What is Pin Trading?

HanCamMom

Earning My Ears
We are taking our two kidos to DL in 12 "more sleeps". You will know what that means if you have preschoolers too!! I read about something called "Pin Trading" with the CMs. I would assume that means if my kids have a pin on their shirt that they can trade their pin with a pin from a CMs shirt. Is that right, and if so what type of pin should it be?
Thanks a Million, Mommy of Hannah & Cameron

Yes that is true. Most people buy a pin trading kit at the shops. Usually with there favorite character or something. Anyway then you can trade with others who have pins if they choose to do so or maybe someone will approach you as well for a trade.

Pin trading is a great way to get kids to interact with CM.

Traditionally pins are worn on a lanyard, but can be worn anywhere. Hats are another good choice. The pins that are traded in Disney are the enamal metal pins with the Disny stamp on the back.

Here is an article with all the ins and outs of pin trading.

http://allearsnet.com/btp/mil_pin.htm

For my kids the big bonus was that they could go into a gift shop, make a trade, and leave! No gimmies, no I wannas, no tears. They felt like the 'got' something :goodvibes so they were happy campers.

We got our starter pins off ebay for about $3 each (look for a lot of 6-10 so s/h doesn't kill ya). With just 6 pins each my kids traded for a week in WDW. They kept trading them untill they hit on one they really liked.

Oh forgot to say, if a CM has a green/teal lanyard on they will ONLY trade with kids under 12. Those are always good people to trade with. If you decide to do it have your child pose for a picture with each CM they trade with, the CM's love this and it is fun to look back at the pictures latter. Makes the pins more meaningful once you get back home.

What is Pin Trading? ADDICTIVE!!!!!

I held out for so long because I knew we would get hooked. Well, we are.

Ebay is the best place for pins. It doesn't matter what the pins are, as long as they are cheap. You just take them to the parks and trade for what you really want.

Visit the Store Command, a trading pin store in Tomorrowland. Ask if they will be having a pin talk for the kids. This is where a CM teaches the kids the etiquette of pin trading. At the end of the talk, the kids get 2 free pins to start their collection. My son really liked it and he is a pin trading expert now. He needs 3 lanyards to hold all of his pins.

>>What is Pin Trading? <<

A bad word in my house ;)

<- owner of over 400 pins and only 20 of them are trader ones :)

Addicted? Yes...

I would recommend getting a beginners set which includes a lanyard and 4 pins for 25ish bucks. But be warned its ADDICTING :) -em

pintrading3py.jpg

Tori, with a goofy look on her face, trading a pin with a CM

I don't "pin trade", since I only buy the ones I like. BUT I do have a couple buddies who, for example, go to WDW more often then I do (which is about once a year). We mail each other pins back and forth from thier WDW trips and from my DL trips! :) It's fun, never knowing what's coming in the mail!

Thank you to all for the advice on the Pin Trading. I went online to buy some pins and lanyards (I have two preschool kids and the thought of buying two $25 starter kits is just too much). The lanyards alone were running about $7-8 each and I thought I read somewhere that is how much they cost individually at the parks, is that true? I don't want to pay $8.00 + shipping and get to the park and find out they only cost $8.00!! Also, how much should a noncollector pin cost? Again my kids are in preschool and we will just be trading for the novelty of it!

You can get a lanyard at any dollar store. It doesn't need to be a disney one. I've heard that Walmart and Clare's both carry disney lanyards for a couple of dollars but for a preschooler, I'd just spend a dollar on one at the local dollar store. Heck, for me I'd just do that too!!
If you go to www.mousepinsonline.com they have pins on sale right now for $1.75 (click on June specials) and they are good for trading. They also sell grab bags of pins. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I've heard they are reliable and good to order from. I plan to get the traders for our trip from there.
What I did on our last trip was give each child (my nieces aged 5 and 8) a pin each morning that they could trade or keep. That gave them something new each day and spread out the pins.
Hope that helps somewhat!
Have fun!
Lydia

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter