What makes a deluxe resort deluxe?

Aflyingbuttress

Mouseketeer
Having never stayed at a deluxe resort I'm wondering what exactly is it that makes them so superior? I don't doubt that they are superior, but I'd like to hear more specifics. Is it just that the rooms are nicer and more spacious? What else?

We're staying at POR in a preferred room for 7 nights and I can upgrade to garden/woods view at BC or YC for $600 and I'm wondering if it's worth it. What would I be getting for that money?

Balconies or patios (most but not all rooms), location, more transportation options (some not all), interior halls, larger rooms, more dining options

According to the latest posts on the Wilderness Lodge thread.. worn out rooms and bathrooms filled with bugs.

So I am not sure anymore what the difference is between a budget and a deluxe.

Our deluxe booking argument: Larger rooms!

I think this is so important. Many people state that they need the room only for showering and sleeping. This is a valid point for many, yes, but personally I do not like to feel cramped on vacation. I had a little problem at POP and ASSp that the bed was so close to the door. So this means your head is close to the door while sleeping. That gave me an insecure feeling, mixed with the outside corridors which made me feel like in a motel.

Unfortunately staying deluxe means opening the wallet. I would never pay like 800$ for a deluxe room during peak season, because I do not want to support Disney in this way (I know, high demand makes the price). When I compare my few Disney stays the deluxe resorts feel more "vacation", the stays in values felt a little like a school excursion, but better a value then no Disney ;-). There's something for most budgets at Disney

GF is our favorite resort, but with that being said, we have picked a Mod over a deluxe MANY times because for us we could not justify the big $$ difference. But at less then a $100 per night price difference, like you have, we would probably do it if our budget allowed:) It depends what is important to you and your family, if you are at the parks most of the time then why pay for amenities that you will not use. We spend more time at the resort now then we use to but when we are at the resort we do not spend that much time in the room, so the balcony, although really nice, is not a big plus for us (except AKL savannah view). WDW resorts is probably the only time we much prefer an outdoor corridor, we just like opening our door and being outside. GF rooms felt real big but we actually thought the rooms at WL and AKL felt smaller then a Mod room because of the hallway when you enter takes up a lot of room. While at the resort we will eat more at the QS then a TS and find the Mods QS much better then at a deluxe. We really like the deluxe resorts that have multiple transportation options, to us that's a big plus. Location? We have found we can get to the parks from every resort and saving 10-20 minutes is not a big deal for us.
Again at $600 more this may be a great time to try a deluxe or split the difference and do a split stay. I always tell people to give it a try so they will know first hand whether it is worth it to them.

A lot of really great responses here. We are not going to spend full days in the park. We will do half days and then spend half the day at the resort. I want to minimize walking because I'm disabled and YC and BC look like smaller properties. We are also kind of foodies so good food is important to us, but we don't always want to invest the time in a TS meal. We're going in January and we'd probably make use of the balcony more than warmer times of the year. We'd also make more sue of the kids club with them being right on property.

Sounds like it may be worth it. $600 across the whole trip doesn't seem too bad. But that is also pushing us right to the edge of our budget. I'm torn between upgrading and going all out for a luxury vacation and downgrading to a value and saving a ton of money!

A lot of really great responses here. We are not going to spend full days in the park. We will do half days and then spend half the day at the resort. I want to minimize walking because I'm disabled and YC and BC look like smaller properties. We are also kind of foodies so good food is important to us, but we don't always want to invest the time in a TS meal. We're going in January and we'd probably make use of the balcony more than warmer times of the year. We'd also make more sue of the kids club with them being right on property.

Sounds like it may be worth it. $600 across the whole trip doesn't seem too bad. But that is also pushing us right to the edge of our budget. I'm torn between upgrading and going all out for a luxury vacation and downgrading to a value and saving a ton of money!

BC is our favorite resort! If it's in the budget I would upgrade.

Based on your post, you will probably have less walking at POR since you have a preferred room and they are very close to everything there. I know at BC if you get a room at the end of a hallway, it's a long walk. I would definitely request a room close to lobby if you stay at BC or YC.

We do midday breaks by the pool and had a great time doing this when we stayed at CBR. We've also stayed at the Poly and BC. BC pool is amazing and you can't beat the walk to Epcot. Plus so many food choices with Epcot right there. Next trip it's just DD and myself and her favorite park at the moment is DHS so I'm thinking of doing BWV since it's the closest to DHS. I really prefer the Epcot area over the MK area which is surprising to me because MK is my favorite park!! I just like the vibe of the Epcot area resorts. If it's in the budget I would always pick deluxe over a mod.

For us, while never staying in a Deluxe before, it'll be space. We're a family of 5. We stayed at CBR in a pirate room before and it was fine, but our kids were 2, 7, and 8 at the time. They're now 7, 13, and 14 so I do think we'll need the extra space.

Based on your post, you will probably have less walking at POR since you have a preferred room and they are very close to everything there. I know at BC if you get a room at the end of a hallway, it's a long walk. I would definitely request a room close to lobby if you stay at BC or YC.

I can attest to this at YC as well. My last stay I was at the end of the hallway, and my fitness tracker registered it as over a .15 mile walk from lobby to room. Needless to say, I got a LOT of extra steps in that trip!

Am I right in thinking that only the deluxes have splash pads at the pools for kids? Although, not all of the deluxes, I can't picture one at BW or OKW, but my mind might be deceiving me!

Generally, deluxes are conveniently located for at least one park, or Disney Springs.

Also, supposed to have more retail and dining options, including signature TS.

And larger rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter