"What am I even doing with my life?" Comments Welcome!

As an update, the half did not go nearly as well. It was a cluster from the beginning. While in the corrals, I was commenting that my stomach was hurting. I was hoping it was just nerves for my first half. I ran with my cousin.

The first 10k was fine. I was sore from the race the day before and my stomach felt off, but I was trucking along.

At the 15k, we were just under a 15 min/mile pace including a bathroom break and short stops for pics in MK. Things were going as planned (to take this race really easy).

But then things went bad. Shortly after the 15k, my stomach went bonkers. I told my cousin to go on without me. I stopped at a bathroom. Let’s just say I was having some major GI issues.

after the stop, my body just kind of shut down. My hips and legs got really tight and I walked a majority of the last 5k. If my cousin had stayed with me, I probably would have done some more running, but I was just so beat at this point.

The GI issues I couldn’t really control, but I think I underestimated how hard I ran the 10k and how much it would affect my half. My quads and calves still hurt lol.

I’m happy I finished though and I did well through the 15k. Under more ideal circumstances (no 10k PR the day before or GI issues), I think I could have done great. Now I just need to choose a non challenge half marathon!

I hope you're feeling better! The challenges intimidate me. I know I can run a half marathon, but I've never done well with back to back runs.

Thanks!

I actually went to an urgent Care yesterday and tested positive for the flu. I feel pretty awful, but I've just been hibernating and trying to rest.

I agree about the challenges. The challenge was a bit tougher than I thought. I do plan on doing more in the future, but I'll need to do better about balancing them (in terms of pace) going forward.

Thanks!

I actually went to an urgent Care yesterday and tested positive for the flu. I feel pretty awful, but I've just been hibernating and trying to rest.

I agree about the challenges. The challenge was a bit tougher than I thought. I do plan on doing more in the future, but I'll need to do better about balancing them (in terms of pace) going forward.

Oh, wow! That's rough. Keep hibernating!

Fever - gone
Body Aches/Pains - minimal
Loss of Fitness? YUP.

@DopeyBadger - I have my next race in just about 15 weeks (June 21st). It's only a 10k. However, I was thinking of just using reusing the Princess Challenge Plan as my training plan for it. It starts pretty slow, I stuck to it pretty well, and I really liked it. The Princess Plan was 15 weeks long so it seems kind of perfect timing wise. However, the goal for that was obviously the 10k and Half back to back versus just a 10k. Is it a bad idea to use a Challenge training plan for "just" a 10k? I figure I would rather maintain a higher level of fitness (distance) versus a lower level, but don't want to train in a "bad" way either. I don't want to bother you for a training plan if I have a perfectly workable one already tailored to me at my disposal. I would then come back to you after my next race to talk about Marathon Weekend (5k, 10k, Half) if you had the time to work with me. What are your thoughts on moving forward in that way?

It's doable. I'd say the reasons you wouldn't are-

1) Did your fitness improve and thus justify the need for faster training paces?
2) The training plan is more geared towards the HM and thus you might want to tweak the M/HM Tempo days to something more 10km focused.
3) Making little to no changes from what you just did tends to cause a lesser adaptation then changing the training.

I’m not going to lie. I haven’t ran since Princess. With recovering from the flu and then all of this COVID stuff, I’ve just been stressed, anxious, and unmotivated.

I’m going to try and get out there this weekend for a short run.

I’m not going to lie. I haven’t ran since Princess. With recovering from the flu and then all of this COVID stuff, I’ve just been stressed, anxious, and unmotivated.

I’m going to try and get out there this weekend for a short run.

This........has remained true. Aside from a couple runs the past couple months, running has been non existent. I did get three runs in this past week and intend on continuing. There's a definite loss of fitness, but excited to get back in it.

Obviously, all my races have been canceled, so I'll have to do my best to stay motivated. My running friend group did decide to do "virtual" unofficial races between us (running in our respective neighborhoods) - just small things to keep us motivated. I'm supposed to run a 5k within the next couple days for this first one. We decided to do it in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Seneca Women's Rights Convention. We even ordered shirts and water bottles as swag!

513410 513411

I hope you're all well!!!

Wow! I can't believe it's been over a year since I have posted here.

I have still been running. Admittedly, it's been much more sporadic over the last year, with a definite uptick the past couple months. Mostly, I've just been running 2-3 miles 2-3 times a week with no firm plans. I didn't register for any races because I was COVID nervous and wanted to wait until I was vaccinated. I'm now vaccinated and plans have been forming.

First....I started to attempt continuous running.Yikes! I am not great at it. I'm up to 25 minutes continuous. I used C25k to do it, but I'm really frustrated with the low mileage. I know I need to build to continuous running, though.

In other news.................I am planning on running the Disney 2023 Marathon. AHHHHHHH. That feels like forever away, but I'm excited and nervous. It's definitely enough time to train. The plan currently is to do a quick 10k plan, then a half plan for the Chicago Spring Half, and then figure out what to do about the Marathon. I also might do a fall half somewhere in there.

I just don't know what exact training plans I'll be using. My main struggle is deciding whether I should switch to continuous running or just stick with run/walk. I'm concerned I'm not far along with continuous running to be able to do a half, let alone a marathon.

If I stick with run/walk, I might just recycle/modify some old plans that @DopeyBadger gave me. I would love a newer one, but I feel terrible asking after all these months away. I may try to reach out at some point, but @DopeyBadger do NOT hesitate to say no. I would completely understand.

Lastly, I think I am going to bite the bullet soon and get a Garmin watch. My apple watch is just not doing it for me anymore.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

My main struggle is deciding whether I should switch to continuous running or just stick with run/walk. I'm concerned I'm not far along with continuous running to be able to do a half, let alone a marathon.

Why not both? Sometimes run/walk, sometimes continuous. As long as you're being appropriate with current pacing, then it's not unreasonable to mix both styles together in a hybrid plan.

If I stick with run/walk, I might just recycle/modify some old plans that @DopeyBadger gave me. I would love a newer one, but I feel terrible asking after all these months away. I may try to reach out at some point, but @DopeyBadger do NOT hesitate to say no. I would completely understand.

Don't feel terrible. If you're willing to do the work, then I'm willing to find the time to help.

Welcome back!

Why not both? Sometimes run/walk, sometimes continuous. As long as you're being appropriate with current pacing, then it's not unreasonable to mix both styles together in a hybrid plan.

Don't feel terrible. If you're willing to do the work, then I'm willing to find the time to help.
I am DEFINITELY ready to do the work. I really appreciate it! I'm so excited to finally train for a marathon. I feel like I've been putting it off because of nerves for too long. (And all my friends are always super impressed with your plans when they ask what I'm doing)

I plan on finishing my current plan over the next two weeks and running a MM soon.

The half I'm interested in isn't until May 22. I don't have any other races until then. What would you suggest between ~oct 15 and then? A... Very long half plan? Do something for a “mock” 10k to bridge to a half? Unsure how to handle the time between when I would need to start training for a half and now.

The half I'm interested in isn't until May 22. I don't have any other races until then. What would you suggest between ~oct 15 and then? A... Very long half plan? Do something for a “mock” 10k to bridge to a half? Unsure how to handle the time between when I would need to start training for a half and now.

That's 31ish weeks. So definitely two separate plans. The first would likely just be more getting back in the groove and then the second would be focusing on the HM itself. Is the May 22nd HM a good choice for a race? The weather historically good in that location at that time of day and course profile fit your goals for the race itself?

That's 31ish weeks. So definitely two separate plans. The first would likely just be more getting back in the groove and then the second would be focusing on the HM itself. Is the May 22nd HM a good choice for a race? The weather historically good in that location at that time of day and course profile fit your goals for the race itself?

So, I'm not super tied to any particular race currently. I live just outside of Chicago, which has had a lot of COVID restrictions. A lot of races still haven't been announced or have moved to virtual runs. I'm also looking at the Shamrock Shuffle, which is an 8k, that occurs in March, but no information is out on it yet. I was looking at a half to kind of "prepare" me for a Marathon plan, but if you think that a different distance would be better in early 2022, I'm all ears. My ultimate goal is to be able to complete the Marathon and I'm kind of using these other races as "checks" and building blocks to that ultimate goal. (For example, I'm eyeing the Detroit Half in October 2022 leading up to Disney 2023, as well - unsure if the timing would be disruptive, but it's super early to think about that)

With respect to the weather, I think the average high in Chicago is around 72 during that time period. Of course, last year it was a lot warmer. The race starts at 7 am, so it shouldn't, theoretically, be too bad. The course map isn't out yet, but you've ran the Chicago Marathon, right? It's a similar, but much shorter path - relatively flat, all things considered. I don't think I would run it for speed so much as the knowledge that I can finish a half and not feel terrible after. The only other half I ran was Princess and I honestly felt so sick after it. With that said, I was having some gastro issues and PRd a 10k (thank to you!!!!) the day before, so it's not really a great comparison.

I love the idea of a hybrid plan. Continuous running still has me SO in my head and my HR definitely jumps once I hit the 1 mile mark. I would love to be a continuous runner one day, but I'm also not sure if trying to do it *now* is the best time. What would a hybrid plan look like? Running continuous some days and run/walk others? What would be the goal for race day?

As a running update, I ran 25 minutes yesterday as part of Week 7 of C25k. It was 1.8 miles at a 13:56 pace. Average HR was 172, which is higher than I would have liked. But, like I mention, it spiked at the 1 mile mark.

With respect to the weather, I think the average high in Chicago is around 72 during that time period. Of course, last year it was a lot warmer. The race starts at 7 am, so it shouldn't, theoretically, be too bad. The course map isn't out yet, but you've ran the Chicago Marathon, right? It's a similar, but much shorter path - relatively flat, all things considered. I don't think I would run it for speed so much as the knowledge that I can finish a half and not feel terrible after. The only other half I ran was Princess and I honestly felt so sick after it. With that said, I was having some gastro issues and PRd a 10k (thank to you!!!!) the day before, so it's not really a great comparison.

Use weather underground and you can find historical weather data for time of day and locations. If the goal is to finish a half and not feel terrible, then you're still probably going to want to look for something with cooler weather. It just makes the whole experience easier. I'd look for something that consistently stays in the 50s or less the entire time you're predicted to be racing.

I love the idea of a hybrid plan. Continuous running still has me SO in my head and my HR definitely jumps once I hit the 1 mile mark. I would love to be a continuous runner one day, but I'm also not sure if trying to do it *now* is the best time. What would a hybrid plan look like? Running continuous some days and run/walk others? What would be the goal for race day?

Run continuous some days, and run/walk others. It would likely incorporate a slow build up in continuous running. Too early to say what we would do on a race day.

As a running update, I ran 25 minutes yesterday as part of Week 7 of C25k. It was 1.8 miles at a 13:56 pace. Average HR was 172, which is higher than I would have liked. But, like I mention, it spiked at the 1 mile mark.

Using the same watch you are using now, what was your average HR for the races you've done?

When you say spike, what does the graph look like?

Use weather underground and you can find historical weather data for time of day and locations. If the goal is to finish a half and not feel terrible, then you're still probably going to want to look for something with cooler weather. It just makes the whole experience easier. I'd look for something that consistently stays in the 50s or less the entire time you're predicted to be racing.

Got it. I'll take a look. I see an option in March and April in nearby areas I can look into.
Run continuous some days, and run/walk others. It would likely incorporate a slow build up in continuous running. Too early to say what we would do on a race day.
That makes sense. This sounds like the direction I would want to go in.

Using the same watch you are using now, what was your average HR for the races you've done?

When you say spike, what does the graph look like?
I haven't ran a race since Princess 2020:

Feb 22, 2020 -10k - 181 average HR with a 12:32 average pace (PR)
Feb 23, 2020 - Half - 164 average HR with a 15:49 pace

Before that:

November 3, 2019 - 15k - 183 average with a 14:03 pace
July 21, 2019 - 10k - 177 average with a 13:51 pace
April 6, 2019 - 10k - 181 average with a 13:45 pace (first timed race ever)

And maybe it wasn't as dramatic as I thought because my pace wasn't exactly even:
610413 610414

And maybe it wasn't as dramatic as I thought because my pace wasn't exactly even:

Yea, it sure seems fairly normal to me. There's some expectation to see HR rise at the beginning of the run, and then it's expected to see your HR rise if you increase the pace. So not terribly unusual.

I haven't ran a race since Princess 2020:

Feb 22, 2020 -10k - 181 average HR with a 12:32 average pace (PR)
Feb 23, 2020 - Half - 164 average HR with a 15:49 pace

Before that:

November 3, 2019 - 15k - 183 average with a 14:03 pace
July 21, 2019 - 10k - 177 average with a 13:51 pace
April 6, 2019 - 10k - 181 average with a 13:45 pace (first timed race ever)

I'd take a stab on a limited data set and say you're max HR is probably around 193 bpm. So this would tell me:

Easy = 135-150
Long Run = 150-160
Marathon = 169
HM = 174
10k = 183

So an average HR of 172 on your run is likely too high compared to your race PRs unless the intent of the run was M-HM level pacing. You're likely to need to slow way down in pace. We'll have a better idea based on your MM in a couple weeks though to see how that aligns with this. But if we assume 13:56 pace is around 30k pace (between HM and M), then a pace structure like:

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.40.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.40.42 AM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter