What to do.......??

Tess2016

Earning My Ears
We are new to all this. We have never done a ABD tour nor a DCL cruise.
Based on the current situation with cruising, would it be wise to cancel our Mediterranean cruise early next June and move it over to a land only tour later in the summer with ABD? We are currently booked for an ABD short escape as well as an embedded ABD on our cruise so my husband and I wonder if a land only ABD tour to Italy, Spain or Greece later in the season would be the smarter thing to do as to avoid the possibility of further cruise cancellations or changes to the cruise? We are just perplexed as no one knows what the upcoming months will bring but we are thinking a land only tour may have more of a possibility of travel than a cruise. Any thoughts?

Unless you can get your money back now, you’ll probably have to just let your reservation stand and make the decision closer to next year. As you said, no one knows what will happen with COVID. I moved my ABD Budapest Short Escape and ABD Danube River Cruise to July 2021 when it was cancelled this year. I’ve already decided that I won’t book another international trip until 2022 if my July one gets cancelled. If we have a second wave of the virus, whether or not ABD can run the 2021 trips will depend on whether Europe is allowing US visitors and what additional requirements they institute. It won’t matter if that is on a cruise ship or land tour. I understand your thinking that a land tour may have a greater chance of happening because it involves less people. However, it may ease your mind that some of the cruise lines have formed a task force to determine what cruising will look like when it returns. For what it’s worth, I read an article today that quoted Carnival Cruise Line as saying they didn’t expect to be back to cruising capacity until 2022. Who knows if that will be the case for DCL.

Last edited:
My personal opinion - if you want to invest money in 2021 travel, no matter where it is, pick something with the most flexible cancellation policy. As you mention, no one knows what the upcoming months will bring.

I wish we all had a crystal ball because I am perplexed by similar questions!! Had a Tauck Bridge Italy tour for this July. Original thought is to move it to next July. But the more days that go by the more I realize what other posters have stated - while things may be "better" will they be better enough that I am comfortable traveling internationally? Or will Europe even let Americans in then? I am leaning towards probably not in summer 2021, maybe fall. I hate to wait 2 more years to get to Italy so I am hoping I am completely wrong and we are all criss-crossing the world next summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter