What adult purchase really shocked you once you saw the price tag?

Ill have to check it out later when I have time to read the whole thing. Thanks.
My son turns 25 next month, has a wife and a little baby now and staying at home during his college years allowed him to save his money. They bought a house, and besides that house payment are debt free, so I think that post will be an interesting read. Although to turn this back onto the original topic of this thread I will say my son's biggest sticker shock was the initial cost of having a baby...LOL When they went to the doctor when they were firct expecting he got a detailed explanation of what they would be charged throughout the pregnancy/birth. Iremember him calling me and telling me what it would be and I basically told him "welcome to parenthood. You are now commited for the next 18 years."
That’s excellent that they were able to get into a house right away and are debt free besides the mortgage. Sounds like they are in a good place and getting a jump on things with a lot of boxes checked. Nice job! They will figure it all out.

My car - every month I see that money leave me account, I cringe. However, I *love* my car so I get over it.

Also, painting my house and replacing the front door. Painting is $5000 for labor only - still have to pay for the paint. My front door is going to be around $1500 and that was for the "cheaper" one. The one I really loved was twice as much. :/
I’m on the list to get my house painted, $8000.

Hopefully they were paying for their own stuff like groceries, utilities, car insurance, cell phones and more before they got married!
I know young couples who have been married for a few years who are still not paying for all of those items. Their parents pay their student loans, car insurance, cell phone, etc.

This reminds me of a thread we had here a couple of weeks ago. Trying to remember what it was called. It got a little controversial (naturally!) with varying opinions on such things.

Found it
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...dren-are-living-at-your-parents-home.3812265/

Yes, my friends are often shocked and horrified when I say that my oldest (21) pays for all of her own bills and has since she was a teenager. Then they'll mention a bunch of different items saying, "well you must pay for x, y, or z." Nope. She did not get her license or a car until she had a job and could afford to cover the expenses. She even pays her own medical bills including co-pays, prescriptions, etc.

I don't judge other's decisions to pay for things for their kids. We are not unwilling to ever help out or pay for things, but we think it's an important learning experience. She's not great with money, so having bills that she has to budget and pay for keeps her unnecessary spending down. We did pay for her vehicle, but she paid us back in a monthly amount just like a car payment (but without interest).

Appliances. Windows and other home improvement items. These things get in the way of my budget for travels! There is nothing like saying, "Oh, we can go to Europe next year. We need to pay for new windows or remodeling the bathrooms" in an enthusiastic manner. I do love these things, but I love traveling just a bit more.

Original artwork.
I understand it intellectually, because original paintings take a ton of time and talent, and artists aren't paid nearly frequently enough for their work.
But phew - even paintings by local artists are so pricey!

We were on our honeymoon, and saw a really lovely painting that we both liked. We asked the emplyee what it cost. He said "twenty two seventy five"
I said "OK, thanks, we'll have to think about it."
DH was ready to buy it that instant.

We left the store and I had to explain to DH that he meant $2,275 and not $22.75!

Original artwork.
I understand it intellectually, because original paintings take a ton of time and talent, and artists aren't paid nearly frequently enough for their work.
But phew - even paintings by local artists are so pricey!

We were on our honeymoon, and saw a really lovely painting that we both liked. We asked the emplyee what it cost. He said "twenty two seventy five"
I said "OK, thanks, we'll have to think about it."
DH was ready to buy it that instant.

We left the store and I had to explain to DH that he meant $2,275 and not $22.75!
We saw beautiful art on our honeymoon and DH wanted to buy it for about $2k. I thought about the shipping to get it home and the cost and not even having a place in mind for it and said no. But all these years later, I still think about that art and wish we had bought it as a beautiful reminder of our honeymoon...

Baby formula. I was unable to nurse my daughter and she was recommended a 22 calorie per ounce formula that was not only hard to find but also expensive.

I wasn't shocked by the other costs yet that's the one that got me. Or maybe it was just because I was thoroughly exhausted from being pregnant.

Baby formula. I was unable to nurse my daughter and she was recommended a 22 calorie per ounce formula that was not only hard to find but also expensive.

I wasn't shocked by the other costs yet that's the one that got me. Or maybe it was just because I was thoroughly exhausted from being pregnant.
I will be forever grateful for my son's pediatrician loading me up with formula samples. When we were between appointments, I paid over $20 for a small canister. That was almost 10 years ago. I can't even imagine how much it is costing now.

I had two of my three children get married in 2019 and it's amazing to see the shock on their faces when they had to start paying for their own things. It's funny how quickly they didn't need all those things they would ask us for when I would be doing the grocery shopping. They realized all those "extras" weren't so cheap and definitely not necessary when they were paying for them on their own. Add to that the regular bills like utilities, car insurance, cell phone bills, etc and they had a rude awakening.
This was far younger than marriage age, but I still remember my daughter "needed" a leather jacket when we were in a store. Mom says, "You have birthday money and Christmas money, if you want it, go ahead and buy it." She carried it around for about 2 minutes and, "Nah, I don't need this right now..."

Was 24 years ago when DH and I started out. So I dont recall. Started out renting so I was probably shocked by car insurance. Also started out with a baby shortly after we were married...so cost of diapers and formula shocked me. Rent seemed shocking at $600/mo for a 2BR. Now DS is renting a 1BR for $1000. That shocked me as a 47 year old.

My kids now are all 20s and adulting. Very recently DD-21 was quite taken aback when I mentioned total monthly cost of our cellphone bill for the 5 of us. Hoping to drop down to just 2 in the very near future.

I can just imagine what an epidural costs.

Look, I know that Canada's medical costs are built into the tax structure, but it is really nice to go to a hospital, swipe a card, and not have to worry about paying $30 for "Nurse checks you in".
:thanks: Universal health care is the farthest thing from free and it irks the heck out of me when people (especially other Canadians) refer to it that way. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!