What are your "consolation prize" trips?

mouschievous

DIS Veteran
I booked an Oregon coast beach house for Thanksgiving last night. It's nice to have something to look forward to since our September DLR trip is canceled.

Anyone else planning a consolation prize trip?

Yep. Haha, consolation prize sounds so sad. But here's what was cancelled and what was booked for us:

Cancelled Trips
April -- Hawaii
June -- Disneyland
June -- Tokyo Disneyland (among other things in Japan, hah)
July -- Rescheduled June Disneyland trip for reopening
August -- Rescheduled July Disneyland trip for reopening

October -- Disneyland/Halloweentime
November -- Disneyland/Thanksgiving
November -- Rescheduled Hawaii (it'll be open, but cannot justify 5hr flight without vaccine/treatments, so I just paid for it and gave it to my brother and his wife)
February -- Hawaii/Aulani (it'll be open, but for planning purposes I just cancelled and banked points)

Consolation Prize Trips
July -- Camping/glamping Mendocino coast
August -- Renting a beach house in SD + spending time in OC

It was a lost year. It hurts because kiddo isn't getting any younger. Gotta make up for these memories not made when 2021 rolls around!

I bought a really comfy sofa set for the house. It's not a trip but cost as much as my usual vacation jaunts😅

I've had fun doing small changes to the house. I have a vacation from work coming up (my first since March) and I look forward to sleeping in and reading.

What we were able to do:
Went to DLR in Jan and Feb and a beach trip back east in July.

We lost:
March, Spring Break to Washington, DC
April, Break DLR
May, DLR for anniversary
June, rescheduled Dapper Day, DLR
July, rescheduled April (rescheduled twice)
July, DLR tag onto a meeting in Long Beach
September, Labor Day, DLR
December, New Orleans tag onto a meeting
October, DLR, uncertainty lead us to cancel in lieu of WDW

We've booked WDW for October and DLR for December..not bad consolations...

Mike

We lost our ten year anniversary trip to Hawaii. It was supposed to be last week. We kept our time off and took our trailer from Washington to California via I5, the up to Crater Lake, through Bend to Maryhill State Park and then home. Lots of wine and beer tasting and family time. We've camped almost every weekend this summer in lieu of other travel so that has been nice.

We lost our ten year anniversary trip to Hawaii. It was supposed to be last week. We kept our time off and took our trailer from Washington to California via I5, the up to Crater Lake, through Bend to Maryhill State Park and then home. Lots of wine and beer tasting and family time. We've camped almost every weekend this summer in lieu of other travel so that has been nice.

That sounds like a lovely trip! Our favorite winery is right on 97 in Culver (between Madras and Redmond) - Maragas Winery. I grew up spending most weekends and many school breaks in the Bend/LaPine area. My parents just sold the family cabin a couple years ago.

None :( my in laws are basically in the worst risk categories and we see them almost every day so we have been super duper conservative. Our “lost” trips were to WDW, Jackson Hole, and Hilton Head.

We lost our annual Disneyland summer trip and a trip to Washington, D.C. (would have been our first time there). And like everyone else, other cancelled events like concerts, Disney on Ice, etc.

I bought new living room furniture (must be a trend lol!) which was pretty exciting. It was my first time buying brand new furniture, I’m always more the thrift store type.

We also got paddle boards and kayaks to take advantage of the outdoors (were in CO near a big lake) so we spent most of the summer on the water. We did a staycation at a cabin nearby so that was fun. It’s not Disney but we did okay salvaging the summer.

None :( my in laws are basically in the worst risk categories and we see them almost every day so we have been super duper conservative. Our “lost” trips were to WDW, Jackson Hole, and Hilton Head.
I tried to cry react to your post 😢 We are fortunate that, while my parents are high risk (70+, Dad has heart and lung conditions), they have allowed us to remain in their bubble. That's who we're going to the beach with. Silverwood is still a year out, but we'll quarantine afterward if we need to.

We also got paddle boards and kayaks to take advantage of the outdoors (were in CO near a big lake) so we spent most of the summer on the water. We did a staycation at a cabin nearby so that was fun. It’s not Disney but we did okay salvaging the summer.
We've had kayaks for several years now - we love them!! In fact, I'm going for a paddle with my bestie tomorrow. This year, we explored several lakes near us that we'd not paddled before. We were going to do a paddle-in camping trip, but all the spots were first come, first served and we were afraid there wouldn't be any left.

Lost: Daughter's spring break trip to NYC, spring DL trip, summer Europe trip including family Eastern Europe river cruise, beach stay & 3 dds' Taylor Swift concert in LA, and Hawaii. Probably losing DL rescheduled trip for the end of this month. Don't know yet about annual sister DL trip in Dec. It was supposed to have been a huge, special travel year. Well, here's hoping we get to do some of it next year.

Consolation trips: none. I visited my sister in Crescent City and that was fun but I don't consider it a consolation since I would have done it anyway.

My main consolation is that we're all healthy and not financially impacted by the virus. I also have a comfortable place to be and my family around.

We are still holding out for DL for our trip. Actually considering a WDW trip at this point. It’s been difficult because my job isn’t allowing us to use our vacation time. So if I take any days off they will be unpaid. I have 325 vacation hours but cannot use them. It stinks. Holding out hope for DL and if that doesn’t happen strongly leaning towards WDW even with the added cost of flights. We need our happy place!

We cancelled college visit trips in April (Oregon, Washington, Ohio). I had been researching a family trip to Amsterdam but never bought the airfare because of growing COVID concerns. Cancelled trip to Ashland in July. Had hoped to go to DLand in October for OBB but that was canceled by Disney. So no trips currently on the horizon. One day, one day. In the meantime, we have our health and our jobs and, just barely, our sanity ;)

We lost a lot of Disneyland weekends. After spring break (April), Memorial Day, were lost to the shelter at home orders we chose to replace our July weekend kayaking in Monterey since we live within a few hours drive.
This weekend was supposed to be Disneyland and we just got back to our other Anaheim timeshare from Downtown Disney. At first I thought it wouldn't be a great substitute but then with the heat this weekend staying at home with no pool would have been miserable, so we're very glad to be here enjoying board games with the kids and using the resort amenities by appointment completely uncrowded.

We had several trips booked this year:

Spring Break: Panama Canal cruise, including Costa Rica and 3 Caribbean islands - cancelled

May: Mom's 70th bday trip to Asheville, NC - cancelled

June: DCL Alaska cruise + Vancouver weekend - cancelled

July: NYC - cancelled

August: Aulani & HHV on Oahu - cancelled

We were just talking about spending Christmas in Europe when COVID made it's way to the U.S. Never got that trip off the ground which would have been another "cancelled" anyway!

We did make it to two National Parks, went on a camping trip, and are heading to another NP later this year. I'm happy we were able to do what we have even done so far!

We had several trips booked this year:

Spring Break: Panama Canal cruise, including Costa Rica and 3 Caribbean islands - cancelled

May: Mom's 70th bday trip to Asheville, NC - cancelled

June: DCL Alaska cruise + Vancouver weekend - cancelled

July: NYC - cancelled

August: Aulani & HHV on Oahu - cancelled

We did make it to two National Parks, and camped, and are heading to another NP later this year. I'm happy we were able to do what we have even done so far!

Looking ahead to next year, cautiously. I would like to visit:

White Sands National Park/Carlsbad Caverns National Parks in NM

Spring Break in Hawaii

Europe in the summer - Germany/Austria/Switzerland

All of the above if possible/safe/vaccine avail of course!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!