What do I lose if I stay off site?

Being able to go to sleep before the kids do is amazing.

I lol'd at this part of your post. How true. People always give advice that it's nice to have a condo so you can put the small kids to bed and enjoy a drink on the balcony or something. We're at the same point as you now - can't keep up with the kids! lol

Here now and had a few days offsite. Parking at a park was held back long enough to allow the on site folks time to stream in at opening, and the parks did open early.

Not sure if important to anyone.

I know it’s technically not off site but the Disney springs area hotels give all the same benefits (minus transportation) and their rates right now are really affordable

I just booked our first offsite stay since 2008 for next June. We are getting a 6 bedroom house for 2 weeks for much less than on-site would be for 9 people. I am hoping it won’t be too inconvenient driving ourselves and we won’t lose out on the magic as we have 4 first -timers on this trip.

Currently, it would appear not that much, except you lose the disney themes of the resorts, and free transportation. However, depending where you stay, free transportation to the parks may be an option.
Once EMH come back, then it all changes again.

We have stayed both onsite and offsite when at Disney over the years and enjoyed both. It mostly is a matter of personal preference, budget, how you plan to spend your time and what 'value' you attach to being onsite. Offsite tends to be less expensive for a given type of accommodation.

This!

We have always stayed offsite, just because its much cheaper. I can either get a discounted condo or my father-in-law will get us a room at his condo for free.

We did get an estimate for staying on site in 2018, $4400 for a week, including tickets. $2400 was the cost for staying offsite, with the same tickets. We chose staying offsite.

Offsite, we are about 10-15 minutes away from coming to a stop in the parking space at the parks. We also have more choices for restaurants that are nearby and there are a couple of grocery stores close to where we stay.

And, to be honest, after a full day at the parks, its nice to get out of the Disney bubble.....

I've done on-site and off-site. Love them both, but they're different trips:

When we stay on-site, it's go-go-go. We can be quite Commando about the parks -- after all, tickets are expensive, and we want to make the most of our time. We love Disney transportation, and with teens that'd matter to me -- Disney transportation allows them to go here or there (or hit a park earlier or later than you) without your immediate supervision.

In contrast, when we stay off-site, we sleep in more, grill out nice family dinners, and have leisurely afternoons at the pool with the family. We don't have tickets for every day of our stay. Off-site is also significantly less expensive; the condo we're renting for our next trip is 4-bedrooms and a private pool for $75/night (admittedly, that's off-season).

Both are great -- the question is, Which trip do you want?

Word is that character appearances are set to begin at resorts which is pretty big perk for some.

My family has a ton of Bluegreen points so we always stay offsite. It’s a quick drive to all the parks and Disney Springs. Having our own car is preferable to Disney transportation because we have full control. We also love staying in bigger rooms with amenities. Being able to do simple things like cook meals, wash dishes in the dishwasher and do laundry whenever you please is so nice. I probably won’t be staying on property unless we can find a killer deal on a similar style set up. Too much of a trade off for not much in return

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts