What if I cancel an ADR in-person, am I charged?

Of course I would ask them, and you do give a good alternative to offset those cancellation charges. But I was looking for the Disney policy on in-person cancellations, and how flexible the cancellation fees are actually applied. Has anyone cancelled an ADR at the podium?

Of course I would ask them, and you do give a good alternative to offset those cancellation charges. But I was looking for the Disney policy on in-person cancellations, and how flexible the cancellation fees are actually applied. Has anyone cancelled an ADR at the podium?
Disney's policy is that you pay the no-show fee unless you cancel 24 hours in advance.

When you cancel the day of, it's a huge PITA for the restaurant staff, so the policy is there to help prevent that.

Disney's policy is that you pay the no-show fee unless you cancel 24 hours in advance.
No, it’s not. There’s no mention of “24 hours” anywhere in any policy. The policy is “the day before,” or, in a select few instances, “two days prior.”

But, yes, I agree that the policy is in place to prevent same day cancellations, and I would expect to be charged for an in-person cancellation on the day of.

No, it’s not. There’s no mention of “24 hours” anywhere in any policy. The policy is “the day before,” or, in a select few instances, “two days prior.”

But, yes, I agree that the policy is in place to prevent same day cancellations, and I would expect to be charged for an in-person cancellation on the day of.
You're right, I misspoke.

I actually knew that policy stuff, and I understand how it relates to phone and website cancellations. I'm talking about face-to-face guests who are on-time for their ADR, but for whatever reason they don't feel like eating. How does Disney accommodate this? Are they really saying "eat the food or eat the cancellation fees"? That doesn't sound like the Mouse.

Does anyone have experience with CMs pulling off some magic and granting a face-to-face cancellation?

Edit: Thanks supersnoop, I just saw your input (you think they'll charge me anyway). I'm still looking for someone who actually has had an experience with this.

Last edited:

I like the idea of if they say you have to pay the cancel fee go in and order a coke. Drink, pay the bill and depart. Nothing in the dining reservation ever said you had to order food.....

I actually knew that policy stuff, and I understand how it relates to phone and website cancellations. I'm talking about face-to-face guests who are on-time for their ADR, but for whatever reason they don't feel like eating. How does Disney accommodate this? Are they really saying "eat the food or eat the cancellation fees"? That doesn't sound like the Mouse.

The policy is the policy...online, phone, face-to-face, etc.

You MAY get some pixie dust occasionally (and I'm sure there have been some), but the policy specifically states "To avoid the penalty, the cancellation must be made up to 11:59pm on the day before the reservation." I certainly wouldn't put myself at the mercy of a cast member to make that decision, given a CLEAR policy.

When I was at WDW in 2013, I had a reso at California Grill but I was so sick that I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it. So I walked up and canceled. I was not charged but I think the hostess could tell I was legit sick.

This is MY experience, so it is not the bible and I wouldn't expect all hostesses to pass on the charge. However, when I went up to cancel there was a lovely couple wanting a reservation but they were all booked up (obviously), so I told them they could have mine. They were so grateful so I think that helped with the situation.

To this day I am so sad I never got to enjoy California Grill... maybe another time :)

In July we had a dinner reservation at BOG, I hadn’t been feeling well that day at MK and was excited to sit down and escape the heat. We got to the host stand and she said the wait was about 45 minutes or more!! I almost thought I was going to throw up at that point my head was pounding etc.. I spoke with my husband and he said just cancel and we would leave and eat at the resort/rest. I walked back to the podium and the CM stated they do have the $10 pp cancellation fee. I asked if she could waive the fee and she had to speak with someone else in charge and in the end they waived it. I think it was more due to the fact they were so far behind and they could’ve used a few cancellations at that point.

We cancelled a dinner in Le Cellier about 3 hours in advance, we had eaten lunch at la Hacienda and I became really ill. (I think it was the heat, NOT the food)
At any rate, the hostess CM took pity on me and waived our fee. But again, I was legitimately ill and probably looked it. We had to leave and go back to our resort.
I think it depends on individual circumstance and just who's manning the desk. I wouldn't count on it though.

It is up to the CM if they want to waive the fee. But they don't have to. Unless you cancel the day before you are to be charged a per person no show fee. Showing up in person the day of doesn't change that.

Not WDW but we were seated at Blue Bayou and my son was feeling unwell, when the waitress came we explained he was not well and she said because we turned up, there was no fee.

P.S. turned out he drank water too fast and had a belly full of wind.

To be honest, I really don't think it is fair to other guest who may be hoping a reservation opens up for you to cancel at the last minute just because you may not feel like eating (of course if you are sick that is entirely different). We have been hoping that something will open up at O'Hanas next Friday and I would hope if you don't think you will use an ADR you would be kind enough to open it up to someone else to use.

What if we show up on time to the ADR, but are just not hungry. Do we have to pay to cancel it?
This is Disney's written policy (emphasis added).

Restaurants offering advance reservations charge a per- person cancellation fee for reservations cancelled after the designated cancellation period, or for no shows. Each restaurant at the Walt Disney World® Resort maintains its own cancellation policy, so be sure to confirm the policy before finalizing your reservation.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/restaurant-reservation-cancellation/

You will receive many different answers, and for better or worse, the answer is, "Depends."

Each establishment has their own policy.

If the place is a pre-paid or buffet - this too will impact the answer.

But my read and experience is that if you arrive at the podium to a typical restaurant (no buffet, no pre-paid), and decline to dine after you have checked-in at the podium, you will not be charged - even if just one member of your original party checks-in.

Unless you are at a prepaid and/or buffet, there is no requirement to order food.

So if you want to be extra-safe, besides asking at the podium for the policy of that establishment, just sit at the table and pay for an iced tea.

If there is ANY doubt ahead of time that your and yours will not make a reservation, I would say do the right thing and don’t hang on to it. (Only to then try and cancel it same day.) Specially for those holding ADR’s to some of the most popular restaurants, at the ideal dining times. There are Threads on the DIS boards that you can coordinate with others that maybe interested in the reservations you are holding. You may be able to make someone’s else’s trip MUCH better with something as simple as an ADR, if you aren’t going to use it pay it forward!

To be honest, I really don't think it is fair to other guest who may be hoping a reservation opens up for you to cancel at the last minute just because you may not feel like eating (of course if you are sick that is entirely different). We have been hoping that something will open up at O'Hanas next Friday and I would hope if you don't think you will use an ADR you would be kind enough to open it up to someone else to use.
This! If you aren't sure you'll "feel like" eating at that place/time, I would stick to walk-ups or making ADRs on the fly as you need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter