What should I budget for tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXmouse

Mouseketeer
We're on the DDP and are there for 9 nights.

We will eat breakfast in our room at least half the time. All other meals are out.

We will pay OOP for a couple meals and try and stretch our dining credits the rest of the time.

What should we budget for tips? Does $40-$50 a day sound about right?

$45 x 9 = $405. (Just on tips? Crazy!)

ETA we are four people, DH, myself, DD (11) and DS (9).

I should clarify I meant meal tips. We also plan to bring cash for bell service, housekeeping, etc.

Last edited:
Sounds low honestly. I don't know how many are in your party. I plan 20% across the board for restaurants, and then take another 50 in 1's and 5's with me for small tips at the airport, bell services, etc.

I was a waiter for years in a prior life though, I've been told I lean towards the generous end of the spectrum. I often leave 30% tips for outstanding service.

edit: Upon reflection, it's probably enough, that's just 1 TS meal a night.

We're on the DDP and are there for 9 nights.

We will eat breakfast in our room at least half the time. All other meals are out.

We will pay OOP for a couple meals and try and stretch our dining credits the rest of the time.

What should we budget for tips? Does $40-$50 a day sound about right?

$45 x 9 = $405. (Just on tips? Crazy!)

We need to know the make up of your party to give you a better idea. Also need to know if you plan to order alcohol or just regular drinks. If alcohol, how many? Do you anticipate ordering any apps as well?

I updated my first post. Four people... 3 Disney adults, one child. I was thinking $250/ day for food x 20%, backing out a little for eating in room etc.

Since you normally tip 20% the easy way to figure out how much to carry for tips is to take the total price of the dining plan's cost for the amt of people and days you'll be there and figure out 20% of that.

I updated my first post. Four people... 3 Disney adults, one child. I was thinking $250/ day for food x 20%, backing out a little for eating in room etc.

Well, you don't tip for QS, only TS. I know from your other post you may share some meals, but let's assume you're not.

So if the 3 Disney adults "spend" the $40 average per TS and the child gets the $10 kid's meal, you're spending $130 per TS. 20% of that is $26, so your $45 is a bit high.

My rule of thumb is $5 per adult and $2 per child under 18.
I'd say make it an even $15 per table service meal.
If you're on the DDP then you'll be getting one table service meal per day so that would only be $15 per day in meal tips unless you choose to have more table service meals per day in which case you may actually want to consider upgrading to the DxDP.

This thread is closed. There is a sticky thread on the main board for tipping mecy. Personal tipping habits is not a topic for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!