What is the best character meal for solo Disney travelers?

JellyMintJames

Mouseketeer
I may be doing the wrong character meals that are more for groups then single diners. So if anyone can tell me that will be great because I want more character interaction time instead of just breezing by me and paying over $$$ for it. You're suggestions will be appreciated. I am planning a 2 week Disney vacation in the August so I want to make the best of it and not be Disappointed. Thank you.

I may be doing the wrong character meals that are more for groups then single diners. So if anyone can tell me that will be great because I want more character interaction time instead of just breezing by me and paying over $$$ for it. You're suggestions will be appreciated. I am planning a 2 week Disney vacation in the August so I want to make the best of it and not be Disappointed. Thank you.

I am personally looking for the same thing, but I hear Tusker House is a good option. Obviously, a solo traveler may not feel as welcome at some of the meals more geared towards families, but I also wouldn't let that stop you if you are into that particular character(when are they going to do a Jack and Sally one, or Aladdin and Jasmine?). I am doing Garden Grill in September. Will be in Epcot that day and have a chance for a late breakfast, but need to find someone to go with.

I am personally looking for the same thing, but I hear Tusker House is a good option. Obviously, a solo traveler may not feel as welcome at some of the meals more geared towards families, but I also wouldn't let that stop you if you are into that particular character(when are they going to do a Jack and Sally one, or Aladdin and Jasmine?). I am doing Garden Grill in September. Will be in Epcot that day and have a chance for a late breakfast, but need to find someone to go with.
Well my trip begins the last week of August and ends the second week of September. Maybe we can do the Garden Grill breakfast together? Depends on when you go in September.

I've never done solo but the character meals where I got the most interaction were Garden Grill (Chip & Dale flirting) and 1900 Park Place (Minnie surprised me while posing for a picture).

I think if you express excitement to see them at the slower venues like Garden Grill they'll respond.

I like the Cape May Cafe character breakfast best as a solo. I find I'm never the only solo there, maybe because of the convention trade in the area. So it seems that the characters are quite comfortable with seeing and interacting with solos. I've also enjoyed Tusker House. What was strange at Crystal Palace as a solo was that that was the only character meal where the first thing the character did was point to the empty chair, look around, and sort of "ask" me (without speaking) about someone with me. He was probably just checking in case there was someone else, but I felt a little uncomfortable, as if maybe he was suggesting that it wasn't normal to be solo.

Tusker, I'd say. The food is good - not just standard buffet food (although they have the standards too). I won't lie, its loud, but phenomenal theming. And how can you not love Mickey et all in pith helmets?! FYI I only know the 'fur' character meals (DS LOVES them, and refuses to go to 'face' meals.) Some day I hope to make it to a princess meal.

I think of all the character meals I've done, the one that was best suited to me as a solo diner was the dinner at 1900 Park Fare. So many of the character meals appeal to families (understandably so), but I've found that children don't really care about the secondary characters at this one -- they're so obsessed with Cinderella and Prince Charming that Lady Tremaine and her two daughters get a bit of the short shrift. Which means as a solo diner you can have some really great interactions with them if you're so inclined. Last time I was there, Lady Tremaine actually sat down at my table and we had a very nice conversation about whether or not I was worthy of marrying her daughters.

I think of all the character meals I've done, the one that was best suited to me as a solo diner was the dinner at 1900 Park Fare. So many of the character meals appeal to families (understandably so), but I've found that children don't really care about the secondary characters at this one -- they're so obsessed with Cinderella and Prince Charming that Lady Tremaine and her two daughters get a bit of the short shrift. Which means as a solo diner you can have some really great interactions with them if you're so inclined. Last time I was there, Lady Tremaine actually sat down at my table and we had a very nice conversation about whether or not I was worthy of marrying her daughters.

Even as a child, and being one of the few boys big on the princesses, I always thought Cinderella overrated, though I get why little girls(like my niece) would be into it. I always favored Ariel, Jasmine, and Belle. Feisty ones that have their own minds.

I'm doing Tusker House at AK. I've read that the food is great,t he characters spend a lot of time with you, and it was recommended as a good place for solo travelers and adults

I loved Garden Grill at Epcot. The food was great and the characters were lots of fun!

Tusker house is one of our favourites

Tusker house is one of our favourites

Since I just added a day at Animal Kingdom to my itinerary, I am going to try and get into Tusker House for a late breakfast/early lunch or late lunch. For some reason, reservations for the end of September are very difficult to get right now, at least for breakfast.

Since I just added a day at Animal Kingdom to my itinerary, I am going to try and get into Tusker House for a late breakfast/early lunch or late lunch. For some reason, reservations for the end of September are very difficult to get right now, at least for breakfast.
Keep trying, people drop their reservations. You can cancel up to 24 hours before at no charge so people will drop right up to the day before because they don't want to pay the fee.

Keep trying, people drop their reservations. You can cancel up to 24 hours before at no charge so people will drop right up to the day before because they don't want to pay the fee.

I am aware. Been planning the December trip for a while. That one is a day at AK, a day at SeaWorld, then a 3 Day Bahamas cruise out of Miami. Keeping a close eye on Be Our Guest for the MK days(MNSSHP and my regular MK day) as well. I have certain characters I am particularly fond of.

that sounds awesome . we just got back from 2 weeks there and we are back in September. Already counting down the days :)

that sounds awesome . we just got back from 2 weeks there and we are back in September. Already counting down the days :)

I was down there last month upgrading tickets, and spent a day at Blizzard Beach and part of a day at SeaWorld. All the time I had, but not a bad introduction to the area.

I've done several character meals alone but it was more of a happy coincidence than planning. Once I was staying at Beach Club and wanted breakfast and when I arrived at Cape May Café I was told it was a character meal and I didn't care I just wanted breakfast. It was pleasant and the characters where entertaining but I didn't take any pictures with them. Living local to Disneyland I really enjoy the buffet at Storytellers at the Grand California and a few times I ended up doing a character breakfast but I didn't care. I usually asks the staff to seat me away from everyone else and they always find a nice spot for me in the corner. Although a few characters didn't see me some did and came over to fun around with me. Another time while visiting Aulani I wanted to enjoy their breakfast buffet and you guessed it was another character breakfast. I had the option of dining at the bar next door but the menu was limited so I enjoyed another solo character breakfast. From my limited experience I would have to say my favorite is the character breakfast at Storytellers for a few reasons. I really enjoy their buffet and some of the characters that come out are a few bears which for some reason scare the younger kids which I find funny and entertaining.

Last edited:
I've done several character meals alone but it was more of a happy coincidence than planning. Once I was staying at Beach Club and wanted breakfast and when I arrived at Cape May Café I was told it was a character meal and I didn't care I just wanted breakfast. It was pleasant and the characters where entertaining but I didn't take any pictures with them. Living local to Disneyland I really enjoy the buffet at Storytellers at the Grand California and a few times I ended up doing a character breakfast but I didn't care. I usually asks the staff to seat me away from everyone else and they always find a nice spot for me in the corner. Although a few characters didn't see me some did and came over to have fun around with me. Another time while visiting Aulani I wanted to enjoy their breakfast buffet and you guessed it was another character breakfast. I had the option of dining at the bar next door but the menu was limited so I enjoyed another solo character breakfast. From my limited experience I would have to say my favorite is the character breakfast at Storytellers for a few reasons. I really enjoy their buffet and some of the characters that come out are a few bears which for some reason scare the younger kids which I find funny and entertaining.

It certainly would be different having regular access. It seems the majority of my plans are going to be take what I can get, being just over 90 days out and a lot of people having taken advantage of the free ddp offer. I definitely would recommend any ADRs someone considers a must being booked at the 180 day mark, and even then you may not get everything.

I've done many character meals solo and other times with other Dis'ers. I wasn't so crazy about doing character meals solo, as it often happens that no character handler or server is available to take your picture when the moment arrives. Most of them are glad to help but they aren't always in the area when the character stops by. But if pictures aren't important to you, or you're content with just selfies, then no issues. BTW you can ask the family at the next table to take your picture and offer them the same, however I usually don't feel comfortable doing this.

I agree with the above recommendations for Cape May Café, Tusker House, Garden Grill (I prefer their breakfast over their lunch/dinner food), and 1900 Park Fare. All of these were good both for interaction and for food, although at Tusker House the characters often are more rushed than I would like. I also agree with @ludari that Storytellers' Café is excellent, although this may not help the OP if he was looking for restaurants at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!