What Have I Got Myself into? (Volcano Bay Opening Weekend)

OMG!!! I was just checking on the unlimited EP prices for @dmetcalfrn days and realized that they now have my days, 5/26 & 5/28, available. Unlimited EP!!! This makes that first morning a million times easier. I was so worried about wasting any time trying to get our APs, the 1 regular EP I managed to find, and our premium seating vouchers. Without the EP, I wanted to use that early entry time to the maximum our rides before the "waits" got terrible. I guess they just decided to release more. Hopefully, it won't be like FP+, where everyone is stuck in the FP+ line. Things are definitely looking up:D

:yay::rainbow::dogdance:

First impressions

Sorry this isn't fancy. I'm posting from my phone at VB while son's toe is hurting.

Lots of stuff down off and on. Krakatoa is worst. It shut down while we were in line this morning. Still haven't ridden even though we were in park at 9am. Opened up once and then closed again. At 11am we had only done ika moana, other yellow raft slide, and lazy river.

Servers at premium seating in Rainforest village are pretty much non-existent. Met him once. Hasn't comeback, even with flag raised.

Bars are good. Shrimp mac n cheese is excellent.

Bridges are hot but pavement isn't bad.

Tapu Tapu lets you reserve 1ride at a time plus Krakatoa.

Unlimited EP still has a line sometimes to tap in like FP+. There are lines after the tap in point for a lot of rides probably due to crowds, break downs, and getting used to loading people.

Many rides don't let cameras. Some don't let shoes. Some rides have a place to leave shoes some don't. Had to hold my prescription glasses in my hand even with a strap.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Opening week for anything can have kinks to be worked out

I always wait a week or so after the big rush for new rides-parks

If you feel too many things not opened or not enough staff for you at the cabana, suggest you let guest services know how you feel about that

If Vbay was not at full operational speed today for you, would hope GS would issue you a gift card

Second impressions

3rd attempt to get food and waiter came running. There are only 3 premium seats where I am. So maybe they are under-staffed or covering too big of an area.

Food is still awesome. Conch fritters, ko'okiri plunge, and chocolate pineapple upside-down cake are excellent.

Ride reliability has been much better closer to mid-day.

Cover over loungers may not cover you all day.

Rides we did: lazy river, not-so lazy river, maku, puihi, ika moana, Krakatoa.

People keep asking the price of our loungers. Apparently lockers sold out st some point. Everyone says it would be worth it to them.

Lockers are next to the bathrooms.

Charging to my cc via my Tapu Tapu isn't working. Some are, some aren't.

We are having a great time despite any negatives I am reporting.

Hearing lots of complaints from adults about rides not working, no slots on rides, and waits.

Tapu lets you reserve 1 ride at a time plus krakatau. You don't automatically get anything though. Rivers (2) and wave pool don't need Tapu.

Tapu pad in the cabanas would be nice to know when a broken or full ride is available, but I guess you have to manually look.

Towels are rentable. Can't remember price.

Long line this morning during EE to get our EP, loungers, and towels. There's more than one place, but we did the one closest to the entrance.

Running out of tubes at the rivers. They are deflating. Lazy river goes through cave under Volcano but doesn't have any pretty lights.

Since a lot has been invested into Vbay, I'm sure all glitches will be worked out soon

UO wants the third park to shine and be a crowd pleaser

Sounds like you are having fun and enjoying the day there

Thank you for telling all of us about your day there

Much appreciated

Since a lot has been invested into Vbay, I'm sure all glitches will be worked out soon

UO wants the third park to shine and be a crowd pleaser

Sounds like you are having fun and enjoying the day there

Thank you for telling all of us about your day there

Much appreciated

We went in with proper expectations though, so it's easy to ignore somethings. Plus, we are very easy going on vacation. Never had a bad one yet, despite 9/11, the pope dying, getting sick, and a tube strike in London.

Third impressions

Pavement and wood bridges get very hot. Bring cheap flip flops. Sometimes you have to leave them outside the ride. Plus sand comes off flips flops easier. Hot pavement plus sand has ground my feet down. I don't need a pedicure nowo_O

People are leaving now. Seems quite nice crowd wise.

Thanks for providing your impressions of Volcano Bay, it is giving me insight into what to expect. I talked to you in another thread earlier that convinced me to buy unlimited express and premium seating. Hearing the reports coming in, I'm glad that I did! I will be there on Tuesday the 30th and will definitely be taking your advice to get there ASAP. I'm also glad that I bought some flip flops to use while traversing the pavement and bridges. I'm glad that you had a great time despite the grand opening hiccups and I hope that they have it a little bit more ironed out by Tuesday, I think this Memorial Day weekend is going to be a learning experience for everyone. I agree that they rushed the opening just a bit in order to be open for this very weekend, and should have done soft openings.

Thanks for the reports. I'll be down in 12 more days and am going to look now for Express availability. Looks like a lot of hiccups and minor things. I've probably been reading too many boards and reports on the park. It's got me a bit down. I hope your second day there is much better. Thanks again so much for the in-trip report!

I'm anxious to hear tomorrow if things have changed (hopefully improved) since you were at VB on Friday.

What are waits like with Express Pass?
Are some of the rides still shutting down regularly or if they're getting more reliable now?
Was the process getting your EPs & loungers a little faster than last time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!