What’s your favorite/least favorite Disney resort(s) and why?

We splurge stayed at GF and was kinda stunned to have it be one of our worst stays. It was during the Dreams promotion and we were upgraded to concierge. Nice room but I didn't get the fridge being locked until it was left unlocked and we were charged a fee. They charged us a parking fee that I had removed because we didn't drive. The cashier in the Gasparilla Grill yelled (seriously loud - I was just coming thru the door & hadn't asked her a thing) at me for arriving 5 minutes before they closed. Minzers was closed the entire stay and we were really looking forward to enjoying it. There was no place to get a drink after 7p which meant we had to go to the Poly - that was kinda the upside - but we've never want to stay since.

Our biggest ding against many WDW venues is the bus transportation. Fort Wilderness is great if you want to go fairly exclusively to the MK other than that the bus service is slow plus shared with other hotels. The Poly being in walking distance to the transportation center is a bit better. Ditto Contemporary and Grand Floridian with monorail access. Key West and Saratogo are good for resort vacations with nice access to the Springs but are completely bus dependent for the parks. The best strategy for bus dependent venues is to take the first bus and then see what you can grab FP-wise from the MDE App. AK is good for AK = nuff said. BW, BC/YC, Dolphin/Swan are the best for Epcot and HWS. Port Orleans has the best bus transpo IMO and CBR has the nicest bar/food/pool area. We're seriously thinking about CBR since the gondola system was added. Never stayed at the values and cannot imagine I'd like them with the bus situation.

We splurge stayed at GF and was kinda stunned to have it be one of our worst stays. It was during the Dreams promotion and we were upgraded to concierge. Nice room but I didn't get the fridge being locked until it was left unlocked and we were charged a fee. They charged us a parking fee that I had removed because we didn't drive. The cashier in the Gasparilla Grill yelled (seriously loud - I was just coming thru the door & hadn't asked her a thing) at me for arriving 5 minutes before they closed. Minzers was closed the entire stay and we were really looking forward to enjoying it. There was no place to get a drink after 7p which meant we had to go to the Poly - that was kinda the upside - but we've never want to stay since.

Our biggest ding against many WDW venues is the bus transportation. Fort Wilderness is great if you want to go fairly exclusively to the MK other than that the bus service is slow plus shared with other hotels. The Poly being in walking distance to the transportation center is a bit better. Ditto Contemporary and Grand Floridian with monorail access. Key West and Saratogo are good for resort vacations with nice access to the Springs but are completely bus dependent for the parks. The best strategy for bus dependent venues is to take the first bus and then see what you can grab FP-wise from the MDE App. AK is good for AK = nuff said. BW, BC/YC, Dolphin/Swan are the best for Epcot and HWS. Port Orleans has the best bus transpo IMO and CBR has the nicest bar/food/pool area. We're seriously thinking about CBR since the gondola system was added. Never stayed at the values and cannot imagine I'd like them with the bus situation.

I agree that the busses can be frustrating. I’ve stayed at the values several times and while it is annoying to have a full bus because the busses are shared, it’s doesn’t extend the length of the ride too much in my opinion

Was always boardwalk or beach/yacht club for us. Now our new go to is Caribbean Beach. The new refurb is awesome as well as it just feels quieter. Least favorite is probably OKW. Very pretty but just way too big for us.
I know some people that love boardwalk/OKW, but then I know some that say they’re outdated. I wouldn’t know myself, though. I haven’t stayed at any of those places yet

My favorites are Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Beach Club, and Port Orleans French Quarter.

My least favorites are All Star Music and Caribbean Beach.

Favorite by level:
Value: Pop
Mod: CBR
Deluxe: Poly
I would have to say home is CBR. Our kids would say Pop. I don't really have a least favorite...just happy to be there. 🌴😁

Heading back in 12 Days!!!

We don’t have a car when we go so I think the bottom of our list was AKL due to the buses and feeling like it took forever to get around. Years ago we used to stay at the all stars and I didn’t mind buses so maybe it’s just after moving to deluxe. Past few years BLT became our favorite as well as anywhere near boardwalk.. my kid also likes the swan.

We always have a car-
we’ve stayed at most moderates, all deluxe and a single budget(one night)
favorites
Beach Club
Boardwalk
AKL(Kidani)

least favorite
Wilderness Lodge

controversial I know but I think it’s because we live in a mountainous area. I think it felt too much like home. Plus I’m in Florida....it seemed dark to us. Just not our style. This was a one and done for us.

honorable mention
Poly
Grand Floridian (with little kids this was our favorite so close to MK)

I have stayed at least one night at all of the properties except Riviera and AoA. Favorite overall by far is Yacht Club because of the location and SAB. Also love the decor there and when they bring out the sailboat decorated Christmas tree, that is my favorite.

My least favorite deluxe properties are Poly and GF, because you have to walk outside from the main building to get to your room. I know for some people that’s not an issue.

Favorite DVC is AKL Jambo, great restaurants and love seeing giraffes and zebra from the balcony. Least is BLT, the decor was just okay and we were in a lower floor with no view, which probably clouded my opinion.

Favorite moderate is Riverside, particularly Alligator Bayou. I really like the decor there and the resort is very peaceful. I also like that there’s a number of quiet pools. I also like that you can take the boat down to Disney springs. Least favorite is CBR, but I haven’t stayed there since all of the remodeling, so might try it again.

Don't really have a favorite or least favorite of the values. Stays there have all been fine. I will admit to a slight preference for Pop, we were still living in Central Florida in 2004 and our power went out for two weeks, so we stayed at Pop. Disney had a really good rate for people who were displaced or lacking electricity. Had a quick one night stay there last year, liked the new beds, hated the new floors.

Our faves in each category
Value- Pop
Mod- POFQ- So unique and the grounds are gorgeous.
Deluxe- WL- love everything about it
DVC- Have to go with OKW for the serenity and sitting at the Gurgling Suitcase till closing then meandering back to Turtle pond area. Such a great walk of life.

Only place we wouldn't stay again AKL - for some reason I just hate that resort and believe it or not I don't like the smell???? Love visiting to see the animals but didn't like either stay there.

They all have their pros and cons. I have stayed at Aoa, CBR, POFQ, POR, WL, SSR, AKL, CR, GF, YC/BC, and Riviera. My favorite is probably GF. I love the MK resort area in general. AKL is stunning but transportation isn't as convenient. I love the skyliner but DH is afraid of heights so it dampens the value there lol. Every Disney resort is a unique experience and I love trying different ones to give our vacation a different flavor.

I have to say that with all the places we have stayed at, they have all been enjoyable in their own way. Only one was nothing special.
We have stayed at:
POFQ- Many times. I would say that this might be considered our "home" resort. (Prior to Fort Wilderness).
Polynesian- Have stayed at the Poly 5 times over the years. Always enjoyed the theming and "Ohana is our favorite on property restaurant.
Tree House Villas- Stayed here once in 1989. Lots of room for three families together but I can't say I remember that much about it.
Old Key West- We stayed here multiple times because my daughter would bring a friend and we needed the space as well as a place to prepare meals.
Contemporary- This was my least favorite but to be fair I was in one of the wings and not the tower.
As it says in my signature, My room at Disney has wheels.
I won't ever stay in a resort room again. We bring our own "home" to Ft. Wilderness. We have our own bed, bath, kitchen, TVs, etc. It's parked on a large site with a picnic table and outdoor grill. I don't get charged extra for parking and we cook most of our meals there only going out to the special restaurants we enjoy. You don't have to leave the campground to enjoy your stay as there's lots to do there. We like the quiet pool. It's a great jumping off point for resort hopping, which is what we like to do. It's nice to come back to your own home after a long day!.

Least favorite was All Star Music, mostly because the most of the other guests seemed to be college students with VERY unDisney-like language, who, it seemed, had been sitting around the college dorms saying "Hey, lets see how many kids we can fit in a hotel room at WDW". Not fun! Even All Star Sports seemed better, but I only stayed at Sports for one night.

Favorites are very close. Love the Poly and Contemporary for the monorail resorts, both have large rooms and have easy transport to 2 parks. Poly has a great theme, but the Contemporary club level I liked a teeny bit more than Poly club level. Beach Club for the Epcot resorts, love the pool and the easy walk to the World showcase. Stormalong bay is my favorite pool.

Least favorite hands down was Grand Floridian. I didn’t like the pools, and I hated the layout of the resort. The theme seems lackluster to me. The only thing going for it was the rooms were great. The people running the Sugarloaf Club when we were there were awful. Dirty dishes everywhere, and they didn’t replenish food quickly at all.

Boardwalk is my favorite, I just love the vibe and being able to walk to Epcot/HS. Poly and Wilderness Lodge are close behind because of themeing. All three of these I feel like I could just hang out at the resorts without going into the parks. And easy access to other resorts for more dining options.

GF is my least favorite just because the vibe isn't my style and it was packed with day guests when we were there (so felt less relaxing... though you can also say this about Poly). I stayed there during Christmas and enjoyed exploring the resort with all of the decorations. I'm glad we had the opportunity to stay there, but I'd pick Poly over GF in a heartbeat. I don't love BLT/Contemporary because I feel like the themeing feels sterile, but it gets balanced out for me with the short walk to MK, MK-view from some of the rooms, and Top of the World lounge (since we're DVC members).

I think the system is working if everyone has different favorites! It makes it easier for us to get our reservations at AKL when we want them!

I love that there's something for everyone! And I do like trying out the different resorts.

Boardwalk Inn: I kept hearing this resort had a great theme, but it felt like every other east coast resort I've ever been to--just no "wow" factor. Maybe more fun if you don't live on the east coast. Hated that you had to go outside onto the boardwalk to eat since we usually travel in the stormy season. Transportation identical to Yacht/Beach club--i.e., a mixed bag. But the worst offense was the creepy clown pool

It's funny because I love Boardwalk and grew up going to the Jersey Shore! I still live on the east coast but actually avoid vacationing in the real Jersey Shore now 🤣.

Stayed in: POR, CR, POP, CSR, SSR, OKW, BWV, BCV, BLT, BRV, CCV, PVB, AKV (Jambo and Kidani) and...

LEAST FAVE= POP as it was busy and loud and room was dumpy (they were renovating but I got old un-renovated room) and it is tacky looking and too sprawled out and can't walk to park or DS and busing is awful so, Blech!

FAVE= BCV and BWV as they have a great location. BWV (which we own DVC at) is closer walk to HS AND we can use less points with booking standard view so that bumps it slightly above BCV. But the resort itself...BCV is above BWV. Just more quaint and quiet. And easier parking. And super quick walk to Epcot's IG. But they removed the jetted tubs from the villas (BWV didn't). So it's a close call. But we are Epcot and Festival people so we LOVE these 2. And love the ability to just walk back at end of day. Not stand in bus/monorail/skyliner/boat lines.

Edit to categorize like @jlnten17 did below (and in order pretty much):

Best= BCV/BWV
Next Best= AKV-Jambo, SSR, CR, Copper Creek Villas
Decent= AKV- Kidani, BLT, Boulder Ridge Villas, PVB (Poly DVC), CSR, POR
Okay because none of the DVC are bad= OKW
Never ever again= POP (won't do any of the values again due to our stay at POP and friends/family reviews of others)

Last edited:
We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, a cabin at Fort Wilderness, and Pop Century. In order favorite to least favorite:
1. Animal Kingdom
2. Port Orleans Riverside
3. Coronado Springs
4. Cabin
5. POP
I will say the walk from the lobby to our room at AKL was loooooonnnnggg. But you can't beat sitting on the balcony and seeing the animals. It was incredible. And the restaurants are amazing. Even the quick serve. Port Orleans was our first trip and I really liked the theming and the grounds. Coronado Springs was okay. The cabins were nice. I liked the room. But we went in September and it was HUMID. Our towels never dried and our sheets always felt damp. POP..just not my thing. The beds were comfortable but I wasn't fond of the pool or the food court.

Favorite - Poly by far
Also love if we want to mix it up- WL, Cabins at Fort Wilderness, Yacht Club if spending time at Epcot and HS
Love but not as much as the others- GF, BLT/CR, BC, BW
Like because there is no bad resort at WDW - OKW, SSR, AKL

In general my favorites are WL and AKL...they were both designed by the same person and are just so beautiful with lots of quiet spaces away from the crowds of the day. I dont think I've ever really disliked any of the resorts I've stayed at and I've stayed at many. If I had to choose lesser ones, I would say BC..the room they assigned me was definitely in disrepair and the theming there I didn't like as much as others...and I'm not a pool person, so that wasn't a draw for me....big plus was walk to EP. I also didn't enjoy the Poly villas. I guess because I had stayed in a regular Poly room and I loved how spacious it was and kind of disappointed how much of that space the extra bath and kitchenette area took up in the villa. If I go more than once a year, I like to stay at a moderate and then a deluxe since I really like the moderates, and, of course, their price savings.

I agree that the busses can be frustrating. I’ve stayed at the values several times and while it is annoying to have a full bus because the busses are shared, it’s doesn’t extend the length of the ride too much in my opinion

The buses never bothered me until we consistently stayed at destination walking venues. It's not like we're ever in a hurry - it's a patience problem. LOL

I don't hate any of them but the Values are the least favorite due to the transportation and how crowded they can be. I haven't stayed at a moderate yet but will be staying at Coronado Springs next year and hope we will like it. Of the deluxes we have stayed at the Contemporary, AKL, Yacht Club, BWV, BCV, Grand Floridian and VWL. One of our favorites is VWL because it is just beautiful and we just love the atmosphere. Our other favorite is BWV. You just can't beat the location and as someone who lived not too far from the shore we love the theme. I honestly wish I could say that the GF is one of our favs but it really isn't. Glad I stayed there once but I don't feel the need to stay there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter