What to do on our non-Disney day???

ErinJill

Earning My Ears
We'll be at DL for 6 days in July. We are planning to spend 5 days at DLR, but then we want to take one day and do something else. We looked at Universal, but we are taking my sisters, one of whom is terrified of Dinosaurs and Monkeys. I'm afraid we'll have to skip too much at Universal (ie, Jurassic Park, the Tram, Back to the Future) because little sis won't want to go. We also thought about Sea World, but we don't want to stay the night in San Diego. Is it feasible to drive down in the morning, hang out all day and then drive home at night? Or would this be crazy??

Another thought is that my sisters have never seen the ocean. I don't really know if I want to spend a whole day at the beach, but maybe that would be an option...

Any tips/advice?

Santa Monica pier is nice. It's got rides and a mall not too far up the street. It's a good place to go to the beach.

We usually spend our off days at the beach. Newport is my favorite and its a great way to give your feet a rest from all the walking at the parks.

It's certainly NOT crazy to drive down to San Diego in the morning spend the day at SeaWorld then drive back. It's a long drive and staying over would be ideal if possible but we never have and we went to SeaWorld a few times back in 2004. I'd say go for SeaWorld... :thumbsup2

Thanks for your replies!! I'm glad simba_one said it's not crazy to drive to Sea World for the day! I would really like to go there and I think my sisters would like it! One of my sisters is really into animals and wants to be a vet, so I think she would love it there!

I think the beach and Santa Monica also look neat...I kind of think we are leaning toward Sea World though. It looks like the drive down is kind of on the coast line - is it really or am I just reading that map wrong?? Even if we don't go to the beach for a day, I would kind of like my sisters to at least see the ocean :)

Much of the drive is along the coast. Once you get to the San Onofre area, you'll be right along the coast until the Oceanside area, though from there on, you'll still catch glimpses of it.

can't recommend a beach day enough. My boys enjoyed the beach as much as dl. Even added extra time for another beach day. There are so many wonderful beaches near where you are. It is also a nice way to recharge (lay low).

Fav beaches- Newport is very nice and not far.

Hunington beach lots of surfers to watch and very close.

Santa Monica a bit of a drive but a great pier.

Venice not as far of a drive as Santa Monica but great freaky people watching.

We spent a day in Sea World when we were visiting dl. We went on a Sunday about 9 in the morning and it took us about 1 1/2 hrs. to get there, which isn't too bad. Coming home we left around 4 and it took about 2 hours to get back to the hotel. There was alot more traffic, but it was no biggie, the kids slept most of the way, and we stopped in a little beach town (can't remember the name) and let them play at the beach for a little while.
Have fun!
Katie
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :wizard: princess: princess:

I LOVE Santa Monica! Whenever I fly into LAX I make it a point to stop there before doing anything else. The beach is beautiful, the pier is full of activity (it even has a mini amusement park), and the Promenade is a lot of fun. There are always street performers on the promenade offering up free entertainment and lots of great restaurants and shops within walking distance of the beach. It's a great way to enjoy a day off site, although it is a bit of a drive from Anaheim.

Deffinately try to squeeze in a beach day, the Pacific is gorgeous (even if it is a bit chilly) and nothing beats catching some rays on a beautiful beach in Southern California, in my opinion.

I live down here.. so here are my recomendations... here are some.

Seaworld = apx 1.5 hours GREAT TIME FOR ALL!!!!!

Hollywood = (if you have never been you will love it) apx 45 minutes

Santa Monica = Rubbish Do NOT GO THERE! apx 50 min

Newport = Beautiful, relaxing ... great times apx 30 min

Magic Mountain (valencia, CA) = 1.5 hours THE best amusment Park around

How old are your kids? Legoland is just north of San Diego and a great park! You can spend a few nights down there and get in the Zoo, Legoland, and Seaworld. LaJolla is a BEAUTIFUL town and you can go on the beach there too. Lunch at the cliffside cafe in Laguna on your way down is one of the nicest views anywhere ! Another suggestion, drive straight down sunset blvd. in hollywood and it dead ends into Gladstones restaurant...right on the beach, outdoor eating, kids can spend some time on the beach. Also I agree Magic Mountain is one of the greatest parks ever! There is a water park (Hurricane Harbor) there too. TONS to do in southern california!!!

We drove down to SeaWorld and on the way we stopped and took pictures on the beach. We spend all day at SeaWorld and then drove home. If you go say hello to the dolphins for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter