What can I do with with 1 point that I can't use?

Hi all i changed a reservation with in 30 days so now i have 2 points in holding .my next trip is in November already booked at my home akv .anything i can do with the 2 point (we fly so adding a day at 60 days out is not going to work for me) or is it just the viking way for the 2 points thanks for any help

In your original post you said your next reservation was October of 2019 and your point expires Sept 2019?

But if the reservation is actually for this October and the point expires as you said, in Sept 2019, then you could have MS reallocate it towards the reservation this October - assuming you have used some current points for that reservation.

My Bad - my next reservation is for October of 2018. However, the one (1) point I have left is from my October 2018 Use Year which I think I banked into 2019. If so, as I understand it, this one (1) point is good through September 30, 2019. Do you think it can still be reallocated?

My Bad - my next reservation is for October of 2018. However, the one (1) point I have left is from my October 2018 Use Year which I think I banked into 2019. If so, as I understand it, this one (1) point is good through September 30, 2019. Do you think it can still be reallocated?

It couldn't be a 2018 points that you banked into your 2019 UY as that's not allowed yet for an October UY. So then assuming it is actually a 2017 points that you banked into your October 2018 UY then it could be reallocated to your upcoming reservation assuming that there were current points used for that reservation. You need to call and do that today so that you could bank the 1 point you were freeing up. However, if it was all banked points that were used for the existing October reservation then there's nothing to reallocate and the banked point will expire on Sept 30th of this year, 2018. As I noted - there's no way for you to have banked 2018 UY points into your 2019 UY so there's a bit to clarify to help out with suggestions.

You may want to go ahead and call MS to have them verify what it is and if there is an ability or reason to reallocate it to the October reservation.

It couldn't be a 2018 points that you banked into your 2019 UY as that's not allowed yet for an October UY. So then assuming it is actually a 2017 points that you banked into your October 2018 UY then it could be reallocated to your upcoming reservation assuming that there were current points used for that reservation. You need to call and do that today so that you could bank the 1 point you were freeing up. However, if it was all banked points that were used for the existing October reservation then there's nothing to reallocate and the banked point will expire on Sept 30th of this year, 2018. As I noted - there's no way for you to have banked 2018 UY points into your 2019 UY so there's a bit to clarify to help out with suggestions.

You may want to go ahead and call MS to have them verify what it is and if there is an ability or reason to reallocate it to the October reservation.

I called member Services and am thoroughly confused . They tell me that the one (1) point was actually from my Oct. 2018 Use Year (not my 2017 Use Year) and that I have until May 31, 2019 to bank it. Does this make sense? Maybe I hadn't banked it? Thank you.

I called member Services and am thoroughly confused . They tell me that the one (1) point was actually from my Oct. 2018 Use Year (not my 2017 Use Year) and that I have until May 31, 2019 to bank it. Does this make sense? Maybe I hadn't banked it? Thank you.
If you look on the Member Website and look at your Dashboard, it should tell you the status of each of your points by UY.

Yes. That makes sense. October 2018 points can be banked until May 31, 2019.

Hi all i changed a reservation with in 30 days so now i have 2 points in holding .my next trip is in November already booked at my home akv .anything i can do with the 2 point (we fly so adding a day at 60 days out is not going to work for me) or is it just the viking way for the 2 points thanks for any help
Ugh. Sorry you had to cancel at the last minute. I hate points in holding. They are a PITB. In your case, I would torch and mourn them :(.

Edited: If I had extra points to burn I might try to find a way to rent them but the 60 day rule is tough to deal with.

i would be happy to donate to good charity . anyway i can do that? or is the flame the easiest way to go.

i would be happy to donate to good charity . anyway i can do that? or is the flame the easiest way to go.
Points are no good to a charity. You'd have to add enough points to the 2 to reserve a night and donate the reservation.

Easiest thing to do is "Let them go, let them go - you didn't need those points, anyway". :)

Yes, that makes sense.

I know it is only 1 point but still sad if it's wasted.]

Exactly my point.

Even if I bank this one (1) point before 5/31/19, this one (1) point will expire on September 30, 2019 and will not be available when I am ready to book a future trip for sometime after October 2019.

Hence, I am back to the point that I began at: Looks lhis one (1) point will be eaten by the Mouse.

Exactly my point.

Even if I bank this one (1) point before 5/31/19, this one (1) point will expire on September 30, 2019 and will not be available when I am ready to book a future trip for sometime after October 2019.

Hence, I am back to the point that I began at: Looks lhis one (1) point will be eaten by the Mouse.
I think you're misunderstanding what the point can do. If it's an October 2018 point, it's good until September 30, 2019. If you bank by May 31, 2019, it will go into your October 2019 UY.

That singular point, once banked, will be good from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020.

Exactly my point.

I think you need to sit down and understand use years, banking and borrowing aspects of DVC because it seems that you're not getting it.

Your USE YEAR is October. That means that every October you receive a full allotment of your points to use on reservations from October of the current year through November of the next year. Your 2018 UY points are valid for reservations from October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2019. "Use Year" and "calendar year" are NOT the same. That trips up some people because they get confused that something with "2018" associated with it can actually be used in 2019 without any additional processing.

Points have an expiration date of the end of the Use Year. If you can't use points between October of the current year and November of the next year (your Use Year) you may BANK them so they are added to the next year's allotment. Points banked from one year to the next is a one-way trip and they may not be banked again. When I bank points I always make sure that the banked points are used first. In your case you have 1 extra point from your 2018 UY that you are not going to use. You can Bank that point by May 1, 2019 into the 2019 UY and it will now be valid for reservations from October 1, 2019 and November 30, 2020. Let's say that you own 200 points, so I like to think of it as getting 201 points to use for reservations in my 2019 UY instead of just 200.

If you have reservations that use more points that you have in your current Use Year you may BORROW points from the following UY. Like banked points, it's a one-way trip. Let's say instead of having 1 extra point leftover in 2018 you needed 1 extra point to make your October 2018 reservation. In that case, you would Borrow from your 2019 UY (valid from Oct 1, 2019-Nov 30 2020) into your 2018 UY (valid from Oct 1, 2018-Nov 30, 2019). When October 1, 2019 rolls around your allotment would only be 199 points instead of the full 200 because you borrowed.

I hope that helped you! Bottom line: You will not lose that point. You may bank that 1 point by May, 2019 and it will be put into your 2019 UY and will be valid to use between Oct 1, 2019 and Nov 30, 2020.

I think you're misunderstanding what the point can do. If it's an October 2018 point, it's good until September 30, 2019. If you bank by May 31, 2019, it will go into your October 2019 UY.

That singular point, once banked, will be good from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020.
And can be used with other points. So worth banking in my opinion.

According to the OP, this point has already been banked once.
The OP said that to begin with but came back and said it was a 2018 UY point and it indeed CAN be banked.

Last edited:
At the previous suggestion of Deb & Bill, I went into the members Webstite and here is what I found: According to the Category marked 2018 Use Year, I have one (1) point. However, when I called up my account detail, the following information is stated:

Transaction Date
Use Year Description Transaction Vacation Points Balance

May 24, 2018
Oct 2018 Reservation # at Beach Club Villas on 04/08/19 - 04/12/19 for Deluxe Studio. -44 Vacation Points 1 Vacation Points
Apr 27, 2018 Oct 2018 Bank Points to Use Year 2018 from 2017. Banking # +26 Vacation Points 45 Vacation Points.

As I read it, I believe the one (1) point was banked from my Oct. 2017 use year into my October 2018 use year and therefore is only good until September 30, 2019. Am I wrong?

At the previous suggestion of Deb & Bill, I went into the members Webstite and here is what I found: According to the Category marked 2018 Use Year, I have one (1) point. However, when I called up my account detail, the following information is stated:

Transaction Date
Use Year Description Transaction Vacation Points Balance

May 24, 2018
Oct 2018 Reservation # at Beach Club Villas on 04/08/19 - 04/12/19 for Deluxe Studio. -44 Vacation Points 1 Vacation Points
Apr 27, 2018 Oct 2018 Bank Points to Use Year 2018 from 2017. Banking # +26 Vacation Points 45 Vacation Points.

As I read it, I believe the one (1) point was banked from my Oct. 2017 use year into my October 2018 use year and therefore is only good until September 30, 2019. Am I wrong?
You are wrong.

You banked 26 points on April 27th from 2017 UY to 2018 UY and your 2018 UY balance became 45 points. You used ALL 26 banked points in your reservation made on May 24 plus 18 2018 UY points. You have 1 2018 UY point that can be banked into the 2019 UY.

ETA: Member Services uses banked points for by default when making a reservation. If you make a reservation online, the banked points are offered to you first to draw points from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!