What do you like in your salads?

JodyLynC

DIS Veteran
I made a yummy salad tonight for work tomorrow. It had lettuce, spinach, broccoli slaw, carrots, red pepper, green pepper, peas, asparagus, bleu cheese crumbles, strawberries, dried cranberries, and a sprinkle of honey roasted nuts. My fav. dressing is Marzettis Fat Free Sweet n Sour dressing.

What neat things do you put in your salads to pep them up?

I'm also curious about interesting chicken salads and seafood salads.

Please share! :banana:

I like a baby lettuce blend with carrots, scallions, cucumber, tomato, shredded beets, black olives, a bit of cheese, croutons, raisins and sunflower seeds. I'm not picky about dressings, any flavor will do.

I make a basic chicken salad - chicken, celery, a bit of onion, salt, pepper and mayo. I use that recipe for turkey salad also and for ham salad I throw in a bit of pickle relish. Seafood salad is the same.

I love berries in my salad. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc. Also almond slices are fantastic in salads. :) Our grocer carries something called Almond Accents in the produce section. They come in different flavors and are fantastic. www.almondaccents.com

Also, my new favorite salad dressing is Garlic Expressions. It is in the cooler near the produce at Kroger and Meijer.

I like to put tandoori marinated chicken in my salads... I use this dressing (For one portion):

1 large tablespoon Mayonaise
1 lime (Zested and juiced)
Black pepper
A tiny squirt of honey.

All combined together in a mixed leaf salad with loads of red onion, spring onion, and a little bit of chopped parsley.

Also, leftover roasted salmon is lovely in the same salad, but dressed with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and a tiny bit of salt.

Ooooo- And pomegrante seeds are lovely in salads!

Bob xoxoxox

I love chicken, strawberries, apples, craisins, walnuts, pecans. Or any mixture of the 6. I have found out that the WishBone spray dressing are great. I just use the pre mix salads, fruit, nuts, grilled chicken and the spray. I have a great diet lunch that I honestly look forward to. My favorite spray is Rasberry Bliss.

I was really into Asian salads for a while. Kind of a McDonald's knock-off.

Spring Mix Lettuce
Mandarin oranges
Edamame
Slivered Almonds
Crispy Fried Rice Noodles
Sesame Ginger Dressing

Now I'm making more traditional American salads.

Iceberg Lettuce
Cucumber
Tomato
Garbanzo Beans
Black Olives
Crumbled Bacon
Avocado
Hard Boiled Egg (sometimes)
Texas Toast Croutons (they're the best)
Any Dressing

Southwest Salad

Same as above except omit Garbanzo Beans, Bacon, Eggs, and Croutons. Add Black Beans, Corn, Crushed Tortilla Chips or Doritos, Salsa, Sour Cream, and Catalina Dressing.

Mine are boring compared to yours! LOL Ingredients vary by what’s on sale from week to week. My favorite salads are the ones from the weeks that bagged mixes are on sale. ;) A good salad will include any or all of these: lettuce, spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper, 3-bean salad, green olives, pickled beets, pickled eggs, pea pods, grape tomatoes, French-fried onion rings (like for green bean casserole)… Dressings are usually Ranch, Raspberry Vinaigrette, or one of Newman’s Own – like the Balsamic, Caesar or there’s a new Lime one DH really likes.

About 35 years ago the grandmother of one of my students would bring the best chicken salad to events. She’d put pineapple, green grapes & almond slices in it. I don’t know what her dressing was though.  I picked up some tips from a poster here & changed my dressing several years ago. I add some orange juice, orange zest, wine vinegar, ground celery seed, a touch of garlic powder & a packet of Splenda to the mayo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter