What would you do for a couple of hours in San Diego?

rsleleux

DIS Veteran
Hi All! We leave in 2 weeks and I still haven't figured out what to do on the first day! Our plane arrives In San Diego at 11am and we have to get a rental car. We have big plans for each day like zoo, legoland, seaworld and day at lajolla! But what would you recommend for a couple of hours before we head to Coronado? I thought about driving to Point Loma but then I changed my mind, I am considering Balboa Park because I'm sure once we finish Zoo we won't have much time to explore it! Just thinking it will be so late on a Saturday that parking might be tough? What would you do?

I'm editing this to what would you do with only a couple of hours in San Diego, to see if I can some responses this way? TIA

Well, a few options really. The first is that you could just go to Coronado early and spend the day at the beach or shopping. In two weeks I can't guarantee you're really going to have "beach weather" but you can still walk and explore. The second option is that you could just do your La Jolla day ON your arrival day, since that's really only a half-day event. If you had something else that you wanted to do for a full day, like museums in Balboa or something, you could push that to what was going to be your beach day. The third, as you said, would be Balboa Park on your arrival day. Yes, a Saturday will make parking more challenging, but you shouldn't be totally out of luck around noon since it's not a holiday or special event (that I know of... don't hold me to it!).

Balboa Park, like you said, would be good...you could walk around and check out a museum, there are lots to choose from! Or you could go to the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla...don't know if you already have that planned for your day in La Jolla.
You could go to Mission Bay. Just walking around is fun, but there are also tons of playgrounds for your little one (assuming you have one lol) and it's a fun place for flying a kite if that's possible.
There's also the New Children's Museum downtown.

We are staying in La Jolla and the reason I put it for the last day was because we are leaving for Anaheim that day. We plan to have breakfast at Brockton Villa and explore Birch Aquarium before heading to DLR! I don't really know how far La Jolla is from Coronado that was why I never considered going there and back and then back to la jolla?

Also, our day of arrival is May 12th, the next day when we are at the Zoo will be Mother's Day so I am assuming Balboa Park will be kinda packed that day too? That was another reason I thought maybe I should go to the park twice instead of Point Loma. I also thought we should go to Coronado early and hang out there for the day but I didn't know if 6 hours would be too much time in Coronado? However I do want to spend some time there and if I can only go to Balboa Park for 3 hours and spend 3 hours in Coronado before dinner...that seems like I'm starting off a little too crazy? This is why I come here cause you guys know how crazy it really is or may not be that crazy at all?
SonnyJane, if you are working on Mother's Day I would like to thank you and Camonkeygirl personally for all your helpful input with planning this trip!

Balboa Park, like you said, would be good...you could walk around and check out a museum, there are lots to choose from! Or you could go to the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla...don't know if you already have that planned for your day in La Jolla.
You could go to Mission Bay. Just walking around is fun, but there are also tons of playgrounds for your little one (assuming you have one lol) and it's a fun place for flying a kite if that's possible.
There's also the New Children's Museum downtown.

I do have a 5 year old son! I do want to see Mission Bay and thought we could go there after Seaworld. It closes early on the day we will be there and we have been to the one in San Antonio a few times. It was either go see it then or head back to the beach in LaJolla?

Also, our day of arrival is May 12th, the next day when we are at the Zoo will be Mother's Day so I am assuming Balboa Park will be kinda packed that day too? That was another reason I thought maybe I should go to the park twice instead of Point Loma. I also thought we should go to Coronado early and hang out there for the day but I didn't know if 6 hours would be too much time in Coronado? However I do want to spend some time there and if I can only go to Balboa Park for 3 hours and spend 3 hours in Coronado before dinner...that seems like I'm starting off a little too crazy? This is why I come here cause you guys know how crazy it really is or may not be that crazy at all?
SonnyJane, if you are working on Mother's Day I would like to thank you and Camonkeygirl personally for all your helpful input with planning this trip!

Mother's Day Weekend should not be too bad at the Zoo or Balboa Park. Parking should be ok too, but you may have to walk a bit, as most people will drive around and around trying to get the closest parking possible. Most of the museums close between 4 and 5, which you may want to consider, depending on your arrival time. For the Zoo though, I would get there at 9, when we open, and we will be having our Bugs and Blooms Discovery Days, which usually involves more enrichment activities and information booths set up around the entrance areas.

I wish I could be there to meet you, but My Mom broke her wrist and had surgery this week, so I am leaving to Phoenix tomorrow. I hope you and your family have a great time though.

I wish I could be there to meet you said:
I am sorry to hear that too! Well you have a safe trip as well! Thank you so much for all your helpful input! I am much more prepared than I thought I would be! I am looking forward to our trip to the zoo! We do plan to be there at 9am and ride the bus first thing then go to the pandas from there, that's my son's school mascot so we have to see the pandas! I wish I could see the koala's do you know when they will return? I've got my tennis shoes packed and I'm ready to walk! Thanks again for all your advise!

I wish I could see the koala's do you know when they will return? !

While the main koala exhibit is under construction, there are currently a few in a temporary exhibit near the polar bears, across from the new 4D theater :)

One thing to consider - if you are there at 9, I would suggest visiting the Pandas first, before they get a long line, and then take the bus. It starts you out with a short walk, but also the bus doesn't start until 9:30, so you have a bit of time.

One thing to consider - if you are there at 9, I would suggest visiting the Pandas first, before they get a long line, and then take the bus. It starts you out with a short walk, but also the bus doesn't start until 9:30, so you have a bit of time.

Thanks for the tip! We leave tomorrow and we will going to the zoo on Sunday and plan to be there at 9am (we are staying in LaJolla so we will leave early) and we had planned to ride bus first but I will go straight to Pandas! Thanks again ladies!

Have a great time. Stop by the information booth right outside the Turnstiles. WE have volunteers there that are great with answering questions (and tell them I said Hi)

Old Town San Diego. Great Mexican restaurants, shops, sites, and museums.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter