What do you do With the Backpack?

Cruising Engineer

DIS Veteran
Going to MK with my nephew, his wife, and 3 children (7, 5, 4 yo). This is a first for my nephew's family and a first for us with kids. I have been reading all the advice about bringing snacks, water bottles, a change of clothes (for the kids), etc. But I have experienced the rides have very snug safety equipment. So, if all the additional necessities are in a backpack, how do you ride the rides, or where do you put the backpack during the ride?

If you have to bring a pack, you can bring it on the ride with you. Or you can leave it in the stroller. I’m a “less is more” person, and I”m also not a pack mule, so no packs for me. My ID/AP/Credit card in one pocket, phone and charger in another pocket, and maybe some tissues in the other pocket. If I bring a water bottle, it’s one that is super light and I carry it in my hand, or clip it to my belt loop. I don’t have babies and the 5 year old can go a while without a snack, so no need to haul all that stuff around. If the kids have autograph books for the characters, they can carry their own tiny pack with it I guess.

Leave it at home. Consider embracing the "only bring what can fit in your pockets" Disney lifestyle.
If you have to bring a pack, you can bring it on the ride with you. Or you can leave it in the stroller. I’m a “less is more” person, and I”m also not a pack mule, so no packs for me. My ID/AP/Credit card in one pocket, phone and charger in another pocket, and maybe some tissues in the other pocket. If I bring a water bottle, it’s one that is super light and I carry it in my hand, or clip it to my belt loop. I don’t have babies and the 5 year old can go a while without a snack, so no need to haul all that stuff around. If the kids have autograph books for the characters, they can carry their own tiny pack with it I guess.

Then we don't need all the extras. Good to know. Everyone will have their own butt pack and can carry what little they need. Thank you.

I carry a backpack with all the potential needs: rain ponchos, water, juice boxes, snacks, Tylenol, phone charger, sunscreen, lip balm, etc. when I go on rides, it usually sits at my feet and I put 1 leg through it. If everyone is going to have a fanny pack they can all carry their own stuff easily. My kids prefer string bags, and again, just sit it on the floor of the ride with your leg through it so it doesn’t fall out. I don’t think I can go without a bag but I would love to! Saves a lot of money if your kids want snacks and drinks

With those ages I wouldn't worry much about all the extras...I would take sunscreen, a few snacks and maybe a change of clothes but I would leave it all in the stroller. Otherwise, I would just have a small bag with the essentials that I would take with me on the rides. (I take a small bag everywhere...so my Disney packing is the same.)

I take a small Vera backpack that goes on the rides with me. I buy snacks and drinks or get free water. I don’t carry a lot around with us.

My wife and I carry smallish, travel size smashable backpacks. I think they are LL Bean brand. We took them on all the rides and would stow them at our feet or wherever the ride had storage. Never thought twice about it. Very easy to do. We carried everything for ourselves and our two kids, 12 and 9.

I'd bring a stroller with a four year old and leave it there. I'd talk to thparents before going bagless. We went when my son was four and he definitely needed a change of clothes after eating a ice cream one day.

A rental double stroller is perfect to leave a backpack and any other stuff in when you go on rides. Also, it's great to give your back a rest by putting the backpack in the stroller when walking around. And even if the kids mostly want to walk, the stroller allows them to take a rest if they feel like it, and is a handy place for the smaller ones to sit for parades.

Last edited:
Personally I’d let your nephew and his wife decide a)what they want to bring for their kids and b)how they want to carry it. I’d recommend sending them here for tips but I think two adults can make a decision about what they feel is best for their family. I’d only worry about what you need to bring in for yourself, if that’s bagless then go for it! I get the feeling your trying to help, which is great! But I wouldn’t get down to the level of, changes of clothes, snacks, etc. unless they ask for that level of assistance.

Going to MK with my nephew, his wife, and 3 children (7, 5, 4 yo). This is a first for my nephew's family and a first for us with kids. I have been reading all the advice about bringing snacks, water bottles, a change of clothes (for the kids), etc. But I have experienced the rides have very snug safety equipment. So, if all the additional necessities are in a backpack, how do you ride the rides, or where do you put the backpack during the ride?
Bring a stroller and leave everything in the pram and park it.

Interesting idea, but no one needs a stroller.
When we went in 2012 my daughter was 4.5y and my son was 2y. We ended up renting a double stroller, namely for him, but we found her little legs still needed that break. When she wasn't in the stroller it became a mule carrying our stuff. As I look at those pictures she is a little too big for the stroller but it did work well.

So a stroller rental may not be a bad idea just to give the 4yo a break from time to time and haul stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!