What size villa with an infant?

Studio or 1 bedroom for 2 adults and one infant?

• Studio

• One bedroom

Results are only viewable after voting.

megrod74

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Our next trip will be with our first baby and I don't know what size room to get. A studio would obviously save us some points but I'm wondering if the one bedroom would be worth it for convenience.
Any thoughts?

Get a 1 bedroom. We went with our 1yr DS in September and having the living room was great. My son would take his naps in the bedroom, while my wife and I watched tv in the living room. It also gave my son more space to move around.

Only you can decide if the convenience is worth the extra points. The extra points buy you:

washer & dryer right in the room (big advantage as you can pack less)
2 TVs
separate room for naps
Extra large closet (off master bedroom)
Jacuzzi tub with vanity & sink (in a room separate from room with the shower & toilet & small sink)
Fullly equipped kitchen (full size refrigerator plus stove & dishwasher)

IMHO, the 1 bedroom is very worth it, especially since with a little one, you seem to spend more time in the room.

Best wishes -

I definitely think the washer and dryer and an extra room would be invaluable with an infant. I sure would think the extra points are worth the convenience! If it was me, I'd stay in a 1 bedroom, but then, I don't care much for studios.

My son loved the jacuzzi tub. It was like having his own personal kiddie pool.

I'm a relatively new mom -- DS is 18 months old. Is is SO worth it to get an extra bedroom when you have a baby. When baby naps or goes to bed early (DS sleeps by 7:30 pm), you and hubby can watch TV or talk or do whatever without concern about disrupting the baby. When we first travelled with DS (at 5 months) we did the single hotel room deal, with lights out by 7:30 pm (because a happy baby is a baby who gets to stay with his nap and bedtime routine); DH and I took turns reading in the bathroom or in the hotel lounge. Never again. It made our trip way more miserable than necessary.

Scotch said:
I'm a relatively new mom -- DS is 18 months old. Is is SO worth it to get an extra bedroom when you have a baby. When baby naps or goes to bed early (DS sleeps by 7:30 pm), you and hubby can watch TV or talk or do whatever without concern about disrupting the baby. When we first travelled with DS (at 5 months) we did the single hotel room deal, with lights out by 7:30 pm (because a happy baby is a baby who gets to stay with his nap and bedtime routine); DH and I took turns reading in the bathroom or in the hotel lounge. Never again. It made our trip way more miserable than necessary.

I agree with the opinion above. It is extra points, but huddling in the bathroom or staring at the wall in the dark from 7:30 on every night ins't the most satisfying way to spend a vacation. I did that earlier this year (not at WDW) and I was glad we were only on the road for 2 nights! It's not something we had really thought through until we were there in the standard hotel room and realized lights out for baby meant lights out for us too.

I love studios.

that say with an infant who needs his sleep go with the 1-bedroom.

the only problem would be giving him a bath.

OKW has a gigantic tub.

but I think the other DVC resorts have a more reasonable tub in the bathroom.

I wouldn't bring a child to WDW at all until he or she is at least four or so, but that's just me.

I would play it safe and get the one bedroom, since your baby isn't actually here yet. Some babies are *very* easy going. Some babies can sleep anywhere, anytime. You can have lights on, watch t.v., do whatever and they snooze away for hours. My daughter was one such baby. She was born *extremely* premature (weighed a pound at birth) and spent nine months in the NICU. While it was a horrible, horrible experience I never want to repeat, I can tell you that when she came home she could and did sleep through anything and everything. Seriously, she would be playing and then just suddenly *zonk*, fall asleep on the floor in the middle of the day with people all over the place, vacuums running, me standing one foot away on the phone . :earseek: She never even had her own bedroom until her brother was born, and even now usually cosleeps with us. We very easily could share a studio with her without a single inconvience to us.

Then came "the boy". :rotfl: We joke and say that all the moon's must align properly for him to sleep. Where DD could sleep anywhere, the boy *must* have a full-sized crib. No pack and plays for him! He also must have complete quiet, and dark, and cotton sheets, and cotton pajamas with buttons and not zippers. :rotfl: It would be a completely miserable experience to attempt to go anywhere with him in a studio. It really would ruin the quality of our vacation. :)

Have fun!!!! The first trip with a new babe is always exciting!
:-)

My wife would never have tolerated the 1-bedroom with an infant. She wanted that critter right in the room with her, surgically grafted on if possible. So make sure that both of you are OK with the idea of the infant sleeping in a different room.

A year from now is a different story. Once the critter is sleeping through the night, you'll love being able to put your kid to bed without dousing all the lights.

Our son will be two in January; by then he will have been to wdw 6 times. WDW is wonderful with young children. Just go at their pace and not worry about trying to see anything in particular. That's why we have dvc.

Listen. Get the one-bedroom. If you haven't traveled a lot with a baby you don't know this so much yet, but you are going to really appreciate these things:
washer and drier. You'll be surprised to find you use it.
Dishwasher. This is as important as the washer and drier. I don't know how people deal with bottles, sippy cups, etc. in regular hotel rooms. Not to mention just running it with chew toys, etc. that get icky during the day.
Big tub. Really nice for baths.
Extra space. Another room for the little one to take a nap.
The bigger fridge doesn't hurt at all, either.

You don't have to let the baby sleep in the living room. The pack and play fits just fine in the master bedroom along with the bed, so it is easy to get up for feedings, etc. But you have the flexibility for the baby to take a nap in a quiet room while you are still up in the other room. You can easily slide the pack n play from the living room to the bedroom without breaking it down.

One other thing. Bring some extra sheets. Just go to toys r us or something like that, they have pack n play size sheets. They also have pack n play pads that make it more comfortable, we had good experience with those. You are going to be amazed by how much stuff you bring with you. The extra space is good for putting all that stuff in.

The only trouble is, once you get used to the 1-bedroom it is going to be tough to go back to studios.

We took our then 5-month old for the first time in September and I cannot stress enough how thankful we were to have the 1BR. Some reasons:

1 - the refrigerator, microwave, etc. made storing and freezing milk a BREEZE and SO convenient!

2 - The laundry facilities! This was the ultimate! We were able to pack SO LITTLE -- especially being that we knew we'd be lugging a travel system for Amelia. We did laundry every night and it was WONDERFUL! So incredibly convenient.

3 - While our little princess was napping in her pack n play in the master bedroom, DH and I had some alone time in the living room. Napping, watchign movies, snacking on our dinign out leftovers that we were able to easily reheat....AWESOME!

4 - I took full advantage of the jacuzzi tub during my baby's naps. I even had DH feed me a BW Bakery dessert while I relaxed in the bubbles! It is one of my favorite moments from the trip!

After staying in studios when it was just me and DH, I honestly don't think we could ever travel with our baby and not have the 1BR.

p.s. -- you can check out my trip report at:
http://www.kings.edu/mfpriebe/Amelia/6months/disney01SUN.htm

My wife would never have tolerated the 1-bedroom with an infant. She wanted that critter right in the room with her, surgically grafted on if possible. So make sure that both of you are OK with the idea of the infant sleeping in a different room.

My 18 month old still sleeps in the same room with us. The purpose of the one bedroom isn't to sleep in seperate rooms, but to give us seperate living areas so that when he is sleeping before we go to bed, or taking a nap, the whole place doesn't have to dark and silent for the baby to be able to sleep. :sunny:

We stayed at VWL with our 18 month old in AUgust. We had a studio and it was fine. More than enough room. We would put her to sleep in the pack n play and go out to the balcony for a glass (or 2!) of wine. We are going back in Feb. and were going to go to 1 bedroom but changed our minds. Our DD also is a good sleeper so we didn't have to worry about being overly quiet, so that might factor into your decision but I say-save points and make another trip!

rjthkids said:
My 18 month old still sleeps in the same room with us. The purpose of the one bedroom isn't to sleep in seperate rooms, but to give us seperate living areas so that when he is sleeping before we go to bed, or taking a nap, the whole place doesn't have to dark and silent for the baby to be able to sleep. :sunny:

Yes...us too.
Amelia is 6-months old and still sleeps in the same room as us. Having the two separate living areas ensures that we dnt' have to sit in silence or dark at 8pm while she is sleeping. We can carry on as we like in the other villa areas -- watchign tv, doing laundry, soaking in the jacuzzi tub, sitting on our balcony, etc.

It is very nice!

Absolutely, go with the 1 bedroom. Anna-Jewell was 2 months old for her first trip to VB this summer and the space of a 2 bedroom was fabulous!! Granted she has two older brothers. I wouldn't consider a studio for the arguments made above, tuck the little one in and mom and dad can stay up in the living area and do whatever makes them happy.

AnnaJ won't have her first Disney trip until July of next year- cannot wait!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

SnowWitch said:
Absolutely, go with the 1 bedroom. Anna-Jewell was 2 months old for her first trip to VB this summer and the space of a 2 bedroom was fabulous!! Granted she has two older brothers. I wouldn't consider a studio for the arguments made above, tuck the little one in and mom and dad can stay up in the living area and do whatever makes them happy.

AnnaJ won't have her first Disney trip until July of next year- cannot wait!!! Enjoy your trip!!!

I love your daughter's name - I have two aunts, Anna and Jewell, and we had considered that name if we had a girl.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter