What should we not miss -- food related

The Mickey waffles at Whitewater Snacks are really good - 3 mini waffles with strawberry compote and maple syrup. :cloud9:

Do you know if they have allergy safe Mickey waffles there? Is the maple syrup the real thing or awful fake syrup?

Is the maple syrup the real thing or awful fake syrup?
I have never had them so I don't know, but I would be shocked (and elated) if it's real maple syrup. In my experience it's extremely rare to find the real stuff at a restaurant and I wouldn't expect a quick service snack place at Disneyland to be the one place that has it. I mean I get it, it's expensive to stock and a lot of people don't care, but I just end up skipping syrup most places because I can't stand the fake kind.

I have never had them so I don't know, but I would be shocked (and elated) if it's real maple syrup. In my experience it's extremely rare to find the real stuff at a restaurant and I wouldn't expect a quick service snack place at Disneyland to be the one place that has it. I mean I get it, it's expensive to stock and a lot of people don't care, but I just end up skipping syrup most places because I can't stand the fake kind.

I’m from Quebec where maple syrup is a really serious business (we are the #1 producer in the world) so if on a menu here it says maple syrup, it’s the real thing. Some places they offer the real for extra $ and I usually pay as I cannot stand what we call pancake syrup. I guess you’re right that it would be shocking if a CS place had the real syrup. One day I will bring my own little bottle to taste Mickey waffle with maple syrup (medium).

I’m from Quebec where maple syrup is a really serious business (we are the #1 producer in the world) so if on a menu here it says maple syrup, it’s the real thing. Some places they offer the real for extra $ and I usually pay as I cannot stand what we call pancake syrup. I guess you’re right that it would be shocking if a CS place had the real syrup. One day I will bring my own little bottle to taste Mickey waffle with maple syrup (medium).
After I wrote that post I went to look at the menu for White Water Snacks and it just says "syrup," so I don't have high hopes. I've made a mental note to bring maple syrup with me if I ever stay at GCH though. And another mental note to visit Quebec.

I can't believe no one mentioned the cozy cones! We LOVED those. Albeit, we aren't true foodies, but it was our fav snack! Loved the bacon mac n cheese!
19665412_10155194548859473_5673215112580327456_n.jpg

Everyone should try a corn dog from the Little Red Wagon once in their lifetime. I hate corn dogs, but the Little Red Wagon corn dogs are amazingly good.

Other stuff we like:
  • chocolate milk shakes at Flo's
  • my YDD loves the ribs at Flo's
  • my DH likes Dole Whip floats
  • beinets in NOS
  • soup or stew in a bread bowl at the French Market
  • my kids love the pulled pork sandwich at the French Market, but YDD eats just the meat because she's picky and hates bread.
  • Walt's chili at Carnation Cafe
I'm weird, but stuff I hated:
  • Monte Cristo sandwich at Blue Bayou
  • fried pickles at Carnation Café
  • YDD hated the spaghetti on the kid's menu at Blue Bayou. Not enough marinara sauce and she thought the marinara sauce was very bland.

We are WDW regulars who took our first DL trip this week.
Food and good meals are also very important for our vacations.

Napa Rose: I think this depends on your experiences. We are lucky enough to eat fine dining meals in many places. Napa Rose pales in comparison. It isn't even close to WDW's Victoria and Alberts. We did the chef's counter, which I think was a mistake. The reason I say it depends on your experiences is because the couple sitting next to us were absolutely gushing about the food. (We were not served the same things so maybe it was just super bad luck on our part, but I don't think that is the case. The couple next to us were younger, and I think less experienced with fine dining). The fish was overcooked. I was served a second course that came off as "cheap" (potato and artichoke fritter with roasted vegetables), which would have been forgivable if it had flavor. My husband thinks they forgot to season it. Service-wise we were surprised my uneaten fritters were whisked way without comment or concern. I was served "medium rare" filet mignon that had to be sent back as it was so over done that it lacked any pink whatsoever. They were gracious about redoing the dish, but it made for an awkward eating experience as my husband had his dish served to him normally and then we had to wait for mine.

Since you say you are foodies I think you should be warned. If going to Napa Rose, I would advise you to go with the regular menu. The chef counter does offer a good view of the kitchen which was entertaining since we like that sort of thing. So I would say chef counter might be acceptable if you like watching kitchens. My husband was also amused and dismayed at watching the pass and all the food going out unchecked by the chef de cuisine. He was not surprised that my steak was overcooked; the chef never looked at it. She DID check the second one which was tasty but nothing special.
I think the large size of Napa Rose hurts the quality and consistency of the food.
In essence, for what it is versus what it is supposed to be, Napa Rose falls short.

As a side note, on two separate occasions after our meal we spoke with locals about Disneyland and both said Napa Rose isn't very good.

On the other hand, Blue Bayou, for what it is, meets expectations and is good. I'm not saying the food is better at Blue Bayou than Napa Rose, but in terms of in-park dining Blue Bayou does a good job, while Napa Rose fails as a out-of-park fine dining experience.

Napa Rose: I think this depends on your experiences. We are lucky enough to eat fine dining meals in many places. Napa Rose pales in comparison. It isn't even close to WDW's Victoria and Alberts. We did the chef's counter, which I think was a mistake. The reason I say it depends on your experiences is because the couple sitting next to us were absolutely gushing about the food. (We were not served the same things so maybe it was just super bad luck on our part, but I don't think that is the case. The couple next to us were younger, and I think less experienced with fine dining). The fish was overcooked. I was served a second course that came off as "cheap" (potato and artichoke fritter with roasted vegetables), which would have been forgivable if it had flavor. My husband thinks they forgot to season it. Service-wise we were surprised my uneaten fritters were whisked way without comment or concern. I was served "medium rare" filet mignon that had to be sent back as it was so over done that it lacked any pink whatsoever. They were gracious about redoing the dish, but it made for an awkward eating experience as my husband had his dish served to him normally and then we had to wait for mine.

Since you say you are foodies I think you should be warned. If going to Napa Rose, I would advise you to go with the regular menu. The chef counter does offer a good view of the kitchen which was entertaining since we like that sort of thing. So I would say chef counter might be acceptable if you like watching kitchens. My husband was also amused and dismayed at watching the pass and all the food going out unchecked by the chef de cuisine. He was not surprised that my steak was overcooked; the chef never looked at it. She DID check the second one which was tasty but nothing special.
I think the large size of Napa Rose hurts the quality and consistency of the food.
In essence, for what it is versus what it is supposed to be, Napa Rose falls short.

As a side note, on two separate occasions after our meal we spoke with locals about Disneyland and both said Napa Rose isn't very good.

On the other hand, Blue Bayou, for what it is, meets expectations and is good. I'm not saying the food is better at Blue Bayou than Napa Rose, but in terms of in-park dining Blue Bayou does a good job, while Napa Rose fails as a out-of-park fine dining experience.

How so ironic, for my personal experience is the polar opposite of yours. As a result, I most definitely and highly at that, recommend the Chef's Counter at the Napa Rose. And do not recommend the Blue Bayou any longer after my most unpleasant, to say the least, dining travesty there several weeks ago now.

As a side note, on two separate occasions after our meal we spoke with locals about Disneyland and both said Napa Rose isn't very good...

Did you speak with the manager or the chef about your complaints? Did you leave a comment with City Hall or use the website to leave a comment about your experience at Napa Rose? It is important that you report what happened and why you were dissatisfied with your food and your dining experience. Be specific about what went wrong and how it could have gone better. It is important that Disney management know about experiences like yours. Your comments can help improve the restaurant's performance and can help future guests' experience.

...Is the maple syrup the real thing or awful fake syrup?

Most places, Disney or not, offer what is called "pancake syrup." If a menu lists "maple syrup," it should clearly state that it is real and you probably will see an upcharge, too. With all the complaints and flack Disney gets about their pricing, I would be very surprised to see real maple syrup on any of their menus (except maybe at Napa Rose as an ingredient?) as a regular item.

Last edited:
You've had some good recommendations. I recently made a quick video of my "must get" Disneyland treats that I share with friends and family when they ask for recommendations...

Here it is:

Moral of the story... The Churro Funnel cake is SO good! And with all the treats I recommend sharing with friends, this helps with the cost and makes it so you don't get sick full on one thing.

Did you speak with the manager or the chef about your complaints? Did you leave a comment with City Hall or use the website to leave a comment about your experience at Napa Rose? It is important that you report what happened and why you were dissatisfied with your food and your dining experience. Be specific about what went wrong and how it could have gone better. It is important that Disney management know about experiences like yours. Your comments can help improve the restaurant's performance and can help future guests' experience.

Most places, Disney or not, offer what is called "pancake syrup." If a menu lists "maple syrup," it should clearly state that it is real and you probably will see an upcharge, too. With all the complaints and flack Disney gets about their pricing, I would be very surprised to see real maple syrup on any of their menus (except maybe at Napa Rose as an ingredient?) as a regular item.

They use real maple syrup at Steakhouse 55. I actually hate real maple syrup and was glad I ordered a dish that really didn't need syrup (the brioche french toast filled with berries and custard).

I’m used to WDW sending me a survey after the trip. Is disneyland different?

I’m used to WDW sending me a survey after the trip. Is disneyland different?

The surveys are not sent to everyone at DLR. If you send a comment to Guest Services via the website (use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page), it will go to the appropriate department and copies will be sent to the right supervisors and managers. You may get a personal response either by phone or email asking if you want to discuss the matter in more detail. Definitely let Disney and NR know about your experience. It is important to keep them on their toes.

They use real maple syrup at Steakhouse 55. I actually hate real maple syrup and was glad I ordered a dish that really didn't need syrup (the brioche french toast filled with berries and custard).

This is good to know. LOL. You're like me in reverse. Since I only like maple syrup, I usually order something that lets me avoid pancake syrup (like Swedish pancakes at The Original Pancake House) so that I don't have to deal with the "is it real?" syrup question.

Last edited:
The food is such a huge part of the fun!
I'd go to Blue Bayou again just for the atmosphere. The food isn't bad - it's just too expensive for what it is. But you can't beat the atmosphere.
The things we gotta have at Disneyland:
churros
poutine, Gaston's Famous Brew, and the grey stuff at Red Rose Tavern
Dole Whip
Matterhorn Macaroon
Monte Cristo
The things we gotta have at DCA:
more churros
beer or a shake with a turkey dip while enjoying the view of the highway
mac n' cheese cone and a pair of dice or Doc's wild grape tonic from the Cozy Cone
Next time we'll try:
a corndog
Carnation Cafe
a twist from Maurice's Treats
pomme frites
We're hoping we can still get lobster nachos from the Cove Bar
I love everything mentioned above!! I too like BB: we wait for a requested table by the water (worth the wait) and we have never been disappointed in the food. BUT. . . I maybe the only one, but I LOVE the pickle popcorn at the Cozy Cones in DCA!!

I'm heading to Disneyland with my 22 year old daughter. We are both "foodies."

We are not really planning to do table service restaurants while at Disneyland and California Adventure. We are interested in food crawling through both parks.

What do you consider the "must eat" foods at both parks? Where can I find them? Do you have pictures?

Thank you!
My mom and I (22 as well!) are also going to DL for the first time this year! Have fun!

We didn’t have that experience at Blue Bayou.
Neither have we. We've done BB twice and it has been a great experience both times.
I haven’t seen this mentioned but the veggie sub at award wieners is one of my 4 must do’s every trip.
This is one of the things I want to try on our upcoming trip! I am not a hot dog person but DD and DH are, the veggie sub does sound good :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!