What happens if you develop COVID symptoms DURING your stay?

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
Not looking for "if you are worried, don't go". I get that. But I am honestly curious...

You have a 7 day stay and day 4 you develop a fever. What does Disney do?
* You can't book an early flight back home - you are not allowed to fly.
* Chances are you cannot get another hotel.... They will do a temperature check and won't let you book a room.
* Disney policy is you cannot stay at Disney
* MAYBE you can rent a car? I don't know....Not even sure how you would get there. Would Uber take you if you are infected?
* Unless you are in ICU condition, the hospital doesn't want you. Even if they did, what about family who are considered exposed, but not sick yet?

Like does Disney drive you to the edge of the property, throw you over the line, throw your bag at you and play a Mickey sound byte of "See you again real soon! Hahaa!" Do they even have a policy for this scenario yet?

Not looking for "if you are worried, don't go". I get that. But I am honestly curious...

* Chances are you cannot get another hotel.... They will do a temperature check and won't let you book a room.
* MAYBE you can rent a car? I don't know....Not even sure how you would get there. Would Uber take you if you are infected?
* Unless you are in ICU condition, the hospital doesn't want you. Even if they did, what about family who are considered exposed, but not sick yet?

Like does Disney drive you to the edge of the property, throw you over the line, throw your bag at you and play a Mickey sound byte of "See you again real soon! Hahaa!" Do they even have a policy for this scenario yet?

don’t know but if you care and your smart you won’t have to worry about any of them things. Wdw is safer now than it’s ever been with masks and social distance.

don’t know but if you care and your smart you won’t have to worry about any of them things. Wdw is safer now than it’s ever been with masks and social distance.

Actually, I am not worried at all about WDW. It's the plane flight the worries me the most (tight spaces, largely recycled air). But I am not overly worried anyway - I plan on going. It's more an idle curiosity.

I had the same thoughts, worries in June when we traveled to Dollywood the first week it opened. Somehow, after mentioning my fears to my DH, I managed to forget about it, and just had a good time.

I don’t know what would happen, but we have decided to drive to WDW for any trips that do happen this year.

Does your drive require an overnight stay? Wife's not enthused about staying in a hotel.

If you develop symptoms on day 4 ,you brought it with you.The incubation time is 7-10 days. That being said ,if you do develop symptoms I imagine they will call 911 and you'd be admitted to a hospital.

If you develop symptoms on day 4 ,you brought it with you.The incubation time is 7-10 days. That being said ,if you do develop symptoms I imagine they will call 911 and you'd be admitted to a hospital.

My parents both had the virus and know where my dad was exposed (work meeting). Their incubation period was 2 days - not 7 - 10 days.

I also wondered about this. If you only have mild symptoms, no need to call 911 or go to the hospital.

My parents both had the virus and know where my dad was exposed (work meeting). Their incubation period was 2 days - not 7 - 10 days.

I also wondered about this. If you only have mild symptoms, no need to call 911 or go to the hospital.

CDC latest guidance is 98% show symptoms in 12 days with the median being 4-5 days. Total period is reported by CDC and WHO as being 2-14 days. (Although a recent study by the CDC suggests 10 days is the maximum that you are infectious).

911 is only if you require an ICU. For many it’s mild symptoms and you are required to isolate until you get better with just OTC medication.

there is also the question of family who would not be allowed in the hospital, but would be required to be isolated.

Last edited:

This interim guidance is for clinicians caring for patients with confirmed infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). CDC will update this interim guidance as more information becomes available.
Clinical Presentation
Incubation period
The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days, with a median time of 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms onset.1-3 One study reported that 97.5% of persons with COVID-19 who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of SARS-CoV-2 infection.3

I hope their cases were mild and I sit corrected.

This is an interesting question and you laid it out fairly well. I am thinking about the only choice you would have is getting a car and driving back home.

And I know this is not Disney's problem (and not mine either), but what if you lived in Seattle? Sleep in your car? While sick? With the kids and family all crowded together? Again, I know not Disney's problem. I live in Maryland so I could do the drive in about 14 hours. I'd be a'right. But I mean it's a real concern to some!

Plus if I were Disney, I would hate the PR of "Disney kicked my sick family including our 2 year old girl out on our bums and we had to hitchhike home 3,200 miles! In the snow! Uphill! Both Ways!" which you know someone would post. Along with heartbreaking video and it would go viral 2 hours before it was posted.

This interim guidance is for clinicians caring for patients with confirmed infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). CDC will update this interim guidance as more information becomes available.
Clinical Presentation
Incubation period
The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days, with a median time of 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms onset.1-3 One study reported that 97.5% of persons with COVID-19 who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of SARS-CoV-2 infection.3

I hope their cases were mild and I sit corrected.

They are both fine, thanks for the concern! I only posted to let others know that the incubation period can be quite small and you most certainly could develop symptoms on a trip to Disney! Both showed symptoms on day 2 - it hit them like a ton of bricks. Both only ran fevers a couple days and were totally symptom free at day 10.

This is why I question the taking of temperatures before going into a Disney park. My parents only ran temperatures a couple days, but were considered contagious until day 14. Seems like a lot of asymptomatic people could get into the parks as long as they had no fever and infect others - who could show symptoms while staying at a Disney hotel.

Exactly the above. I can be contagious as I sit here and type. There r so so many other symptoms. I have seen some weird ones while treating patients. The temp thing only helps so much. And again why I feel we just need to sit back and wait and be safe. Disney will always be there.

They are both fine, thanks for the concern! I only posted to let others know that the incubation period can be quite small and you most certainly could develop symptoms on a trip to Disney! Both showed symptoms on day 2 - it hit them like a ton of bricks. Both only ran fevers a couple days and were totally symptom free at day 10.

This is why I question the taking of temperatures before going into a Disney park. My parents only ran temperatures a couple days, but were considered contagious until day 14. Seems like a lot of asymptomatic people could get into the parks as long as they had no fever and infect others - who could show symptoms while staying at a Disney hotel.
Exactly which is why I don't see us there before a vaccine which hopefully is before Fall of 21'.

So I actually thought about this for our trip. We flew, then rented a car for the duration of our stay. I figured if one of us came down with symptoms we would just drive home in the rental car and pay whatever fees necessary with the rental company for a separate return city and any other fees applicable. Also, perhaps worth noting that you may not even be able to get test results back to confirm if your symptoms are Covid related depending on what Florida's current result times are.

It's the plane flight the worries me the most (tight spaces, largely recycled air).

This may be for some airlines (I didn't look into them all) but here is SWA's approach:

All of our aircraft are equipped with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which filter out airborne particles as the air onboard is recirculated with outside air. These same HEPA filters are used in many hospitals to enhance air quality within this environment.

Our aircraft are also designed with an air circulation system that mixes in fresh air from outside the plane. The HEPA filter and the air circulation system work together to provide optimum air quality while onboard a Southwest plane which, in most cases, exceeds the quality of air that can be found outdoors, as well as a typical office building or similar public venue. On average, a complete exchange of cabin air and outside air is accomplished every three minutes. (Bold is my emphasis)

This may be for some airlines (I didn't look into them all) but here is SWA's approach:

All of our aircraft are equipped with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which filter out airborne particles as the air onboard is recirculated with outside air. These same HEPA filters are used in many hospitals to enhance air quality within this environment.

Our aircraft are also designed with an air circulation system that mixes in fresh air from outside the plane. The HEPA filter and the air circulation system work together to provide optimum air quality while onboard a Southwest plane which, in most cases, exceeds the quality of air that can be found outdoors, as well as a typical office building or similar public venue. On average, a complete exchange of cabin air and outside air is accomplished every three minutes. (Bold is my emphasis)

and then there is this....
https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/southwest/southwest-airlines-coronavirus-cleaning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter