What was HORIZONS at EPCOT ?

zahi

Earning My Ears
I visited WDW with my wife back in 1991 and can't seem to remember whether we have experienced Horizons in EPCoT or not.We visited again 10 years later with our two kids but Horizons was closed indefinitely....

I have very hazy & sketchy memory of a ride through a desert landscape as well as through a settlement under the sea ??

Can someone of the veterans explain that attraction in some details to refresh our memories...

thanks

Horizons is the sequel to the Carrousel of Progress, and opened at Epcot on the 1st October 1982. Much of the early planning for Horizons was done by Walt Disney himself, although it didn't open until more than a decade after his death.

Prior to opening, Horizons went through several concept changes. Originally during the planning stages it was going to be known as Century 3 and then Futureprobe, but eventually the name Horizons was settled on.

Within Horizons the guest is taken on a journey from the Science Fiction of the recent past through the eyes of authors like Jules Verne in the 1920s, then on to the SciFi comic books of the 1930s and the start of the TV era in the 1950s, with the futuristic Popular Mechanics magazine articles.

Further into the ride two giant OmniSphere screens show what scientists and explorers are discovering now, which will be the basis (as Disney's Imagineers saw it) for future generations, before guests enter the 21st century and view a typical city apartment, a desert farm complete with the scent of fresh oranges, an underwater city, and a space colony.

In order to return home to 20th century earth, guests chose the method of travel: on land, undersea, or through space. Upon arriving, guests are left with a final thought, "If we can dream it, we really can do it.

The original Horizons pavillion was sponsored by General Electric, however this sponsorship deal expired on 30th September 1993 at which point GE decided not to continue sponsorship of Horizons. Disney continued to operate the attraction until it was closed in late 1994.

Horizons reopened in December of 1995 because both Universe of Energy and World of Motion were about to close for renovations the following month which would have left only Wonders of Life open on that side of the park. It was widely expected that Horizons would close permanently once Test Track opened.

Overall Horizons was a very well produced ,and educational attraction, that was well worth going to see.

Horizons closed on Jan 9th 1999.

pintrader, you brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks for such a great description.
Horizons was one of our favorites (and it sounds like it was one of yours too).

pintrader : Thanks for your elaborate response...Yes now I know that we have actually been on Horizons 12 years back!!

This thread makes me sad! I was a strange child who LIVED for the slow-moving dark, educational rides at Epcot. I remember reading about them in Birmbaum's and Epcot was the first thing I wanted to do when we got there. I've come to terms with the changes :p , but I stil get sad when I remember old Epcot.

Try this! Go to Digital Disney at:

http://198.65.141.39/

and find Epcot's Future World - East.

There is even a video of the ride (need Real player to view it).

It's a fun site!

I really miss Horizons! This ride and rides like it (Spaceship Earth) are what Epcot was all about, they were and are unique, one of a kind rides! Too bad we couldnt have these rides and the thrill rides both instead of getting rid of one to make room for the other.

I LOVED Horizons. I miss and I also miss World of Motion. I wish I had some video of both of those rides. I could ride them over and over again and NEVER get tired of them.

epcot_inside_horzions_2.jpg

I also loved those rides. They were fun & educational at the same time. I really miss the concept of the "museum ride", especially being replaced by thrill rides that my stomach & back have a hard time tolerating. Epcot is still my favorite park, especially World Showcase. To WDW execs: please leave Spaceship Earth as is--its the only one of these wonderful rides we have left!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter