What do you like to do on your travel days?

On the last day, we usually eat breakfast at Captain Cook's at the Poly. Great way to unwind with a castle view!

We generally don't "plan" anything for arrival r departure days. It's usually our spontaneous day, whatever we want to d that we might not get to some other day... if we have the time for it.

Our arrival day is usually Disney Springs and California Grill that night.
Departure day is whatever we want to do.

We usually arrive early, but don't go to a park. Its a swim/relax day. We also usually go to dinner at either another resort or DS. We always leave early so have never had time to do anything on departure day.

We typically arrive late and depart late. Usually upon arrival we just check into our hotel and go straight to bed in preparation for an early morning for our first full day. Our departure day is always spent at whatever park we want to visit again. We leave the park the absolute latest we can to head to MCO. We don’t ever check bags and we have TSA Precheck so we don’t need to get to MCO earlier than 1 hour before takeoff.

Man, that last day at Disney is always bittersweet. So happy to be there and so sad that it’s already come to an end.

Last edited:

It’s ten hour drive for me so I arrive late and worn out. I usually stay offsite and hit the grocery. I usually check in at my Disney resort before 7:00 a.m.

We always catch the earliest flight in (land by 9 am) and the latest flight out (leave around 9 pm). We have always hit MK on those days. Now that the kids are older we hit MK on arrival and DHS on departure day. With FP+ it works out great !

If we have APs, we land and head straight to a park. If not we enjoy the resort, swim, cocktail, then head to Disney Springs for dinner.

The plan this year is to arrive on a late afternoon flight, check into our room, have dinner at our resort, and get some rest for our first park day the next morning. For our departure day, we will check out of our room, eat at 'springs and hop the plane home. Pretty boring but also pretty relaxing considering what we will sandwich in between those days!

A few years, if we got there early enough we just decided to add a day to our tickets just to go see Fantasmic... It's my favorite show!

Last trip we decided to do the monorail resort hop to see the Christmas decorations and some Christmas snacks before dinner at Boma! Started out awesome, then my 8 year old puked on the monorail (thankfully in a gift bag)... So instead we headed back to our resort the Beach Club and ate Boardwalk Bakery sandwiches while he slept.

So my advice is to be flexible! Cause no matter what, you're at Walt Disney World so it's gonna be awesome!

Arrival day we check in mid morning and then do QS for lunch and then a water park until room is ready.
Departure day we stay in the room until 11am and then we have lunch and hang out by pool or common areas until we leave for MCO in early afternoon.

Arrival day, we take the flight that will get us there the earliest (within reason). Being from the West Coast, that usually means we don't arrive to MCO until 3 p.m. So, by the time we do a few things around the airport at a leisurely pace, check into Magical Express, and arrive at the resort, it's close to 5 p.m. So, we unpack for how many days we are at the resort (we do split stays), wash up, and go find something to eat.

On departure day, we usually have a nice breakfast ADR and then take off for MCO, via Magical Express.

Travel day is arrival at hotel and dinner is usually table service where we are staying at. When we arrive late, we stay at value resort, then have our luggage transferred over to next hotel and go over to Ohana for breakfast.

Travel day is arrival at hotel and dinner is usually table service where we are staying at. When we arrive late, we stay at value resort, then have our luggage transferred over to next hotel and go over to Ohana for breakfast.

I never though of staying at a Value resort on travel day. Hmmmmmm

Get in be flexible stay at the value and never really unpack. Hit the park hard first thing next day and check in to the other hotel when it is ready.

I really like this Idea! Thanks.

This is a good thread. We always seem to fail miserably on arrival day. Departure day order breakfast pack and Disney express.

Can't wait for our January First Welcome Home trip!!

On arrival day, I always like to get our room settled - unpacked, organized, hang up clothes, etc. Take care of any "business". If we don't have park tickets, we will most likely visit Disney Springs or make a dinner ADR at a resort and spend some time exploring that resort, grabbing a drink, etc. On our most recent trip in October, we took an Uber to City Walk at Universal on our arrival night because we didn't have time to do Universal during that trip. So, we got a taste of Universal without spending money on park tickets.

On departure day, I prefer not to visit a park. I like to pack everything up, take our time, take in the last few moments of the resort. Depending on our flight time and DME pick up time, we may do a TS breakfast at a resort. We find visiting a park on our last day is too time consuming and we're constantly rushing and clock watching. I also don't like getting sweaty (if its hot) before our flight and I usually wear something different on the plane than I would to a park, so that's just another logistical consideration for me.

Between 1989 and 2012 we drove from MD. We spent our first travel night, (Friday) in Jacksonville and got to Disney the following day before noon. We dressed in park clothes but had a pool bag packed also. QS lunch where we were staying and waited around till the room was ready. If it looked like it was going to be awhile we did the pool. If the room was ready quick we unloaded the cars and went to a park. Nothing was planned in those later years as we had 7 day park hoppers and just winged it. On the last day- the following Saturday we did what we wanted but always ended up having dinner at Trails End. Sunday was the departure travel day and we hit the road early so we didn't do anything but drive off into the sunset.
Now we live here and have our own RV so we drive over to the Fort, which is 30 minutes away and stay for 5 days during the week. Still no planning, and the trip in October we didn't even go to a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter