What a difference a year makes! (an introduction and my story)

MommaBerd

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I am not new to the DIS - I mostly like to hang on the News & Rumors board with @rteetz, but I enjoy reading and contributing when I can on lots of other sub-forums. But, I AM new to this community! I have been lurking here for several weeks and finally decided to jump in. I’ve loved reading the reports from this past weekend’s races, and I’m in awe of all of you who finished the marathon and/or completed the Dopey!

A year ago I was overweight, and my body, ankles, knees, and especially feet were all hurting. I admired my friends who were runners, and it seemed like such a fun community! I secretly wanted to walk or run a Disney race, but given how much my feet hurt, I KNEW I would never be a “runner.” I also was not in the best place emotionally/spiritually.

On January 1, 2019, my DH started Noom (not a commercial, but part of our story) and I began making small changes to help support him, and I was learning vicariously through him. I began to lose weight with him but by April I realized I needed to own my journey. I signed up for Noom myself and honestly, my life will not ever be the same. I have forever changed my eating habits, but even more powerful is that I have drastically changed my mental attitude towards food, my body, and my health.

Around the end of March, I began walking, and I walked a LOT. I realized that my body wasn’t hurting like it once did. And my feet didn’t hurt like they once did. And then one day, I decided I felt like running a little bit, and it felt good. My muscles were sore, but I felt good!

I began researching running programs and tried one or two, but ultimately landed on Jeff Galloway’s training plans for the Disney races. I decided I would train for a 10K - not for a race, per se, but just to do it. I was already walking 6 miles easily about once a week. And then, I looked at the half-marathon training plan, and I thought, “I can do this!”

Once I made a half-marathon my goal, I decided I should do a race - as a reward. And what better reward than a Disney race? My sights were on the 2020 F&W half. I asked my SIL if she wanted to run with me. Our families had just gone to WDW together in October and we had so much fun! She said she was IN AND she upped the ante by saying we should run the 10K, too! (She’s an experienced runner.)

But, F&W is all the way in November...what to do in between? I signed up for the Hot Chocolate 15K here in ATL, and my first half will actually be the Savannah Women’s Half in April. Using the run/walk method, I’m currently running about a 12:30 min/mile pace on my long runs (the last one was 10 miles), which I am happy with for now.

So here I am, one year later, 40+ lbs lighter and training for a half-marathon - two things I would not have thought possible a little over a year ago! I look forward to getting to know you all and maybe even meeting one day!

Welcome and congrats on the journey! @roxymama talked about the hot chocolate races which motivated me to sign up and now I’ve done it the last 2 years. Behind Disney, it’s one of my favorites. I’ll also be doing the wine and dine challenge. You should also join in over on the wine and dine thread and maybe we can meet up!!

Welcome and congrats on the journey! @roxymama talked about the hot chocolate races which motivated me to sign up and now I’ve done it the last 2 years. Behind Disney, it’s one of my favorites. I’ll also be doing the wine and dine challenge. You should also join in over on the wine and dine thread and maybe we can meet up!!

I definitely plan to join the thread!!

Hi everyone! I am not new to the DIS - I mostly like to hang on the News & Rumors board with @rteetz, but I enjoy reading and contributing when I can on lots of other sub-forums. But, I AM new to this community! I have been lurking here for several weeks and finally decided to jump in. I’ve loved reading the reports from this past weekend’s races, and I’m in awe of all of you who finished the marathon and/or completed the Dopey!

A year ago I was overweight, and my body, ankles, knees, and especially feet were all hurting. I admired my friends who were runners, and it seemed like such a fun community! I secretly wanted to walk or run a Disney race, but given how much my feet hurt, I KNEW I would never be a “runner.” I also was not in the best place emotionally/spiritually.

On January 1, 2019, my DH started Noom (not a commercial, but part of our story) and I began making small changes to help support him, and I was learning vicariously through him. I began to lose weight with him but by April I realized I needed to own my journey. I signed up for Noom myself and honestly, my life will not ever be the same. I have forever changed my eating habits, but even more powerful is that I have drastically changed my mental attitude towards food, my body, and my health.

Around the end of March, I began walking, and I walked a LOT. I realized that my body wasn’t hurting like it once did. And my feet didn’t hurt like they once did. And then one day, I decided I felt like running a little bit, and it felt good. My muscles were sore, but I felt good!

I began researching running programs and tried one or two, but ultimately landed on Jeff Galloway’s training plans for the Disney races. I decided I would train for a 10K - not for a race, per se, but just to do it. I was already walking 6 miles easily about once a week. And then, I looked at the half-marathon training plan, and I thought, “I can do this!”

Once I made a half-marathon my goal, I decided I should do a race - as a reward. And what better reward than a Disney race? My sights were on the 2020 F&W half. I asked my SIL if she wanted to run with me. Our families had just gone to WDW together in October and we had so much fun! She said she was IN AND she upped the ante by saying we should run the 10K, too! (She’s an experienced runner.)

But, F&W is all the way in November...what to do in between? I signed up for the Hot Chocolate 15K here in ATL, and my first half will actually be the Savannah Women’s Half in April. Using the run/walk method, I’m currently running about a 12:30 min/mile pace on my long runs (the last one was 10 miles), which I am happy with for now.

So here I am, one year later, 40+ lbs lighter and training for a half-marathon - two things I would not have thought possible a little over a year ago! I look forward to getting to know you all and maybe even meeting one day!

Yay!!! Congrats on the weight loss and the fitness accomplishments!!! Best of luck on your half in April!

Amazing. And inspiring!

Welcome to the most inclusive and supportive part of DISBoards! Awesome job dropping the weight and starting running!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!