Now that I take my packages to the post office myself I don’t leave a gift for the mailman.

No tip here. We have a communal boxes and I rarely see him/her (lately it was been someone different everyday I go check and the mail is not in the boxes yet).
Our delivery is getting later and later. Up to 6 pm now.....might be because no regular person doing it right now.

Well my mom's house is the only place I have visited that still has a mailbox attached to the house. And for her it's basically the same mail person all the time. I know in the past she used to bake cookies for him (her cookies are amazing) and give him a Christmas card but I don't know if she used to do cash or a gift card.

Everywhere else the mail box for houses I visit it's either 4 or so mailboxes clusters or an actual cluster community style mailbox (like mine where there are like 8 or 9 mail boxes clustered for every so many homes). From my own experience we do not have the same mail person everyday not even close. It varies from day to day some times or there is the same person for 2 or 3 days in a row then another one. Then you have the ones delivering on Sunday which isn't the same person as the one who delivered during the week. In other words I wouldn't tip with my situation as there isn't one main mail person. They also will only come to my door if my item is too large to fit in my mail slot or is too large to fit in the mail box specifically for larger items (or it's already been used by someone else's mail).

OP I do think it's nice though of you to even think about what is ok to do and what isn't ok to do for your mail person.

No tip here. We have a communal boxes and I rarely see him/her (lately it was been someone different everyday I go check and the mail is not in the boxes yet).
Our delivery is getting later and later. Up to 6 pm now.....might be because no regular person doing it right now.
Ohh 6pm is late IMO.

My mail gets to me anywhere between 11am and 4pm. If it's during the Holidays where a package may come in a separate mail vehicle from my regular mail the delivery time is all over the place.

Our route got changed in the last month or so. We used to have a lady that was usually in neighborhood around 2pm. Now we are lucky to get mail before dinner time. I haven't seen her in the truck, it's been a couple different guys and not one that used to sub for her.

I wouldn't consider it a tip but I have have given them a Christmas card with a gift card, the ones that I saw regularly and got to know somewhat.

Years ago we'd tip the mail carrier at Christmas, but he retired. Our route doesn't seem to have a regular carrier these days; every time I happen to notice it's someone different.

One of my hobbies is autograph collecting. When I lived at my old place, my mailman would carefully place my envelopes inside my front door, and the rest of my mail in my mailbox. He always earned his holiday tip from me.

At my new place, I've had two postal carriers over the past six years. This current guy seems to watch out for my envelopes now, too, although I no longer have a front storm door on my new house. However, I got home from the office later than usual the other night, around 6:30, and for some reason, the carrier happened to be pulling up on my block to deliver a package to my neighbors next door. As he drove past my house, he leaned out of the truck and yelled, "Hey buddy, you got TWO today!!" There is no reason why, out of his entire route, he would remember how many large envelopes I received on that particular day, being that he didn't know he'd be seeing me later that night. Now that is service! He, too, has earned his tip.

We've had the same mail carrier for almost 20 years. When we moved 10 houses down the street, he kept delivering our mail even if it had the wrong address. He takes the time to put our packages at the side or back door, where they are hidden. He is always going to receive a tip from me. We give him $20, and he provides an official post office thank you card, so I'm thinking cash works for him :D

Maria :upsidedow

We no longer have a regular carrier and the goofs that deliver now have (1) broken my mailbox (2) broken my elderly neighbor's mailbox (3) routinely deliver mail to wrong addresses (4) sit in the middle of our street and block traffic from coming or going. So, no tip for these guys/gals. Our old carrier was awesome, and I still miss her.

I've been giving my carrier a $15 gift card every year for the past few years This year while she was delivering a package to my door she noticed that i had on Disney shirt and I found out that she's a Disney fan. So this year it's a $15 Disney gift card. When she's on vacation I definitely see a drop in service!

We used to have a great carrier, and I'd always give him a gift card for $20 for one of the local sandwich shops. He retired and our service went way downhill for a couple years, so I stopped doing that. This summer a lady that I personally know from my daughter's dance studio became our regular carrier, and our service has improved tremendously since then. She's getting a gift card for lunch next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter