What can we do in Melbourne.......

aussiegirls

DIS Veteran
....for about 4 hours?

On our way back from the States we transfer in Melbourne to get home to Sydney.

Because V Aust has changed their flight times a few times since we have booked we had 90 mins to change in Melbourne, and now we have 4 hours (unless we end up having even more time if they change times again). We will be at Tullamarine, and seeing as we have never been to Melbourne the kids are asking if we can go and see something - what on earth is there that we can see in 4 hours? To be honest I think that they would be happy to just go and have some lunch somewhere - at least they can go back to school and say they went to America AND Melbourne :lmao:. And to be honest, almost anything would be better than sitting in an airport for 4 hours.

So does anyone have any ideas about what we can do, maybe somewhere to grab a nice lunch, or something we can see that can be done in the brief time we have in Melbourne? It will be a Monday so hopefully the place won't be as busy as it would be on a weekend

Thanks all :goodvibes

xxx

4 hours is a long time between flights. Totally get it.

I'm guessing that 4 hours is the time between the flight from LA landing and taking off for Sydney. If so, allowing up to 1 hour for customs etc (I know it can be 10 minutes, can also be an hour,) then being at the gate 30 minutes before your next flight assuming your bags are checked through.

So, down to 2 1/2 hours. Tullermarine airport is about 45 minutes or so to and from the city depending on the time of day. In peak maybe more. So in total you're left with an hour! I don't know that you would have a chance to do that much, plus general tiredness from the flight.

There may be some shopping centres around the airport that may be ok to visit.

Thanks kylie :thumbsup2

Yeah, it is 4 hours between flights. I did figure that it would take time to get through customs etc, so we probably wouldn't have the whole 4 hours to do stuff. Bummer though that Tullamarine is 45 minutes away from the city.

Hopefully someone may be able to suggest somewhere outside of the airport where we can go and hang out for a while and grab some lunch in the time that we do have.

xxx

Aussiegirls - That's not a great deal of time to spend in Melbourne and depending on what time of the day you are flying out (and heading back to the airport), you might hit traffic.

Tullamarine Airport is north of the city and I live south. Aside from going to the airport and back, I don't spend a lot of time in that part of Melbourne. So, whilst there are suburbs out there that may have good shopping strips and food, I don't know enough to recommend anything. The furthest I've shopped north of the city is Essendon. Puckle Street has a lot of shops and food; but it is about 20 - 30 minutes away from Tulla; and possibly more depending on traffic.

I'll ask around at work tomorrow and see if any of my work colleagues can recommend something. But I think most of them are in a similar situation to me - we live in a different geographic part of Melbourne to where the airport is.

Thanks Princess :thumbsup2

For what it's worth we will be there from 8.30am until 12.30pm, so just the morning really.

xxx

Depending on how long customs takes, you could probably fill the rest of your time at the airport. Melbourne airport has lots of shops, cafes etc, so taking into account the check in times required etc, you would probably be best to stay at the airport. Plus you will save money on taxi's! Melbourne is a fabulous city with lots to do, but 3 hours is just not enough time to even get out of the airport! Have fun and just relax. :goodvibes

Aussiegirls - I asked around. I think the general consensus is that if you have time and feel up to leaving the airport, then Airport West Shopping Centre (Westfield) might be an option. It's about 10 - 15 minutes away.

I'd also suggest that you check out the shops at Tullamarine on line. The food options in the main airport aren't too bad.

ps. If you do decide to get to the Westfield, I suggest you get yourselves/bags into the taxi before telling the taxi driver where you want to go...:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter