What are the benefits of buying DVC at Aulani resale vs. Direct

JoshF

Mouseketeer
Are there any good benefits of buying Aulani direct vs. resale? It seems you can get resale for around half the price of direct from Disney. What tangible benefits do you get if talking specifically to going to Aulani and not other locations.

Resale owners are not eligible for ABD and Disney Cruise Line exchanges, park ticket discounts if you travel to DL or WDW, and I believe no merchandise or dining discounts either. Disney also reserves the right to change direct vs resale perks at any time. I remember a few years back, they did away with AP discounts for DVC resale owners which was a big hit for many. Not an issue if you own at Aulani and don't intend to use it at WDW or DL, but there's no telling what they could change in the future that may impact the DVC resorts not near parks.

At Aulani, any DVC owner staying on points receives free self parking and free laundry tokens if staying in a studio. Its worth noting that for the parking, you'd have to be using your points to get it for free - if you ever stayed paying cash for some reason, your DVC member card wouldn't be sufficient. As an owner, you'd also have first dibs at Aulani DVC room inventory at 11 months in advance, since it would be your home resort. I believe these perks apply to all owners. There are also DVC discounts on cabanas and beach rentals, but I *think* its only for direct owners - hopefully someone else can confirm.

I'm sure there's other things to consider that folks will chime in with. You also would get more responses on the DVC forums. Resale is notoriously cheaper than buying direct, but I know many have found this to be a turbulent time for DVC and people are not happy with them. I think resale contracts are also at the highest prices they have been in a while. Much like the housing market, prices ebb and flow. Its a seller's market for sure.

Last edited:
We are recent resale SSR owners ("white card") and we were at Aulani in Feb 2020 before the world went nuts. Here are the things I noticed being a resale owner, and it was our first DVC trip as resale owners:

1. Staying on points, you get free parking and free laundry tokens (if you need them).
2. Your reservation will say "DVC member" which means that every time you go to pay or do something, the CM will ask you for your membership card. When they see that you are a "white card" some CM are confused. They are honestly trying to give you whatever discounts apply, but they effect to me was annoying, so I would just say: "we're resale" and then the CM would move on.
3. Aulani offers some DVC member only events like tastings at certain of the restaurants and DVC tours. We didn't try to attend these events so I am not sure if they are direct only or direct Aulani only. They seemed to be temporary type events that would change periodically.
4. We took part in community room activities without an issue as resale members.
5. We enjoyed our rooms just like everyone else - and on SSR resale, even better!!
6. Oh! Direct DVC owners get a sparkly arm band in the pools. We got regular old non-sparkly ones, shucks.

Overall, other than the general annoyance of being asked for our membership card repeatedly- once I got that figured out and headed it off, life was awesome in Aulani. Now thinking to go back in 2021 vs. going to WDW!!

If you are value buyer, there is NOTHING worth thousands of dollars worth that you are missing if you go resale over direct. Good luck!

Last edited:
6. Oh! Direct DVC owners get a sparkly arm band in the pools. We got regular old non-sparkly ones, shucks.
We are not DVC members, but stayed on rented points from a DVC member. I have no idea if she was a direct or resale owner, but we did get the sparkly arm bands that said "DVC" on them so perhaps a direct owner then. I also think our reservation said DVC on it because there were a few times we were asked if we had a membership card and we had to say no. So I would also add that people staying on rented points can take advantage of some of the perks as well (free parking, laundry tokens), but the member card is needed for any actual discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter