What Would You Do?

Nanseev

Mouseketeer
Scenerio: Budget is $1000-$1500 for family of 4 for 1 or 2 days. Any money used is less spending money on the cruise the following week.

13 yr old son is huge Harry Potter fan. 15 yr old Daughter has no preference. Son has been to Universal Hollywood. He wants a mix of HP in both parks, Butter Beer, but also wants Simpson ride, Jurrasic Park, MIB, King Kong, and a few others. Parents have no preference/feeling and would be totally ok with not going and saving the money for the cruise. But I also realize part of the experience is seeing the kids enjoyment and experiencing as a family.

Arriving on Red Eye from West Coast. Flight lands Friday morning 12/21 in Orlando at 8am. Staying at Doubletree at Universal Entrance Friday night and Saturday night. Husband will need to pick up family member at MCO Saturday 12/22 mid-day. Leaving 5am Sunday 12/23 morning to go to cruise out of FLL.

I CANNOT make a decision on what the best bang for my buck. Park hopper, # of days, express pass, etc. Some scenerios:

1. Go for broke - All 4 Park to Park both days, and less $ for cruise
2. All 4 Basic both days - son has to deal with no train ride
3. Do a 1-day park to park, and have 1-day basic (no real savings though)
4. Have kids go in to park by themselves both days
5. Go in as a family 1st day, send kids second day. Or kids and 1 adult second day, and other adults spends afternoon/evening with family member.
6. Have kids go both days by themselves
6. All four, One day Park to Park and spend the money for Express Pass - would need to decide whether Friday after red-eye or Saturday, keeping in mind one has to leave mid-day to pick up at MCO on Sat.
7. Plan on using Single Rider lines with rides that are long
8. Only buy kids Express Pass
9. One day, park to park with NO express pass. Get done what we can on Friday and relax on Saturday and count our extra money that we saved

Honestly, I am having a hard time justifying $1500 for us to go to Universal for two days, especially not knowing how we will feel after a Red Eye (maybe tire out early) and having to leave mid-day Sat but could go back Sat night. I was hoping to have more savings so that $$ wouldn't be an issue, but...things happen. I would be much more comfortable with approx $700 spending amount.

What would you do?

I don't see the option of switching hotels to one of the onsite that comes with Express Passes. That option should get added to your extensive list of ideas as it's a good one. ;)

Option 5. Go in as a family 1st day, send kids second day. Or kids and 1 adult second day, and other adults spends afternoon/evening with family member. Is the one I'd pick and I'd do Park to Parks both days.

The hotel was $550 per night, and I am paying $100 per night (corporate) for Doubletree, so it wasn't worth the hotel switch :-(

I should also note that I do have a small corporate discount for my Universal tix....so I can get all 4 park-to-park 2-day for $1000.

1. Go for broke - All 4 Park to Park both days, and less $ for cruise

This. Absolutely. The kids are old enough and I assume you guys are young enough that you can rally for the flight day.

I love cruises, and honestly apart from maybe some boozey drinks for me and fancy ice cream for my son (we love Royal Caribbean, and they have Ben and Jerry’s for extra), we just don’t buy all that much on cruises.

I would get the two day one park tickets for 4 people.

That train ride is not worth $60 per person IMHO. Esp for people wanting to save money. It is super short.

The train isn't the real reason to get the park to parks. Yes, a real Harry Potter fan will absolutely want to ride the train though. It's not the ride itself, it's things like going through Platform 9 3/4, seeing all the sites and landing in Hogsmeade. The ability to go between the parks by foot or train is the real perk. Crowds ebb and flow between the parks. Using the wait time app you can move to where crowds are lighter to take advantage.

I agree with the cruise money pp mentioned. Isn't everything pretty much already paid for? Isn't the appeal of a cruise?

I don’t see where you mentioned when you’re going. That would have a bearing on whether to get Express Pass or not.
I’d get a 3 or 4 day park to park pass. You may or may not feel like going to the parks arrival day. We fly from west coast too and I did the red eye once. I got very little sleep and that day was a write off. I was exhausted.

Me, unless the adults really want to go into the parks, I'd buy park to park tickets for the kids, 2 day ones. I'd also spring for express, as it will be less line waiting for the kids. Otherwise, go for broke, and get all 4 park to park, as then can stay together, and all use single ride when can. No express, and expect not to do everything.

Kids are old enough to ride train without parents.

And, since you have a break for airport pick up, if the kids can stay at the park while that is happening, they get bonus time, and so Saturday could be the express day.

I'd also make it a point to get up early, and do the must do rides, on Saturday. The parks will be very busy that week-end before Christmas, as all are most likely on school break. For the first hour or so, after opening, the lines are not too bad. Many don't get up early. Also, make sure you consider the time to go through City Walk's security. It can get busy. And sometimes, they open the parks early.

Also, by buying the tickets now, will help, as then can go straight to entry. Also, note that express passes are date and park(s) specific. And not refundable. They sometimes increase in price if they see demand for it. If the one day, park to park express pass for the 2 kids is at a price you can afford, I'd buy that now too.

What ever you choose, I hope your family has a great vacation, both at the parks and the cruise.

Nanseev, you are leaving soon and hope you have a great flight and vacation!

The hotel was $550 per night, and I am paying $100 per night (corporate) for Doubletree, so it wasn't worth the hotel switch :-(

I should also note that I do have a small corporate discount for my Universal tix....so I can get all 4 park-to-park 2-day for $1000.

I’m sure it’s too late since you leave today BUT if it helps someone else or you last minute -if you had the hotel for just Friday night you’d get EP for both Fri and Sat for all members of your party. I’m not sure what EPs are going for the weekend before Christmas but I think 8 EPs would be more than $450.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter