What would you do? West Coast or East Coast DVC

hhoman

Mouseketeer
Hi All, just want to get opinions on what you would all do.

I currently live on the west coast and have 200 VGC DVCs. And 100 Poly DVCs. I am debating buying another 100 VGC DVCs and selling my Poly. As I assume most of you I are East coasters do you think it is unwise to own east cast DVCs for a west coaster and be forced to fly every 2 years, or do you all love owning at different locations?

If I felt forced to go to FL, I would definitely get rid of the Poly points and buy where I'm happiest owning, VGC,

I love WDW, it's not a bad feeling for me to be forced to go every two years. It's just long term would you all think financially having to travel every two years would you think it's too much of a commitment?

I live in California and I own all my points at WDW, we visit about 3 times per year, but both DH and I enjoy it, and don't consider it a burden to travel to the East Coast. We also visit DL a couple times a year when we can get cheap flights, but so far don't really see a need to own at the Californian.

I love WDW, it's not a bad feeling for me to be forced to go every two years. It's just long term would you all think financially having to travel every two years would you think it's too much of a commitment?

"Unwise" is hard for strangers to decide. How has it worked for you so far?

I currently live on the west coast and have 200 VGC DVCs. And 100 Poly DVCs. I am debating buying another 100 VGC DVCs and selling my Poly. As I assume most of you I are East coasters do you think it is unwise to own east cast DVCs for a west coaster and be forced to fly every 2 years, or do you all love owning at different locations?
I'd likely give it some time or at least buy the VGC first. You can always rent them if you need to.

We live in San Diego and own our DVC points at WDW. For us, it made very little sense to own at VGC as our Disneyland planning style is generally only a few weeks out -- maybe even just "next weekend." We wouldn't be using the Home Resort Advantage. We do pick up the occasional last-minute inventory at Grand Cal -- so flying is not always required when using our DVC points.

Then again, put another way, we already owned both our DVC at WDW and other west-coast timeshare long before VGC was announced. Perhaps we might have done it differently if the Grand Cal was selling 15-20 years ago, during our timeshare acquisition period.

Edited to add: I think the more important questions are:
  • What do you hope/want to do with your DVC points? How do you see ownership best working for you?
  • Are you unhappy with the Poly points? How are they failing you? (Why do you want to sell them to replace with VGC?)

Last edited:
We lived in California for 16 years, just moved to East Coast last summer. We own at WL. Never crossed my mind to buy into GC. We never had a problem getting a reservation at 7 month window there. I did not "enjoy" the air travel to get to WDW from California. Lived on central coast so had to take a puddle jumper to SFO...really expensive. And so trips to WDW not as frequent as we'd like. We would go to DL maybe once a year but to be honest, our last two visits there were less than enjoyable. When we lived on West Coast, I thought of DL as a long weekend getaway. I see WDW more of a vacation whether living on the West Coast or East Coast. If I were to visit California, I would maybe go to DL but be fine with just 2 days there and plan to go to San Diego or someplace else. But at WDW, I feel we can certainly easily spend a week....maybe 2!

So far I love it. It's been great going to Poly .

Then why crowsource since you already know YOUR answer? Yours is the only one that matters for you.

I can't stand the Grand and would never own there. We're in WA and own at bay lake. My opinion doesn't help you, right?

You are just like us, we own at both VGC and Poly. Personally I like owning at both. We live in California and I don't mind flying to WDW every year. I do a lot of collecting of miles and points so we usually find a cheap way to fly there. Personally I like going to both WDW and DL. They are different and I prefer to visit each once a year, rather than visiting one of them twice in the same year. Only you can make that decision though. If you only want to visit DL, I don't think it makes sense to own Poly.

We live 30 minutes :worship: from Disneyland and are annual pass holders but we ONLY own 160 points at VGC and 450 at BCV (ALL purchased before 2011) so can easily find reservations at 7 month mark or sometimes even later :idea: or use any of the 3 DLR Hotels on points WITHOUT the $95 fee.

We only FLY to WDW every 2 -4 years but do MONTHLY weekend staycations (one weekend per month) paired up with our annual passes during the other years. This DEFINITELY makes GREAT use of our DVC !!! :yay:
Due to living so close, traveling :car: to DL is NEVER an issue or food (cooler filled with food from home). Although we bought into DVC at the beginning knowing it was only for WDW at the time - we found that buying CLOSE to home was just as good !!! :teacher: :cloud9:

As the other posters say, " You maybe the only person to know what feels right for you !" :flower3:

We lived in California and visited DL many times and I worked there for a short time. We own all of our contracts at WDW. While DL is great, IMO WDW is even greater, more resorts, more parks, more restaurants, more to do which means a bigger bang for your buck.

:earsboy: Bill

We live in Oregon and own at several DVC in WDW and at VGC. My plan is to visit WDW one year, then DLR the next, then Aulani or a foreign park the third, then start over again.

We live in the Houston, Texas area and own at Aulani and fly there every 2 years. So maybe I am not a good judge on whether that is sensible but it is another 1600 miles for us to fly to Honolulu versus someone from LA flying to Orlando. I definitely think it is worth it. When we lived in Denver even though it was much closer to fly to LA and go to Disneyland we still flew to WDW. We like WDW that much.

Seriously only you can decide if it is worth flying to WDW or staying in California. Selling your Poly points will cost money and you will not recoup what you spent. So you will have less money to invest in VGC points. Does the money loss matter to you? And will you have the money you need to buy the same number of points (if you can find them) at VGC?

We lived in California and visited DL many times and I worked there for a short time.
SHOCK! :hyper2: I did not know that about you, Bill. Sure, that now adds context to your comments about seeing behind the curtain, or something along that line. I see ... :flower:

Do what makes you happy. If going to DLR is the best fit with that, do that.
We live in AZ. We own at both coasts.
One year we go to WDW 3-4 times, the next year to DLR 3-4 times. Works for us.
Fly 5 hours to one and drive 6 hours to the other.....that's the part I don't like!

West coast ( Seattle) here- own at Aulani and VGF. Wish I had VGC, and prob will at some point. We go to Aulani at xmas and WDW in October- both 11 month times. flights to WDW aren't too expensive, a fraction of Hawaii flights but of course it adds up with a family. We also keep Premier passes that are good for both coasts. We have done VGC at 7 mos for 2 visits now and go to DLR 2 or 3 times a year. I have a contact for an xmas swap for Aulani and VGC in 2018 I'm hoping works out.

Given how difficult it is to get into Poly at 7 mos now, I would look at when you are going to WDW. If your times are peak, buy there. If you do xmas at VGC, buy there. The $ per point is nearly the same resale or direct.

Good resorts both!

Thank you all. I decided to go with what I want vs if it's sensible. So I kept my Poly and Californian DVCs and added Aulani. I loved my Aulani trip and he idea of going every two years sounds great. Thanks for all your advice everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter