What happens if you develop COVID symptoms DURING your stay?

don’t know but if you care and your smart you won’t have to worry about any of them things. Wdw is safer now than it’s ever been with masks and social distance.

Unless of course, you have no idea you are carrying the virus and have no symptoms, until you do. No amount of prevention is going to help you if you already had the virus and brought it with you unknowingly, then what do you do?

And the thing is, YOU can be doing all the right things, but it doesn't mean every single person around you is. If you are visiting family or even limiting contact to a small group of friends, there is a greater than zero chance that someone ELSE might not have been as careful as you. It only takes one person to spread it, and that person doesn't have to feel sick to do it.

Clinical Presentation
Incubation period
The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days, with a median time of 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms onset.1-3 One study reported that 97.5% of persons with COVID-19 who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of SARS-CoV-2 infection.3
I hope their cases were mild and I sit corrected.

Median time just means that when they analyze the exposure-to-symptom time, the median is the exact middle numbers if you listed out every data point in numerical order. There will be plenty of people who get symptoms sooner, and plenty who get them later, but a lot of the time it seems to happen around day 4 or 5 after exposure.

Surface transmission is the least likely source of transmission, so it makes sense that they would spend less on frequent surface cleaning and more on filtration and social distancing. It's an airborne disease that basically only gets transmitted through surfaces thirdhand (person who is positive touches their mouth/nose/eyes and then touches surface or expels droplets onto surface....person touches that surface....person then touches their own mouth/nose). The transmission is stopped if everyone is wearing masks to keep their own droplets in, not touching their face and washing hands/sanitizing frequently.

Well, this is our nightmare.... and why we will not return until APR 2021.

We live in MI. DVC owners - we used to go twice per year. But right now? If we fly IN, we have no idea if we can fly BACK :(. Nothing to do with WDW - all airlines. We sort of need a "right to return" law :(.

A person wouldn't be able to stay in their hotel room? Order food delivery or room service? At least for their booked length of stay and then possibly extend the stay if needed? They'd have to pay for it, of course, but why are you thinking a sick person would be forced to leave, particularly if they still had additional days booked?

A person wouldn't be able to stay in their hotel room? Order food delivery or room service? At least for their booked length of stay and then possibly extend the stay if needed? They'd have to pay for it, of course, but why are you thinking a sick person would be forced to leave, particularly if they still had additional days booked?

Well, I do not know, but I assume that if they say you are not allowed on Disney property if you are infected, they mean it. But I guess that's part of the question.

I actually contacted Disney with this question a couple weeks ago when we still had our trip scheduled (which has since been cancelled ☹) about what is Disney's protocol for this. We had a 15 night stay scheduled and I wanted to know what happens if on day 10 or sometime in the middle of the trip someone gets sick with Covid. I received a call back from a DVC representative (since we were staying on our DVC points) and was told (at that time) that they did not have a specific protocol for this instance. How they don't have anything set for this situation is a bit surprising to me. You would think it is bound to happen eventually. She did say though that you would not be kicked out of your room and off Disney property. She said Disney would work with you to make sure you were taken care of. I asked about quarantining other family members who were not sick (although by that point they are probably doomed anyway) to keep them away from the infected individual and she said it may be possible to move other members of your party to a different room since there are so many unused rooms right now. She couldn't say for sure though what would happen. So while it was a little unsettling that they hadn't set up protocols for this problem at least she said they would make sure you were taken care of....what that entails....I have no idea🤷‍♂️

I’ve not talked about this on these forums, but I am on day 43 of being incapacitated by the Coronavirus. You are supposed to stay isolated for 10-14 days, depending on who you listen to, but between 10-15% of people will remain sick for much longer than that. (That percentage is based on some estimates I’ve seen, the truth is that solid information about this virus does not exist yet. It’s new and poorly understood.) All that to say, you could be in real trouble if you got sick at WDW. I have no idea how they would handle it. I’m sure they don’t want contagious patients in their hotel rooms for a long list of reasons

I actually contacted Disney with this question a couple weeks ago when we still had our trip scheduled (which has since been cancelled ☹) about what is Disney's protocol for this. We had a 15 night stay scheduled and I wanted to know what happens if on day 10 or sometime in the middle of the trip someone gets sick with Covid. I received a call back from a DVC representative (since we were staying on our DVC points) and was told (at that time) that they did not have a specific protocol for this instance. How they don't have anything set for this situation is a bit surprising to me. You would think it is bound to happen eventually. She did say though that you would not be kicked out of your room and off Disney property. She said Disney would work with you to make sure you were taken care of. I asked about quarantining other family members who were not sick (although by that point they are probably doomed anyway) to keep them away from the infected individual and she said it may be possible to move other members of your party to a different room since there are so many unused rooms right now. She couldn't say for sure though what would happen. So while it was a little unsettling that they hadn't set up protocols for this problem at least she said they would make sure you were taken care of....what that entails....I have no idea🤷‍♂️

Weird right? Honestly as long as the dollars are coming in, thats #1 priority for them right now. Remember, Disney is a corporation, not a person.

It is odd as this almost certainly has already happened, it may just not be announced to the public.

Part of the reason cruise lines m will struggle as well is similar to this situation...theres absolutely no way to "quarantine" someone on vacation and then allow them to disembark, travel home, etc.

I think an interesting wrinkle to this question is that if you come from a state where Florida imposes a quarantine on its residents, then by the act of seeking treatment, you may expose yourself to large fines for not having done the quarantine.

I think an interesting wrinkle to this question is that if you come from a state where Florida imposes a quarantine on its residents, then by the act of seeking treatment, you may expose yourself to large fines for not having done the quarantine.

Since we were coming from NY I also asked about if we could even check in (I now see today the Gov. of FL finally lifted the quarantine restrictions on the Tri-State area). I was told we could check in to our room but were supposed to stay in it for 14 days. I have no idea if they would try to enforce it or not, but staying in a studio and not being able to leave for 14 days didn't sound very magical. On the bright side we would have still had 1 day to go to whichever park we wanted! 😅

My parents both had the virus and know where my dad was exposed (work meeting). Their incubation period was 2 days - not 7 - 10 days.

I also wondered about this. If you only have mild symptoms, no need to call 911 or go to the hospital.
I think the incubation period is between 2-10 days. It's a cray cray virus and you don't know how it's going to hit you until you get it!

This may be for some airlines (I didn't look into them all) but here is SWA's approach:

All of our aircraft are equipped with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which filter out airborne particles as the air onboard is recirculated with outside air. These same HEPA filters are used in many hospitals to enhance air quality within this environment.

Our aircraft are also designed with an air circulation system that mixes in fresh air from outside the plane. The HEPA filter and the air circulation system work together to provide optimum air quality while onboard a Southwest plane which, in most cases, exceeds the quality of air that can be found outdoors, as well as a typical office building or similar public venue. On average, a complete exchange of cabin air and outside air is accomplished every three minutes. (Bold is my emphasis)

FWIW, here in Canada if a person tests postive and flew within the time window where they are considered contagious tpublic health authorities consider a couple rows either side of the person on the plane to be "close contacts" for contact tracing purposes. I'm not sure if a couple rows is two or three, but it is NOT the entire plane. At least for the planes that have HEPA filtration.

Actually, I am not worried at all about WDW. It's the plane flight the worries me the most (tight spaces, largely recycled air). But I am not overly worried anyway - I plan on going. It's more an idle curiosity.
Just to give some reassurance regarding flying. Most airlines have hospital grade air filters and turn air over 25 times an hour. They also pull air from outside. We flew last week, safest I’ve ever felt flying. Hated wearing the mask but so worth it go get away for a few weeks.

It is highly unlikely that Disney would refuse to accommodate a hotel guest who thinks they may be infected by Covid. There are hospitality laws designed to protect guests from unscrupulous hoteliers. Generally speaking, when a hotel accepts a reservation, they are obligated to provide a room. Period. You cannot refuse to allow someone to check in for arbitrary reasons, nor can you (easily) evict someone against their will.

There are provisions in these rules for public safety. However we have no guidance from CDC, WHO or similar organizations stating that hotels, apartments or similar close quarters living is unsafe. If CDC does not believe hotels are unsafe during the Covid pandemic--knowing that the presence of contagious guests is unavoidable--then Disney is on shaky ground making that call on their own.

If a guest admits they may be contagious, it would be wise for Disney to do their best to accommodate. They have every right to charge for an extended stay or other services provided. (But they may choose to not do so.)

In the 1.5 months since the resorts reopened, there HAVE been Covid-positive guests. It's unavoidable. If you choose to visit now, treat everyone like a possible Covid carrier. Wipe down your room upon arrival if you wish. Wear masks. Avoid physical contact with others. Sanitize hands frequently.

Since we were coming from NY I also asked about if we could even check in (I now see today the Gov. of FL finally lifted the quarantine restrictions on the Tri-State area). I was told we could check in to our room but were supposed to stay in it for 14 days. I have no idea if they would try to enforce it or not, but staying in a studio and not being able to leave for 14 days didn't sound very magical. On the bright side we would have still had 1 day to go to whichever park we wanted! 😅

In addition to not being very magical, it also doesn't sound very realistic. How are you supposed to eat? No room service. You'd have to leave your room to pick up grocery deliveries. I guess it would be a good way to diet! ;)

It is highly unlikely that Disney would refuse to accommodate a hotel guest who thinks they may be infected by Covid. There are hospitality laws designed to protect guests from unscrupulous hoteliers. Generally speaking, when a hotel accepts a reservation, they are obligated to provide a room. Period. You cannot refuse to allow someone to check in for arbitrary reasons, nor can you (easily) evict someone against their will.

There are provisions in these rules for public safety. However we have no guidance from CDC, WHO or similar organizations stating that hotels, apartments or similar close quarters living is unsafe. If CDC does not believe hotels are unsafe during the Covid pandemic--knowing that the presence of contagious guests is unavoidable--then Disney is on shaky ground making that call on their own.

If a guest admits they may be contagious, it would be wise for Disney to do their best to accommodate. They have every right to charge for an extended stay or other services provided. (But they may choose to not do so.)

In the 1.5 months since the resorts reopened, there HAVE been Covid-positive guests. It's unavoidable. If you choose to visit now, treat everyone like a possible Covid carrier. Wipe down your room upon arrival if you wish. Wear masks. Avoid physical contact with others. Sanitize hands frequently.

Would you or anyone else know what resorts have villas that have individual A/C units? I'm thinking the Treehouses, Bungalows and Cabins probably do and was wondering any others might.

You may want to check with Disney on this, both DVC and otherwise. If infected, contagious or have a known to direct exposure to the virus, one is expected to absolutely quarantine for 10-14 days depending on the specifics. Quarantine means stay in place. If one could drive from resort to home without stopping and have no interaction with others, that might be reasonable but otherwise, you'd be stuck. No gas, no drive through's, nothing. Even if one left, you'd lose any remaining points. The question is what would Disney/DVC do on the resort side if you have to stay longer? Charge you cash for the room, comp it, charge you the points? So as I see it you're in the room with no contact deliveries for the duration.

Weird right? Honestly as long as the dollars are coming in, thats #1 priority for them right now. Remember, Disney is a corporation, not a person.

It is odd as this almost certainly has already happened, it may just not be announced to the public.

Part of the reason cruise lines m will struggle as well is similar to this situation...theres absolutely no way to "quarantine" someone on vacation and then allow them to disembark, travel home, etc.

I think you are right about it already happening. There are probably people who are kinda sick and do not know what it is and just stay at disney and carry on with their vacations. They might be in denial and just go with it. If people spend thousands on their vacation, then I can see some of these people ignoring the symptoms and finishing their vacation. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but am thinking about human nature.
I too, believe, there have been these cases and there are going to be these cases at WDW. With the precautions that WDW has instilled, I have confidence that they will take care of this as each case is discovered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!