What can you bring/leave on the bus?

ktsummer

Earning My Ears
These threads have been really helpful in preparing me for our first ABD to Costa Rica in 10 days, particularly in knowing how much and how early we'll be on the buses. What I haven't been able to track down, though, is what bags and other items people typically bring on the buses with them and if you are able to leave the bags somewhere while you're doing the activities. For example, I'll want to have our passports on us, plus books/chargers for the drive, and maybe a stray toothbrush that didn't make it out for 6:30 a.m. luggage call. But I don't want to carry that bag through the white water rapids or zip line.

Can you veterans please help me understand how this works? Thank you!

Not sure about Costa Rica specifically, but in general you can leave your bags on the bus during activities. So, if you wanted to bring an extra bag, that shouldn't be a problem.

On ABD trips that’s we’ve taken, we could leave our bags in the bus if we will be taking the same bus back to the hotel. There was a time that we were getting back on a different bus back to the hotel and we had the choice to carry our bag during the excursion or they delivered them to our hotel room and the guides had extra tags to do this.

Doesn’t answer your logistic question, but
I travel with a small portable Pacsafe Travel Safe that I use to store valuables. There are other kinds available. There are many uses for travel safes including at the pool, bus, luggage, or extra security inside a hotel safe.

Although this may not ease your worry, the ABD guides will normally give you packing instructions the day before your activities. Most people will have a backpack or bag (purse, tote bag, etc.) they carry on the bus with them. When you get to a location where you are doing an active activity, the guides will tell you if you can leave anything not needed for the activity on the bus. If you aren’t allowed to, ABD normally has a room or other location at the activity where your bags are stored until you finish.

I always carry my crossbody pacsafe bag with me. It has stayed on me when I have done bike riding and other such activities with ABD. Other guests have also worn their backpacks during such activities. However, when we did zip lining the zip line company assigned us lockers to put our things in. At other times, ABD has just instructed us to leave our bags in a specific place and they were there when we returned.

I know it can be nerve racking, but I’ve never had an issue with anything coming up missing when I’ve followed ABDs instructions about leaving my bag somewhere. You can always buy a money belt to wear to keep extra money, etc. in. You can also buy a waterproof pouch for water activities that you can wear. That way you have it in case you’re allowed to carry it when you do white water rafting.

Travel days are hard because you have all your belongings with you, but with careful planning you should be ok. Typically, your carry on and checked bag are under the bus unless ABD has already sent them to the next hotel.

Last edited:

I'd suggest using the bags ABD provides (with a tag to help you recognize your own vs. others on the bus) or a knapsack on the bus. The room above your seat typically isn't large enough for thick backpacks.

I would also say that the Adventure Guides are normally really good about saying if you can leave stuff or if you should take it with you. They also let you know that the bus driver, in most cases, stays with the bus or if the bus will be locked when you get off. We tend to bring a smaller bag, enough to have a bottle of water and whatever else they suggest you bring for the day.

We went to Costa Rica last spring. We had the same bus and drive the entire trip. We left valuables on the bus and it was locked while we were gone. backpack could just be left on the seat if it didn't fit overhead. I didn't worry about it. Maybe I should have, but I didn't. It was an amazing trip. Enjoy!

ABD gives everyone a duffle bag (I always travel solo, so I'm not sure if it's one per reservation or one per person). It works really well as an "on the bus" bag. Some activities, like white water rafting, there's nowhere to fit stuff, so the Guides will tell you what the options are for your personal items.

Sayhello

Ktsummer, thank you for your post. And many thanks to all everyone who provided insights. I’ll be going in March and had the very same questions and concerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter