What I learned at DVC

TreesyB

DIS Veteran
One of the things I learned when I went home for the first time this month, was: you can ask questions, but they're probably not the right answers.

I ran across that a couple of times. Like when Bell Services came unloaded my luggage, and then said: do you have any questions? And I asked a question about the bus. (whether I could take any bus directly to Aritist Point from where I was at the Paddock) He said I could. He didn't mention (as the bus driver did when I asked him) that I should make sure I only take the DTD buses, and it might not be a direct route.

Anybody else learn from trial and error?

There may have been some confusion in that Artist Point is the signature restaurant at the WL and Artist Palette is the food court at SSR.

Both were right, considering whether it was Point or Palette you asked about.

You can take any bus from the Paddocks to the Springs bus stop, exit and walk to Artist Palette. If you were going to Artist Point, you would take the DTD bus and then transfer to the Wilderness Lodge bus.

There may have been some confusion in that Artist Point is the signature restaurant at the WL and Artist Palette is the food court at SSR.

Both were right, considering whether it was Point or Palette you asked about.

Sorry, i meant Artist Palette (even more confusing since i got off the cruise and the restaurant is Animator's Palette ).

We were at OKW first week of January. I went to the concierge desk to check out our 6 day park hoppers from 4 years previous to see what we had left on them (I thought 3 days, but wasn't sure). The CM was new and asking the other CM at the desk questions as she went along about what she was doing. The CM checked the tickets. She has a little trouble reading them, but tells me 4 days left and 2 pluses! I write this down on the back of the tickets as I've learned my memory is not always the steel trap I think. We were only planning 3 park days, so this was great, and off we go!

On our third park day, at the turnstile at Animal Kingdom, the CM says nothing is left on the tickets:scared1: and sends me to guest relations.

In line with the other not so happy campers I finally end up talking to Joseph. I tell him my tale of having had the tickets checked at OKW. He looks over the tickets and says, actually the tickets had 4 days used, and only had two days left. I was a little annoyed, but obviously mistakes happen. What can you do :confused3 . Resigned to buying our single day admission, Joseph instead works some pixiedust: for us and gives us complimentary park hoppers for the day!

So thank you Joseph (and before you ask, I am sending a letter about him to the World!), and a lesson learned to double check before reaching the turnstile.

I had the same thing happen to me...and I write the days left on the back too, and then when I tried to use them, they read as completely used!!!!
I know that they weren't...I double checked at guest services, but after all was said and done, we had to buy new 7 day hoppers for two people and the whole mess took 2hours cause we had to wait in 2 lines twice to finally get into the parks. ARGH.

Glad you had some magic come your way though!!!!!

...(snip)....
Anybody else learn from trial and error?
Yes! I learned to ask quesitons on the DIS - chances are much better that you will get accurate info - or at least recognize it when you hear it, LOL.

For example, I learned on the DIS (from Chip 'nDaleExpress) that you should never ask a transportation question of any Disney person if he/she isn't wearing PURPLE PANTS!

:):)

I just came off the 4-day Wonder with my cousins, one is a CM and the other is a former CM.

They were in awe of my knowledge and called me "cruise director Julie"

The DVC rep asked me how long I had been a member after we chatted. I told him since June and his jaw dropped. I told him I was on the DIS and I know that he knows about the DIS. He winked and laughed.

So if you are lurking out there Dave, you made our cruise even better! :thumbsup2

Everything I need to know about Disney....I learned on the DIS. :rotfl:

Yes! I learned to ask quesitons on the DIS - chances are much better that you will get accurate info - or at least recognize it when you hear it, LOL.

For example, I learned on the DIS (from Chip 'nDaleExpress) that you should never ask a transportation question of any Disney person if he/she isn't wearing PURPLE PANTS!

Exactly and never ask dining questions from someone that does not work in dining. I know the CMs want to be helpful, but truly WDW is just too big for them to know about everything and most times the info is wrong, if it is out of their area of expertise.

And even then, you might want to ask three people and see if you get the same answer at least twice.

Disney is huge. The CMs are not necessarily well trained in the details of every process. They learn with experience - so if they are new, they may be wrong - but experience is a double edged sword at a place where things change. Which bus route is BWV/BCV using now? Probably only the dispatcher knows for sure - the monorail attendant at the Magic Kingdom is probably clueless, but in an effort to be helpful, will tell you what it was the last time they rode the bus.

Here's another thing I noticed:

If you are staying DVC you will not get your room top of the day.

I stayed at both BCV and SSR, checking in early in the morning. 10:30 am at BCV and 9:30 am at SSR. Both times they did not have rooms available for me. Whereas, when I stayed last year at Contemporary(on cash), at 9:30 am they had a room available(and it was Marathon weekend). I spoke with a friend who also checked in at 10:30am at the Polynesian (on cash and during March break) and she had a room available.

Do you think it is the case that DVC is just slow to clean rooms?

At SSR I didn't get my room until after 4:00 and I was very upset. I had requested Congress Park and it was still not avaiable when I went to check on it at 4:30pm. At that point I went to the desk and just requested any other room. Got The Paddocks with a pool view, which was OK, but i found it a far walk to Artist Pallette.

Anyone else find this?

Here's another thing I noticed:

If you are staying DVC you will not get your room top of the day.

I stayed at both BCV and SSR, checking in early in the morning. 10:30 am at BCV and 9:30 am at SSR. Both times they did not have rooms available for me. Whereas, when I stayed last year at Contemporary(on cash), at 9:30 am they had a room available(and it was Marathon weekend). I spoke with a friend who also checked in at 10:30am at the Polynesian (on cash and during March break) and she had a room available.

Do you think it is the case that DVC is just slow to clean rooms?

At SSR I didn't get my room until after 4:00 and I was very upset. I had requested Congress Park and it was still not avaiable when I went to check on it at 4:30pm. At that point I went to the desk and just requested any other room. Got The Paddocks with a pool view, which was OK, but i found it a far walk to Artist Pallette.

Anyone else find this?

DVC rooms, except studios, because of their size, take longer to clean. Also, DVC resorts operate at higher occupancy rates than cash resorts, so there is much less chance of having rooms left unoccupied from the previous night. Chances are your rooms at the Contemporary and the Poly were not used the previous night.

When we were at SSR in Deember, we were told to call the # anytime after our room would be ready. At 2:30, as it started to rain, I called the number, and it was ready!!! Yeah!

DVC rooms, except studios, because of their size, take longer to clean. Also, DVC resorts operate at higher occupancy rates than cash resorts, so there is much less chance of having rooms left unoccupied from the previous night. Chances are your rooms at the Contemporary and the Poly were not used the previous night.

Good Point!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter