What is your city known for?

I've been skipping this thread because I can't come up with a way to say what my city is famous for without telling you what my city is. I googled some of the more obscure things I thought of and although I had to look a bit was able to make the connections for all of them. So, I'm going to be annoyingly vague....

The school I work in has a lot of famous alumni and has a long history.

Lots of famous people (and regular tourists) visit my city.

Ummmm, Pittsburgh? Aren't you forgetting something? :teeth:

It's the setting (at least in the series, if not the filming location) for Queer as Folk! ::yes:: Now THAT'S something to be famous for! ::yes::

I don't now, but, I have previously lived in the filming location for QAF and loved that I could recognize things while watching it.

The Twin Cities metro area ...

It also gets cold here.

Very cold.

REALLY very cold.

Our average annual temperature over the entire year is 45.4°F (7.4°C), the coldest of any major metropolitan area in the US. It has gotten as cold as -41°, which is -41° no matter which scale you use.:cold:

Did I mention it gets cold here?

It also gets to -41 here...in fact I recall a -55 Christmas Eve.

We also get a LOT of snow and the snowbanks in my front lawn (built by my hand) have covered the top of the tree for the last several years.

The man who invented the "pop top" on the top of a can of pop (or beer!) is from my city.

ALSO, the Wright brothers are from our city. Those folks from NC (wishing you nothing but love!) are really wrong when they claim the Wright brothers. The Wright brothers house is here, their bike shop is here and the area where they practiced learning to fly is here! Buckeyes take the Wright brothers very seriously! We claim them! On a side note, a man who retired from my place of employment used to deliver the news paper to the Wright brothers. Orville used to invite him in to Hawthorn Hill (the name of their house) when he would go to collect for the newspaper. He actually had hot chocolate with Orville Wright.

Also, the man who invented the cash register is from our town. Oh, and the man who invented something to do with self-starters for vehicles. Gotta admit I don't really understand that one very well!

Hematite, I'm going to guess NYC. Lots of famous people visit, it's cold, and I'm guessing you might work at Stuyvesant High School. Maybe NYC is too obvious of a guess, though.

Hematite, I'm going to guess NYC. Lots of famous people visit, it's cold, and I'm guessing you might work at Stuyvesant High School. Maybe NYC is too obvious of a guess, though.

It's a workable guess...except that I will tell you I'm Canadian.

I'm from Plymouth MA. What's it famous for? Well, the town calls itself "America's Home Town". That's a pretty grandiose statement, but it builds on the history of the Pilgrims landing here in 1620. Oh yeah, there's also something about the first Thanksgiving.

Saratoga Springs..."Spa City"

[/IMG]

DP is coming home from a 3 day NYS PTA conference in Saratoga Springs. However, they will be a little late as her traveling companions have to stop in Half Moon for Peppermint Pigs. Never heard of them, told her to get one.

Peppermint Pigs is a Christmas Candy tradition, a pig made of, you guessed it...peppermint.

Seems fairly local.

Toronto? Montreal?

I have previously lived in one of those...but, I'll also tell you that I didn't give you enough info to figure it out...many Canadian locations will match any info that I'll give out on an open forum.

Rochester New York.

-George Eastman, Eastman Kodak Company, University of Rochester and the affiliated Eastman School of Music
-Xerox, while now based in CT was started in Rochester
-Susan B. Anthony
-Frederick Douglas is buried here at Mount Hope Cemetery as is Susan B. Anthony, there are tours
-On the Southern shore of Lake Ontario
-Strong National Museum of Play and the Toy Hall of Fame
-168 miles by land to Toronto; 350 miles from NYC (and 60 miles from Buffalo (in honor of Saxton:goodvibes)

Why thank you! But for Rochester you forgot this stuff:

tagjenny_low.jpg

I don't drink it but some people seem to like it.

Why thank you! But for Rochester you forgot this stuff:

tagjenny_low.jpg

I don't drink it but some people seem to like it.

All right the secret is out. Grab your parkas and come up to Roc for Genny Cream Ale and Zweigle's White hots fresh off the grill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter