What did your one year old enjoy?

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
We are taking our little boy to WDW to celebrate his first b-day in May. We have been tons of times, but never with a baby, so this time we are going to be seeing everything through brand new eyes. Since we've done it all before, we really want to concentrate on what he will enjoy most. Yes, I know he won't remember it, but seeing him smile and laugh will be worth it! So, what did your one year olds love best at each of the parks? What about outside the parks? If it matters, he was a real preemie and is a little delayed, so he probably won't be walking at all yet. Any ideas would be appreciated!:sunny:

One of my DD's was 13 months and she loved it all.Meeting the characters, fantasyland, toontown, etc. Of course we skipped all the big rides.That was before AK was built but she loved all the other stuff.Take lots of pics and video.She loves watching them as much as we do and she is 8 yrs. old now.

Our first family trip was when my daughter was 15 months old. Her favorite was Small World. She also loved Animal Kingdom. Her favorite spot there was Affection Section. She used to refer to all animals as "dog dogs" so she was thrilled to be petting all of those dogs!

We also found that she was too little to be scared of anything, so we were able to take her on many attractions with us. She actually went in the Haunted Mansion and it didn't bother her at all. We just held her close and covered her ears when it got to loud.

Enjoy and have fun.

A long time but our grandson loved the pool (kiddie) at Disney Inn now Shades Of Green on his first birthday better than anything even Mickey.:wizard: ::yes::

Our 1 year old loved the charcter meals,Haunted Mansion,pooh ride,small world and the carousel. Also the nighttime parade. Have fun!

We took our son at 18 months, and I can't think of anything that stands out as having bothered him. Actually, I can think of one thing--he wasn't too fond of the water fountains/spouts at Downtown Disney.

I'll agree with 4forDis' comment that a child that young won't be aware of his surroundings enough to really be frightened by anything. You might want to think twice about going to any of the 3D attractions. He won't keep the glasses on, and the screen will be blurry without them. In particular, I would advise against It's Tough To Be A Bug. The theater is very dark, and if anything is going to scare your son it will be the animatronics on this attraction.

Some children don't do well with the Disney Characters themselves. I would highly recommend a number of Disney "Sing Along Songs" videos that feature the live-action characters in Disney World and Disneyland settings. Our favorite is called "Disneyland Fun." It would give your son a great introduction to Mickey, Minnie and the whole gang. They sing tunes like "Whistle While You Work" and "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah" as they parade through locations at Disneyland in California.

A couple other live action videos at set at Disney World, and have beach and camping themes. The exact titles escape me.

My DS is 18 months now but has been going to WDW since he was 6 months. He loves the shows, Beauty and the Beast, The Festival of the Lion King, Tarzan...all of them. The music, all the colors and dancers, he goes nuts. He is not fond of the 3-D attractions. He doesn't wear the glasses but I think because the screen looks a little distorted, with the darkness and the loud noises, he just doesn't like it. He has his moods with the rides like Dumbo, Aladdin's Magic Carpet and Dinasour, sometimes he likes it, sometimes not. It mostly has to do with the ride going up and down, if we keep it at one level, he's ok. Have a great time!

Characters, characters, characters. That's what our one-year-old granddaugthers loved. As long as they were the costumed characters. Neither of them cared for the "people" characters like Cinderella and Peter Pan, but they couldn't get enough of Chip & Dale, and Pluto and all the others.

OUr one year old loved the monorail and the tram ride from the parking lot the best. He actually cried several times when it was time to get off the tram. We could have just ridden around the parking lot all day and he would have been happy. He loved the train at MK and the one to conservation station and the Safari ride as well. And the TomorrowLand Transit authority was a big hit too. (I am seeing a trend here.) He also loved seeing Mickey and Goofy and cried his heart out when they drove away on the bus in EPCOT. Winnie the Pooh (the ride) was a big hit as well.

Really the only thing he objected to was Food Rocks and he was terrified of that. Daddy had to leave. we didn't go to the 3_D stuff because we knew his three year old brother would have freaked out. Same thing for Haunted Mansion and the Tiki Birds (thunder.)

Have a fun time! It is so easy to take a baby to the World.

We also took our son on his 1st birthday and he was not yet walking. We were able to take him on every ride that didn't have a height requirement. He liked everything from the bus ride on, but he's a pretty happy baby especially compared to his older brother. We skipped the 3D shows except for Muppetvision, which the baby didn't really care about one way or another. He loved the Disney Playhouse show at MGM, but Fantasmic was way too loud for him. We had to leave early. That was the only thing he didn't like, but that may have been more because he was tired. He tended to like things, especially shows, that had music. He didn't have a problem with the Food Rocks show. He did really like crawling around at the Toon Town and MGM play areas.

We have a comfy stroller and brought plenty of snacks, drinks and a few toys. Sometimes waiting in line bored him, and we would sing songs and bounce up and down. We returned to our hotel for an afternoon nap, but he also napped a lot in the stroller. It helped to alternate indoor attractions with outdoor ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter