What are the little things you love about taking trips to Disney?

fabledtongues

Keep Moving Forward
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post on, but I figure it was the closest as it still pertains to Disney trips!

So, we all have those things that everyone loves doing. Riding rides, eating at delicious restaurants, visiting places you've never been before, staying on property... you know, all the main things that make a Disney vacation, a vacation!

But what I'm really thinking about today is the little, specific things I love about Disney vacations that make them so special to me. It's easy to get caught up in the rides, the crowds, the food, the shows, parades and fireworks. But I want to focus on the little things! I'm going to make a list of the things that are special to me, and feel free to add any that are special to you!

• Getting up extremely early on travel day, brimming with excitement as you grab your luggage and head out the door to the airport! It's still dark out and the world sleeps while you're about to have the best trip ever is another kind of feeling.
  • The first "ride" of the trip, the train at MCO to the main terminal.
  • Taking that first step onto the Magical Express and knowing you're home.
  • Settling down in your hotel room, unpacking, and turning on the tv to that amazing Disney info channel.
  • Climbing into that soft, plushy bed, snuggling up and watching some more Disney tv before you fall asleep at night, especially after a long day in the parks.
  • Waking up before dawn, taking a walk around your resort with barely any other people out and about. The best.
  • Honestly, just waking up in your room on the first day, with so much excitement, hearing people walking around outside, is just another kind of feeling for me.
  • The snacks! I love snacks.
  • There's something special to me about getting a meal at your resort. Just relaxing at a table outside, watching everyone come back from a day at the parks, or before you start your day. I always try and grab at least 2 meals of my trip at my resort.
  • Coming back from a long day at a park, grabbing my refillable mug, and going down to the pool with a full mug of coke is just... bliss lol
  • Alternatively, sitting at the pool bar grabbing drinks, talking with the people around you is amazing too.
  • Grabbing a cupcake or something from the bakery section and going back to my room and eating it while watching Disney tv. So good.
  • After a long day at the park, there's something I love about the walk back to your resort's bus stop, and sitting on the ground while you wait for your bus. I don't know why, I just love it. Gives me a minute to process my day and take a little rest. Also, the bus back to the resort at night is just wonderful as well.
  • The smell of the evening air.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I have more! But looking at all these, I noticed most of these revolve around the resort and morning and night lol. I guess I just like the relaxing vibe of my resort after a crazy day at the parks!

I will never forget the first trip I had to WDW, my daughter was just turning 4. One of our first character meets was with Mary Poppins. While standing in line waiting our turn she leans in to say to my husband and I, “I guess Mary Poppins IS real!” She had this expression on her face that was just pure magic....that did it for me and what I keep going back for. That and we love planning what snacks we’ll have and then the satisfaction of finally getting to have them.

I love getting the packet in the mail with the magic bands, taking the magical express, always having our first dinner at DS.

Oh yes, that's the beginning of the beginning! When the real excitement starts and you know it's real.

I love going back to the parks in the evening after a nice afternoon break. Feeling refreshed makes the night even more exciting.

This is very nice too. Having a nice relax in the middle part of the day then going back out into the thick of it.

Throwing 16 cards at every cashier and begging for discounts.
Buying resort-themed Christmas ornaments.
Boats to MK.
Getting the whole family back together for a couple days.
S’mores at the fireside.
Hidden Mickeys.

Lunch with an Imagineer.
Grand Floridian for a Christmas look at their ginger bread house and listening to the lobby orchestra playing carols. Then, we like walking around and looking at all the holiday decorations. Finally, we end our time there watching the MK fireworks from their dock.
Live street entertainment in the parks. I'm afraid this may never come back like it was in the past. Disney was cutting back even before the virus hit.

Last edited:

As much as I enjoy being in the parks, the rides, shows and food I really enjoy the planning. Although it may not be considered little things I do enjoy doing the search on what DVC resort I'm going to stay at, arranging for grocery delivery, booking my airfare, purchasing my tickets and making reservations for restaurants and rides/shows.

Always knowing exactly where I am and how to get where I'm going.
Knowing that there are bathrooms everywhere and you'll never be stuck without one.

Our other trips are to Europe and those two things are what I miss when on those non-Disney trips. I've gotten super dehydrated because I didn't want to drink too much when I didn't know where the next bathroom would be.

Walking past the Disney store in MCO as I head to the Fakeorail and Magical Express, knowing I will soon be at WDW
The thump of the door closing behind me, feeling that anticipation as I head out to the park
The buzz of energy in the crowd before rope drop
Sitting in the resort hot tub enjoying the Disney ambience and watching the people
The first burst of fireworks
Walking into the queue at Haunted Mansion and reading the tombstones for the 900th time.
Walking out of the Haunted Mansion and reading the mausoleum wall
Every new-to-me plant in Living with the Land

Sigh. I wish I was at WDW right now.

Getting up before dawn and going for a run on resort property before the sun comes up. Yeah, I know, weird, you are on vacation and supposed to be sleeping in. Try it - it is amazing seeing the resort before anyone else is up and about - so peaceful.

Getting up before dawn and going for a run on resort property before the sun comes up. Yeah, I know, weird, you are on vacation and supposed to be sleeping in. Try it - it is amazing seeing the resort before anyone else is up and about - so peaceful.

I definitely don't run lol. But I do like getting up early to walk around the resort before other people get up. It's just a nice peaceful way to spend your morning before the chaos.

Hearing the sound of the train thundering and whistling into the Main Street USA station at MK... Also love hearing the whistle sound from across the lagoon while staying at the Poly. Those sounds sound like vacation to me! That's how I know I'm "home!"

Going for a swim in my Disney Resort quiet leisure pool to watch the sun come up and hear the birds start to sing knowing it’s 10 degrees and snowing back home, then still making it to the bus on time for rope drop.

The Trolley Show. I tear up every time I see it. We always start our trip rope dropping MK. I know we are about to make some happy memories!

That first morning when jet lag has me waking up at silly o'clock and walking down really early for breakfast when very few people are around.
The walk between DHS and Epcot.
The boat ride over to Wilderness Lodge.
Knowing I have somewhere nice to go every evening, something I never ever do at home.
Eating out, again, something I can never ever do at home. We only have a McDonalds and a Wetherspoons open in the evening here, and my fellow Brits know that those are not great places to go out for an evening meal.

The smells and the music. Hearing the train as you walk onto Main Street USA. The smell of the water on Pirates and Splash Mountain. The smell of the monorail. The sound of the train and boat whistles outside the Magic Kingdom. Smelling Rome "burning" on Spaceship Earth. So many smells that take me back and make me feel like I'm "home!"

For me it’s beautiful flowers and landscaping at the resort and the smell of the resort lobby when we first arrive...and getting our box from Owners Locker

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter